What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beave

Coach
I know this got throw around a lot in the past........ but what about Adelaide??? Would the NRL assist in moving them there??? S.A government perhaps???? Hindmarsh is a better stadium than shark park, might even add some $$$ into the new TV deal?? I don't know, I'm just throwing shit out there.

I would be gutted for the Shark fans in the shire (or wherever) but surely seeing the logo and colours still surviving has to be better than the club dying and ceasing to exist all together?? They would still get to see them play every few weeks in Sydney against the opposition teams. The last thing I would want to do is piss off the sharkie fans but I just can't see them trucking along like this if we don't get a good tv deal end of next year.

Perth Red

Post Whore
As I said in my last post, Adelaide is a tough nut to crack. It needs significant development, funding and promotion of the game. Would the Sharks organisation be capable and motivated to do that? Maybe if the NRL offered an extra $4mill a year on top of the NRL grant they could but parachuting a club into an area with no local infrastructure or development plan ,ala Storm, is not a good long term model for development of the game in that state. I'd be offering the SARL the $4mill and encouraging Sharks to take 4 games a year, running a SG Ball and NSW cup team out of Adelaide then eventually a joint operation between the Sharks and SARL to run the Southern Sharks out of Adelaide.

Sucks for Cronulla fans but reality is the Shire is sending a clear message that they aren't that interested in having an NRL club by not getting behind the one they have got.

docbrown

Coach
Sydney City Sharks.

Would take both from being on periphery to being on the same level as the Dragons/Bulldogs etc.

Problem solved.

Also... problems created...

On the Sunday Footy Show this morning the "Central Coast Sharks" idea was brought up again. Paul Gallen was guest panelist and said it is something we will now need to look at.

That's a no go. With the amount of groundwork already done by the Bears bid and the reluctance of the Sharks to venture out of the shire, it won't work now.

The Central Coast Bears as an establishment has 6500 financial members. It has 40+ local businesses on side as sponsors and partners. It has major sponsorship deals. It has playing rights to Bluetongue Stadium. It has government grants to build a HQ/Sports Center @ Mt. Penang, CC.

It has affiliation to all junior Central Coast clubs, to the CRL, to the CCDRL. With weekly initiatives, events and membership drives. The Central Coast is Bear country. Rightfully so, because the resources and respect have been given to the communities of the Central Coast to try and make this work.

Dedication and committment have been shown by both the Bears and Central Coast.

Any other suggestion is either being incredibly naive or completely incompetent.

This is RL we are talking about. Our ability to be both of those things is part of our historical culture!

At the end of the day, it's the Bears who have supported and poured resources into the Central Coast. It's the Bears whom venture out into the community each and every week. The Bears who get down to the hardwork and work with the establishments on the Central Coast.

The Bears whom have been a part of the community for some time now. Who are being led by Central Coast residents on their bid team.

People should realize by now that regardless of what rumours and grapevine talking is being said, we'll keep doing our thing and signing on new members. Working out deals with more sponsors, building on the equity and preparing to enter the competition in 2013.

And the more negativity that is brought up by the media and has no relevance to what the Central Coast Bears are actually doing, gives me more hope that we are getting close to a green light. If we weren't a threat to expansion then no one would be talking about us. Good or bad.

applesauce

Bench
If the CC want a RL team beggars can't be choosers.

This is BEARS fans that don't want the Sharks on the coast. If they wanted to support a RL team and follow the game with their own true team, if done right they have no excuse not to support it.

Yet another reason this bid seems to be more North Sydney Bears than CC.

I would be happy if the Sharks moved to Brisbane or the Sunshine Coast or CQLD. Probably be under a different name due to the lack of Sharks (in BNE & CQLD) but that is a simple problem to fix.

axl rose

Bench
Sydney City Sharks.

Problem solved.

Souths held talks with Politis/Packer regarding a merger in the 90s it went somewhere along the line of Easts having all the board members and the team colors and in 'return' we will also have your juniors thanks for coming.

This is BEARS fans that don't want the Sharks on the coast. If they wanted to support a RL team and follow the game with their own true team, if done right they have no excuse not to support it.

Yes, it's North Sydney:roll:

That's why all this money is being poured into the Central Coast.. that's why Central Coast businesses are jumping on board. That's why the CCDRL and it's clubs have affiliated themselves with the Central Coast Bears bid. Because it's obviously North Sydney...:sarcasm:

We're not beggers. We're workers. Maybe if clubs had taken initiative and put in the same amount of work, they would be in a slightly better position. Sorry, but the Central Coast is taken.

But you are right it is the BEARS fans who want it but I don't have to tell you that, 75% of the members whom live on the CC can tell you that.

If the Sharks or anyone else wants to relocate, then relocate into QLD. Since no bid has an identity anyways.

**BTW CQLD has heaps of tiger sharks off it's shores and Brisbane River has one of the biggest concentration of Bullsharks in the world.

docbrown

Coach
Yes, it's North Sydney:roll:

That's why all this money is being poured into the Central Coast.. that's why Central Coast businesses are jumping on board. That's why the CCDRL and it's clubs have affiliated themselves with the Central Coast Bears bid. Because it's obviously North Sydney...:sarcasm:

Honestly - I do believe Central Coast deserves its own team and I believe that the Bears are the best option because they can also revitalise interest in Sydney's Northern Suburbs as well. I think they are also able to bring away support to alot of their Sydney games as well which is an advantage they have over any other bid.

However, despite whether or not you believe that it won't happen, if the Central Coast Bears don't get accepted do think the group can continue to hold it together and maintain supporter interest for another 5 or more years? Especially if 2 other teams are granted positions instead.

smithie

Juniors
I see only two real solutions for the Sharks.

1. A progressive relocation to either Adelaide or Wellington/Christchurch by moving a set number of home games each year. e.g. 2012 - 3 games, 2013 - 6 games, 2014 - full relocation. This would require funding from the NRL and SA or NZ government.

2. Become a NSW Cup side only and feeder side to a NRL club. This would enable Brisbane II, Perth and Central Coast to enter the competition.

beave

Coach

I would be happy if the Sharks moved to Brisbane or the Sunshine Coast or CQLD. Probably be under a different name due to the lack of Sharks (in BNE & CQLD) but that is a simple problem to fix.

you seen the size of the Bull Sharks found in the Brissy river???????? they are f**kin huuuuuuuuuge!!!

there we go, there's your BneII team........... the Brisbane Bull Sharks wearing light blue and a hint of maroon...........

any investors???

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Latest from Gallop, read into it what you will.

S-H: What's the biggest factor in expanding the game?
DG: ''There's an interesting issue around whether expansion should be done to shore up your heartland or whether it should be done as a strategic move into a new area to grow the game. Both have got merit and there is a mixture of those things across all of the applications so far. We would want a business plan that shows us sustainability in its own right but also something that brings growth for everyone. One of the first things for the commission to look at will be where we are placed strategically over the next few years, and expansion will be part of that.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...lying-start-20110430-1e1z7.html#ixzz1L4m2spQ0

adamkungl

Immortal
Sydney City Sharks.

Would take both from being on periphery to being on the same level as the Dragons/Bulldogs etc.

Problem solved.

pfft. I'm not sure why Roosters keep being brought up in merger discussions with basket case clubs. We don't need or want anything to do with them.

Souths held talks with Politis/Packer regarding a merger in the 90s it went somewhere along the line of Easts having all the board members and the team colors and in 'return' we will also have your juniors thanks for coming.

^this. :lol: I can accept any merger as long as the team is called Sydney (or Eastern Suburbs/East Sydney) Roosters and is run by the Roosters and plays in red white and blue.

Yes they can, if there are multiple choices...

Why would the CC or Perth, with potential bid teams that have a better business plan than the Sharks have EVER had, want a basket case club like the Sharks?

Quidgybo

Bench
Why would the CC or Perth, with potential bid teams that have a better business plan than the Sharks have EVER had, want a basket case club like the Sharks?
More likely it would be the bid team themselves who would get the club, through purchase of the NRL license from the existing club, rather than a basket case club coming to the area to put the bid team out of business,

But they wouldn't take on the basket case, just the NRL license and an obligation to preserve the Sharks name and colours. It would have as much to do with the current Sharks as the Bears bid does with the old North Sydney Bears. In the simplest sense they'd get what Russell Crow got with the Rabbitohs, a football club to run as good or as bad as they wish, but minus the obligation to keep it in the Shire.

If there are two expansion licenses made available and the Central Coast misses out on both then the bid team might have to pursue this avenue to purchase an existing license. Based on previous club sales, presumably the asking price starts at $3m and goes up from there.

If they were to try to purchase the Sharks license then I imagine the asking price would be significantly more if the bid team didn't want to commit to keeping the Sharks name and colours. The future of the Bears name and colours for the Central Coast team could be determined by how much the bid team wants to spend on the license.

Leigh

Beowulf

Juniors
The boat has sailed on Central Coast Sharks - they had their chance in 2005/6. The Bears have secured the area now, and D Gallop has said the Bears bid has attractions for connections to northern Sydney - a CC Sharks team wouldn't do that, and few Sharks fans would travel to Bluetongue, unlike Bears fans. The Bears have more potential for long term franchise success on the Coast than a Sharks team would, given the greater potential population and corporate support....so why have a weak franchise on the Coast when they can have a strong one?

If the NRL believe the WA Reds have won hearts and minds in the west also, the Sharks best bet (if they chose to relocate iso staying and fighting....and stay till the end is what I think they will attempt to do) is either a deal with a SEQ bid team or CQLD. I think there would be less problems with CQLD, and it ensures some sort of Sydney crowd support for the CQLD bid team, which would be negligible without a Sydney relationship.

This would allow the NRL to gain a QLD team for the TV benefits, gain WA for the timeslots and 'national' presence, and add the Bears. The Sharks keep a presence in the comp and their fans get to see them 7-8 times a year min. Like the CC Bears bid, the CQLD team could guarantee 1 home game at Shark park every year v Dragons, and they could retain Cronulla Sharks as a NSW Cup feeder.

Then when SEQ works its bids out, a team can be added there along with a NZ side in say 6-7 years. All sorted, close all expansion threads!

lockyrulz

Juniors
The boat has sailed on Central Coast Sharks
You keep telling yourself that champ.

My guess is the CC would accept any team that went there. It's only wanker hasrd core ex bears fans with no life that wouldn't.

No one really cares about them, if they did, the Bears would already be in the comp.

My guess is the CC would accept any team that went there. It's only wanker hasrd core ex bears fans with no life that wouldn't.

No one really cares about them, if they did, the Bears would already be in the comp.

Your guess is just that, an uneducated guess.

Perhaps you should give this thread, the official webpage www.centralcoastbears.com.au or their facebook http://www.facebook.com/centralcoastbears a thorough look through one day. Maybe catch up to where things are at before adding 0 value to a conversation?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

The Northern Eagles (Manly in a Bear suit) are proof the Coast wants their own team, not a half-arsed attempt at relocation.

BDGS

Bench

Hypocritical much?

Status
Not open for further replies.