What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Out of interest has there been anymore detail on how much of the club Ken Sayer is going to own for $1mill a year? Does the deal also include main shirt sponsorship rights?

Bid submission date has been pushed back but the bid itself is complete. We'll be working on members and enticing more sponsors to jump on board between now and the new date for submission which will be soon after the ic is formed. More on the story here below..

'Polar Bears' bid kept on ice
RUGBY LEAGUE
1 APR 11 @ 09:18AM BY TORIN CHEN

FAN-TASTIC: Tim Blazey, Robert Lopez, Jack Blazey, 4, Col Johnston, Alex Stojanovic. Picture: DAVE SWIFT
THE Central Coast Bears’ bid to be re-admitted to the NRL in 2013 has been delayed by the yet-to-be-formed Independent Commission.

The Bears were hoping to submit their bid in March.

That submission date is now on ice as the NRL waits for the inaugural commission.

Bears boss and North Sydney Bears legend Greg Florimo said the club’s bid was complete.

“We are ready to go and we are waiting for the NRL to call for submissions,” he told the North Shore Times.

“In the meantime we will keep trying to build our membership.”

The rival bids include PNG, Perth-based WA Reds, a second Brisbane team, Ipswich and Central Queensland.

The Bears will inform the NRL they have more than 6200 financial members, 7500 juniors, a major sponsor in Mortgage House and a NSW Government pledge to build a $3.5m training centre at Mount Penang on the Central Coast.

The team’s home games would be at Gosford’s Bluetongue Stadium although the Bears will play at least one game a season at North Sydney Oval.

“It’s important we recognise the tradition and history that North Sydney brings to the Central Coast Bears operation,” Florimo said.

Former North Sydney Bears star David Fairleigh will be the coach and the club has earmarked West Tigers forward and former Central Coast junior Chris Heighington as a possible captain.

The club is also likely to target NSW and Sydney Roosters halfback Mitchell Pearce and Manly five-eighth Kieran Foran, who are former North Sydney junior representatives.

“We will be looking for players who are well respected on and off the field and have the ability to shape our culture,” he said.

BEAR FACTS
 The Central Coast Bears have more than 6200 financial members
 70 foundation sponsors ($5500 each)
 More than 7500 junior players
 A coach-in-waiting, former North Sydney star David Fairleigh
 Major sponsor Mortgage House
 NSW Government pledge to build $3.5m training centre
 For further details see centralcoastbears.com.au

http://north-shore-times.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/polar-bears-bid-kept-on-ice/

Reminder that tonights Souths vs Manly game will be played @ Bluetongue Stadium. There will be a contigent of local central coast bears fans with their own bay. Game is on @ 730 in nsw and 930 in qld.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can't say I'm surprised re the putting the bid in, I've said all along that it was a stupid idea putting a bid in bfore a call has even been made.

Can't say I'm surprised re the putting the bid in, I've said all along that it was a stupid idea putting a bid in bfore a call has even been made.

Why is it a stupid idea if it was a goal? This date was conceived when the ic were suppose to form on November 1st, 2010. To each their own, the merits now means we can further build our memberships in the next few weeks and submit potentially 7000 members as opposed to 6228.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because it has been evident for a long time that the decison of wether to call for expansion wasn;t going to happen before May/Jun at the earliest. They kept touting this date for submission like it was important, now they have egg on their faces. It isn;t that important but I had to smile when I read it as I have been saying for a number of months that it was pointless setting a date for submission before we even know if there will be a call for tenders.

Because it has been evident for a long time that the decison of wether to call for expansion wasn;t going to happen before May/Jun at the earliest. They kept touting this date for submission like it was important, now they have egg on their faces. It isn;t that important but I had to smile when I read it as I have been saying for a number of months that it was pointless setting a date for submission before we even know if there will be a call for tenders.

Excuse me but how do we have egg on our faces? The whole point for the submission date was to reach a quota of memberships. Set @ 5000 by March 31st, but currently stand at 6228. So we have broken our quota by 1228 extra members. It was never a be all or end all date anways, just a date to have so we can have a time set for, if anything, completing the bid and shoring up 5k members. Both have been accomplished. Anything added now is a bonus. I might have touted the date but the bid team certainly didn't and I fail to see how egg is on anyones face if everything is shored up.

Beowulf

Juniors
Excuse me but how do we have egg on our faces? The whole point for the submission date was to reach a quota of memberships. Set @ 5000 by March 31st, but currently stand at 6228. So we have broken our quota by 1228 extra members. It was never a be all or end all date anways, just a date to have so we can have a time set for, if anything, completing the bid and shoring up 5k members. Both have been accomplished. Anything added now is a bonus. I might have touted the date but the bid team certainly didn't and I fail to see how egg is on anyones face if everything is shored up.

Exactly! by self-imposing a 31Mar deadline, we've forced Central Coast and northern Sydney people to decide - support the Bears or not. We'll, they've spoken. And with the NRL talking to TV Execs now, they have certainty of support re at least one contender...if there was no self-imposed deadline, the bid would just meander along like some others and would prob have a lot less members as we speak....and membreships as far as the CC Bears are concerned is the #1 priority.

Beowulf

Juniors
And more on the Bears from a north shore fans perspective:
http://north-shore-times.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/lifetime-love-for-mighty-bears/
TIM Blazey, 41, has been supporting the Bears since he won a North Sydney jersey from the North Shore Times at age six.
Mr Blazey, of Castle Cove, his wife Samantha and children, Jack, 4, Erica, 3, and Saskia, four months, are all Bears members. And Jack is an under-6 representative for the Willoughby Roos.
Mr Blazey’s first job as a teenager was selling ice cream at Bears games at North Sydney Oval in 1984.
He has been volunteering at Bears membership drives and junior rugby league clinics and selling merchandise at shopping centre booths on the Central Coast and North Shore.
He says disillusioned Bears fans on the North Shore will return to the game in large numbers if the Bears are re-admitted to the NRL.
“The Bears have been around for 100 years and people just can’t change teams after 100 years of history,” he said.
“You can’t force people on the North Shore to follow Manly. They have given up on rugby league and it’s Bears or no-one for the North Shore.”
While Mr Blazey is happy to travel to the Central Coast for Bears games, he can’t wait to see the Bears return to their traditional den on the North Shore.
“I remember sitting under the fig tree at North Sydney Oval,” he said.
“I want to do that with my children as well.”

Big thank you to South Sydney for bringing this game to Bluetongue Stadium, the bear den. It should be a cracker of a game tonight regardless of injuries and missing players. There will be Central Coast Bears supporters at the game, there will also be a dozen at the Broncos vs Panthers game. Big thanks again to Souths & Manly. Best of luck to both. Go the Bears!!

Bay City

Juniors
Good crowd tonight again at CC. Any more games this year?

TV didn't give any recognition to Bears fans (that I heard) whereas listening to ABC Radio pre-game they did mention the Bears contingent in the crowd.

Garts

Bench
I didn't see any red and black. To be fair though I was not paying much attention and the tv cameras might not give them much attention, all 3 of them :)

juanfarkall

Coach
I didn't see any red and black. To be fair though I was not paying much attention and the tv cameras might not give them much attention, all 3 of them :)

Didn't watch the game but hopefully you can tell me the answer to this...'
Did the TV cameras manage to catch an image of the Manly fan who travels to away games ?
Have heard that such a person exists but have not seen it.

Garts

Bench
Didn't watch the game but hopefully you can tell me the answer to this...'
Did the TV cameras manage to catch an image of the Manly fan who travels to away games ?
Have heard that such a person exists but have not seen it.

Some will say they are extinct like the tasmanian tiger but I did spot a small but vocal number tonight.

*photos

The Central Coast Bears Community Watch
(Bluetongue Stadium: Souths vs Manly 1st April)

Central Coast Bears financial members now stand @ 6300+.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Crowd, not surprisingly, seemed vast majority Souths and Manly fans. Are these fans from CC and likely to follow the Bears? If they are that is a great crowd, if they are mostly travelling fans then the 500 or so Bears fans would be a little disapointing in a crowd that size?

The crowd was spread out for the most part, sure there was one large contigent of 500+ CCBEARS fans behind the goal post side, while another few hundred CCBears supporters were spread around the sides of the stadium. Then there were CC locals who don't have CCBears merchandise yet but were very present at the game. To cut a long story short, pretty much all of the merchandise from the CCBears stall was sold out. Meaning there was more red&black leaving the ground than that entered the ground.

The cameras kept zooming in on the same Manly fan section and there were a few Bunnies supporters out there. But don't let the cameras fool you, there was alot more CCBears supporters actually there than appeared on TV :)

BTW I have to ask, what's with the subliminal remarks lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts