What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a few people that I need to take the time out for and give a massive shout out in regards to their contributions and countless hours of volunteering for the Central Coast Bears bid.

Col Johnston
Todd Nelson & family
Ros Dare
Tim Blazey
Alan McLoughlin
Joe Avvenevole & family
Darren Welsby
Charlene Cook
Michael Hanley
Ben Wrigley
Robert Lopez

There are others I have forgotten too but all you people are champions and without your tireless work, the Central Coast Bears bid could not have accomplished what it has since being launched. Greg Florimo and David Fairleigh might be part of the head of the bid but you guys & gals are undoubtably the heart and backbone of the bid.

[URL="http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/album.php?profile=1&id=72707929443"]
[/URL]

The next Central Coast Bears membership drive is on @

SATURDAY 9TH APRIL
EVENT: Erina Fair Membership Drive
TIME : From 9am outside Dymocks

also, this Sunday (10th April) the North Sydney Bears vs. Central Coast Centurions in the NSWCup.

Beowulf

Juniors
There is a few people that I need to take the time out for and give a massive shout out in regards to their contributions and countless hours of volunteering for the Central Coast Bears bid.

Col Johnston
Todd Nelson & family
Ros Dare
Tim Blazey
Alan McLoughlin
Joe Avvenevole & family
Darren Welsby
Charlene Cook
Michael Hanley
Ben Wrigley
Robert Lopez

There are others I have forgotten too but all you people are champions and without your tireless work, the Central Coast Bears bid could not have accomplished what it has since being launched. Greg Florimo and David Fairleigh might be part of the head of the bid but you guys & gals are undoubtably the heart and backbone of the bid.

[/URL]
You forgot to add the name of that Bears bloke who received all the publicity at the Brisbane 2 launch! What was his name again???!!!!:D

http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/04/07/central-coast-is-the-way-forward/

Central Coast the way forward for NRL

If the NRL wants to match rival codes in terms of revenue, then the Central Coast Bears must be the next team to join the competition. A club on the Central Coast for the 2013 season would ensure NRL domination of the eastern seaboard.
The A-League has teams in Sydney, Newcastle and Gosford, and the emergence of the Greater Western Sydney Giants in the AFL means that rugby league’s stranglehold on Sydney may loosen.

The Central Coast Bears have created a website that aims to attract members and support for the bid. Over 6000 people have already signed up for membership. The Bears have also attracted a number of high profile ambassadors such as Joe Hockey MP, Mark Skaife and rugby league personalities Matt Orford and Wayne Pearce.

Pearce is quoted on the site saying, “Central Coast needs a team… that the locals can feel one hundred per cent connected too.”
With a population of over 300 000, the Central Coast has only the Mariners A-League franchise to support in any of the national football competitions. It is a shame, considering the 20,000-seat capacity Bluetongue Stadium, which is situated on Gosford’s beautiful Brisbane Waters.

However, there has been an argument for creating a 17th NRL club elsewhere. Craig Davidson, a director in a bid campaign for a second Brisbane-based club, has publicly said that a team on the Central Coast would hurt nearby clubs Newcastle and Manly.

Nathan Tinkler’s recent takeover of the Knights means that money will not be an issue for the club for a long while. And put simply, those who favour expansion into Perth or Adelaide need to look at the failings of the Western Reds and Adelaide Rams in the 1990s.
A nursery for NRL players, the Coast has produced current stars such as Mitchell Pearce and Chris Heighington, making the idea of a club in the area even more attractive.

Sgt. Kabukiman

Juniors
Good article, except for:

the emergence of the Greater Western Sydney Giants in the AFL means that rugby league’s stranglehold on Sydney may loosen.

:lol:

Oh, and the mis-informed arguments against Perth and (to a lesser extent) Adelaide are geniused. Not to mention the claim that Pearce comes from the Coast, when he doesn't.

Alright, alright, it's a garbage article and I just like it because it's pro-Bears ;-)

adamkungl

Immortal
Article lets itself down here:
And put simply, those who favour expansion into Perth or Adelaide need to look at the failings of the Western Reds and Adelaide Rams in the 1990s.

and here:

and the emergence of the Greater Western Sydney Giants in the AFL means that rugby league’s stranglehold on Sydney may loosen.

Tbh the Roar is sh*thouse so I shouldnt expect much

Central Coast Bears
FAN FORUM WITH DAVID FAIRLEIGH...

On Thursday night 7th April between 7pm – 8pm, I will be on our Facebook Fan Page talking all things football and answering your fans questions related to the Central Coast Bears Football Department.

To take part in this Q&A with me simply email your questions to us before 6pm on Thursday and then log in from 7pm to 8pm to view David’s responses.

Email your questions to:
robert@centralcoastbears.com.au

Oh, and the mis-informed arguments against Perth and (to a lesser extent) Adelaide are geniused. Not to mention the claim that Pearce comes from the Coast, when he doesn't.

Alright, alright, it's a garbage article and I just like it because it's pro-Bears ;-)

I don't think it was a very good article either and I don't necessarily like the fact it's slightly ill-informed in regards to other bids especially Perth. However it is a CCBears article and good or bad, professional or amateur it still toots the Bears horn. So posted it has been.

Beowulf

Juniors

I'm guessing, but I presume the writer was inferring by 'Coast', the CC Bears catchment area - Pearce is of course a North Sydney junior....

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Bears having many things going for them, being the most valuable out of the 3 strongest bids isn't one of them imo. Also lol that 10 NSW teams isn't enough for the NRL to combat an unwanted AFL team in Western Sydney! As said a poor article in so many regards.

Q&A with David Fairleigh (Central Coast Bears coach & Football Operations manager)
http://www.facebook.com/centralcoastbears

Q1) David our first question comes from Mark. I keep hearing different numbers of games that will be played at North Sydney Oval. Can you please clarify; if the Bears come back in the competition, how many (if any) games will be played at North Sydney Oval? Also, Ray Hadley & The Continuous Call Team on 2GB are very anti-Central Coast Bears. Can you please offer to go onto their show and explain the bid so they can get a better understanding of it.

A1)
Mark, Thank you for the question. At this stage it is our intention to play one home game a year at North Sydney Oval and possibly a trial game. We have offered to speak to Ray on a few occasions now to highlight our key objectives for the Central Coast, at this point in time he has not wanted to speak with us, hopefully that will change in the future.

Q2) Our next question comes from Shane. Throughout last year and earlier this year - we were told that the end of March was the cut off time to get the NRL bid together, now that we have passed the end of March - is everything on track or are we facing delays?

A2) Shane, we are still on track to kick off for 2013, that has always been our goal and that is what we continue to work towards. With the forming of the NRL independent commission taking longer than expected it has not helped with us getting some clear direction from the NRL.

Q3) Hello David, congratulations on being inaugural head coach of the Bears, what do you believe you and your staff can bring to the table to attract talented players if and when the bears enter the NRL? How would you persuade them to overlook metropolitan city based teams if money weren't everything a particular player was after?

A3) It is really important that we have very qualified and experienced staff that are used to working in the NRL. In the early days they will play a big part in creating our standards and team culture. I’m confident that a team on the Central Coast will attract the games best players.

Q4) With the independent commission still dragging their feet and most people now tipping they won't be in control until the second half of the current season, obviously this has delayed the original date of our formal bid, my question is will this effect the strength of our bid? And also is 2013 looking a bit too optimistic to enter the nrl with possibly 2014 being a more realistic target?

A4)
Reuben, as I said in response to Shanes question earlier, 2013 is our goal and will be the first season where the new broadcasting money comes into play. So I am confident we can achieve that date, however we do understand the final decision could be put to 2014 which at the moment is out of our control.

Q5) HI Dave, Been a Bears fan since I was 8 years old. I remember in the 90’s when the Bears made the Finals, they played Parra in what I believe was the toughest most brutal game of football I’ve ever seen. You were crunched in a sickening tackle that left you with a badly broken nose. That year North’s arguably had their best team since 1922 and were real contenders for the premiership.

A5)
In the heat of the finals and upcoming Grand Final not much was said about that game, but I remember it for the almost superhuman intensity that Parra played with. I remember thinking.. “well no team in the world would have beaten Parra today” do you feel as I do? I do remember that game very well Ivy. I went into surgery the next day to have my nose reconstructed and had magnets attached inside my nose for around eight weeks to keep it straight. On that night Parramatta were very physical and got off the line in defence very quickly. I remember we played some dumb football that night and should have tried to use the football more. As a coach its always good to see your teams getting off their line hard in defence.

Q6) Next question is from bart. I’m a bears fan and am keen on reinstatement into the nrl, but I have come across people on the coast who simply don’t want the team to be known as the bears, do you have any ideas on how to convert the negative opinions into positive ones?

A6)
Bart, As a local I understand their concerns but the Bear brand does play a very important role in this bid process, both historically and commercially. Make no mistake this will be very much a Central Coast NRL team, however we need a team to show the community how we intend to interact with them.

Q7) Our next question comes from Brian of Wyong, NSW. Hey David, How do you see the Central Coast juniors being involved with the Central Coast Bears?

A7)
Thanks Brian, the Central Coast have always had tremendous talent in their Junior League. At the moment there are some really good people and structure in place from the Central Coast division and CRL. I am confident we can add some resources and experience to what they have already achieved to create a genuine pathway for local kids into the NRL.

Q8) Hello David, I have never been one to follow football or allow my children to play and I do support the local A-League team the Mariners. My husband has signed up our family as members of the Central Coast Bears as we believe it will be an important asset within the community.

A8)
Thanks for your support there are many people like you who really don’t have an affinity to the NRL but do understand the benefits that this will bring across the region. I’m sure over time your children and your children’s children will gain a strong sense of community by supporting their very own NRL team.

Q9) Thomas has asked, Hi David. As a member of the Central Coast Bears, I understand that you are all working hard to put your bid together. What is the single most important thing that us, as members can do to support the bid and increase chances of success?

A9)
Thomas, thank you for your support. You might have noticed we have some fantastic volunteers who are always driving memberships. Every new member we sign up is one more reason the NRL cannot deny a team on the Central Coast. So as a member please encourage family, friends, workmates, neighbours to sign up and support the Bears. If every member signed up one new member we would have over 12,500 financial members.

Q10) Ros of Charmhaven has the following question, Are the central coast bears able to meet with Nathan Tinkler regarding the central coast juniors as Nathan has been reported in the press wanting to pour money into our region which could have an impact down the track for the central coast cubs.

A10)
Thanks for your question Ros, It is my understanding that the Tinkler Group will be focussing their priorities on Junior League throughout the entire Hunter Valley. When we get a license we will then be able to work towards creating pathways for the Central Coast Junior League players. But until that time it is difficult to get some solid direction in relation to Junior League and Junior League Rep teams. and yes you're my favourite volunteer ?;-)

Q11) Our next question is from Jack of Gosford, Dave, How are you going in signing players without having a license. Are their players you are interested in now?

A11)
Yes Jack you are right, it is hard to sign players without a team, however with my current role in the New Zealand Warriors it has allowed me to speak to many players about my intentions to bring them to the Central Coast Bears.

Q12) We have been given some questions from JT Da Costa of QLD.
Are you excited about the coaching the Central Coast Bears?
Will the Central Coast Bears be targetting big names if they are successful in entering the NRL?
What is the ideal number/percentage of local juniors in the make up of the team?

Is there any key trainers and/or assistant coaches identified?

A12)
Thanks JT, It's a great honor to be involved in the start up process. Yes this is a business we're you are judged by your results, and to get results you need the best players. Bring on the big names.There is no number of juniors that you must have in a team, if they're good enough they will be in. I do have a list of people that i have worked with from Newcastle, Parra , and the Warriors that i would like to work for the CCB if they were available

Q13) Mark F asks three questions. Here are the first two.
1. If the Central Coast Bears are admitted into the NRL for 2013 what do you
think will be your biggest challenge in season one to ensure we are
competitive on the field?

2. Given that player misbehaviour is once again in the news, what steps will
you take to ensure the Bears remain as free as possible from controversy?

A13)
The biggest challenge will to be competitive, i understand that i'm probably not going to get the best players so it's important we get the "right" players for our club. Professional, mentally tough and do the little things well. At the CCB we will have a strick code of conduct that i'm sure the players will buy in to. If not they won't be around too long.

Q14)Mark F’s third question, My biggest concern about the Central Coast Bears bid is that as a former Bears fan with few links to the Central Coast, I am concerned that most of the marketing seems to be centred around the Central Coast 'deserving' a team and have their 'own' team etc. Do you have a message for fans like me who really just want to see the Bears back in action so we can once again support OUR team?

A14)
Mark no matter how you look at this bid there are people who love the Bears such as yourself and there are people on the Coast that really don't care about the Bears but they just want a team. This is a unique situation, you are very much valued and have provided the passion to get this thing going. The Central Coast is a market that we had to work very hard to gain some confidence with the locals given the history of other failed attempts.

Q15) Owen asks. Well done with the CC Bears Bid, we should be admitted:David Gallop has made the point ‘expansion has to be linked to the strength of the existing competition (both on and off the field) as well as the contribution that a prospective team or area can make to the game. History of expansion in all codes suggests that unless these two areas are addressed at the same time then it is not likely to be successful

A15)
Owen we must prove how having a team on the CC will add value to the game. We're very proud of what we've achieved without a team. We have a strategic plan to ensure we combine commercial, community, football and business to add value to the NRL.

Q16) Finally, Tim of Roseville asks
1. Aside from raw ability, what are the personal traits of players that you will be looking for when recruiting?
2. Are there programs/plans in place to engage with junior players in the Bears' catchment area that will be rolled out once a license is granted?
Cheers, Tim

A16)
Tim different positions require different traits but the common theme with our players will be in their attention to detail, a good attitude and that they want to improve their football. I'm confident we will have a winning environment. We have a number of community engagement / football / school programmes ready to roll out as soon as we get a licence.

Q17) How are we going to address these matters? Are we going to have any more major sponsorships announced? How are going to ensure we offer more than the several QLD bids and WA Reds?

A17)
There will be more announcemnts regarding sponsorships as the bid progresses. Our catchment is 1000,000 people and amongst all of this are some very serious businesses that have expressed interest in becoming a partner with us. Our main hurdle is not having a licence.

The next Central Coast membership drives are on @

SATURDAY 9TH APRIL
EVENT: Erina Fair Membership Drive
TIME : From 9am outside Dymocks

SUNDAY 10TH APRIL
EVENT: North Sydney Bears vs Central Coast Centurions, all three grades
VENUE: North Sydney Oval
TIME : From 12pm

Sgt. Kabukiman

Juniors
The Bears having many things going for them, being the most valuable out of the 3 strongest bids isn't one of them imo. Also lol that 10 NSW teams isn't enough for the NRL to combat an unwanted AFL team in Western Sydney! As said a poor article in so many regards.

Sounds like you're just a little bit upset that the Bears have put together a far superior bid than the Reds, have more money, more support, a better stadium... Don't worry, there's room for your fellas, too, but the Bears are a certainty.

Why are most people in the media so anti the Bears?

They are not normally that smart...

How did you come up with this conclusion? channel 10s media has been really supportive of the CCBears, as has all of the footy show panel except for fatty. Channel 7 has also been supportive due to John Singleton. We have had great coverage in most newspapers. Have you been listening to Peter Peters and Ray Hadley?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts