What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Just post the link and leave it. Filling it up like this is exactly why the last one ended up locked.

Wrong. All threads that hit 3,000 posts are locked. If the pics weren't posted, other posts would've taken it to 3,000 eventually anyway.

3000 replies is an online testement to the Central Coast Bears bid. The fact we have to create another thread to keep the discussion going, proves that there is much still to talk about in regards to this bid. There is also a lot more information and up to date news left to be posted.

Go the Bears!

adamkungl

Immortal
I repeat myself far less than the tripe Bears supporters do throughout every single other expansion thread. Whenever something positve happens with another bid, the Bears fans are usually the first ones on the issue, and talk it down. Geez, paranoid your bid will fail much?

BDGS

I would happily stop posting in the Bears thread if Bears fans such as BDGS, Red&blackbear and co. would leave the other expansion bid threads alone, but thats not going to happen is it?

tbh half of the posts in the other threads are about why the bears are sh*t, can't blame them for defending themselves.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I repeat myself far less than the tripe Bears supporters do throughout every single other expansion thread. Whenever something positve happens with another bid, the Bears fans are usually the first ones on the issue, and talk it down. Geez, paranoid your bid will fail much?

I would happily stop posting in the Bears thread if Bears fans such as BDGS, Red&blackbear and co. would leave the other expansion bid threads alone, but thats not going to happen is it?

This thread is spam because so far all they have posted is stuff thats been said before, and is easily available on the bid website. No need for 5 pages of rehashing the Central Coasts website when all this is said in previous threads.

If they want to point out all the info about their bid in a new thread, we need to highlight all the warts too.

Don't be so dramatic.

The idea of the thread is really to simply post updates about the Bears bid - news like sponsorship, when Membership Drives are on, funding news, anything of that sort. One central place for supporters (and deriders) of the bid to learn what's going on. The other thing it's for is discussion on the merit of the Bears bid.

What you cannot deny, regardless of their level of aggression, is that the people you are mentioning are extremely passionate about the potential success of the bid. They want everyone to know about the bid, even if sometimes it might be to their detriment. It's their right to post what they want about the bid, and about other bids, in the same way it's your right to oppose it and put forward your case. For the most part you offer healthy discussion on the topic, even if you are anti-CC Bears, but this kind of whinging is sad. The thread will exist, the only reason it's been renewed is because LU automatically caps threads at 3,000 posts. To suggest there'll be nothing to post about the Bears again is a bit silly and therefore to suggest this thread is a waste is a bit silly.

The other option, as has been stated previously - don't like it, don't read it :)

BDGS

Bench

This thread is spam because so far all they have posted is stuff thats been said before, and is easily available on the bid website. No need for 5 pages of rehashing the Central Coasts website when all this is said in previous threads.

If they want to point out all the info about their bid in a new thread, we need to highlight all the warts too.

While i do enjoy reading a good sook, if you hadn't noticed i have stop replying to your similar post about the one topic about a week ago.

Oh and one more minor thing, i don't support the Bears.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Don't be so dramatic.

The idea of the thread is really to simply post updates about the Bears bid - news like sponsorship, when Membership Drives are on, funding news, anything of that sort. One central place for supporters (and deriders) of the bid to learn what's going on. The other thing it's for is discussion on the merit of the Bears bid.

What you cannot deny, regardless of their level of aggression, is that the people you are mentioning are extremely passionate about the potential success of the bid. They want everyone to know about the bid, even if sometimes it might be to their detriment. It's their right to post what they want about the bid, and about other bids, in the same way it's your right to oppose it and put forward your case. For the most part you offer healthy discussion on the topic, even if you are anti-CC Bears, but this kind of whinging is sad. The thread will exist, the only reason it's been renewed is because LU automatically caps threads at 3,000 posts. To suggest there'll be nothing to post about the Bears again is a bit silly and therefore to suggest this thread is a waste is a bit silly.

The other option, as has been stated previously - don't like it, don't read it :)

Frankly, CC Bears fans have very right to react to other bids - seeing as they have been ripped off for 11 years and counting.

An important thing to remember is that the Central Coast Bears NRL bid team and management have been absolutely professional in the way they are handling business.

The weekly membership drives have been a financial, marketing and community success. In over a year the Central Coast Bears have signed on close to 6000 financial members. A huge acknowledgement must be made of the volunteers whom gave up much of their free time to work in the membership drives.

It's also a very attractive bid for sponsors and corporate support. The potential the Central Coast Bears can give a growing sector of the country. Who by their own admission the general rugby league community have gotten right behind the bid, therefore the demand means very lucrative business for these sponsors and the corporate support gained by establishing a team on the Central Coast.

The “Bears” brand has also been a success because with it, it can be used to tap into the North Sydney and North Shore markets. Sponsors and corporate support from this sector has also been achieved through the brand and through the potential it brings.

There are many definite facts that are established with this bid
·

That the Central Coast Bears are a Central Coast team. Their headquarters, running of operations in all regards, their home ground and base community will be on the Central Coast. All home season games except 1 will be played at Bluetongue Stadium. The stadium the Bears helped build.
·

That the Central Coast Bears are acknowledging their historical links. North Sydney and North Shore will also be represented on a more sentimental but just as valuable level. The Bears brand will successfully re-connect with a large % of the rugby league community that became disenchanted with the NRL following the Bears demise. Red & black colours will be represented and an annual event game @ North Sydney Oval will be played.
·

There is equity, strong sponsorship and corporate support backed with a very strong business plan and financial planning for now and the future. The club will be self sustainable. There is a large core of local business partners already backing the bid. The Central Coast Bears have the needed support to build a state of the art Centre of Sports Excellence on the coast.
·

It will be a community driven team. Memberships will be the lifeblood of the Central Coast Bears. The Central Coast Bears will be engaging with the communities constantly. Including the junior rugby league, which have backed the bid and the appropriate rugby league bodies, which have also thrown their support behind the bid. The Central Coast Bears have charities and various programs involving the children, junior rugby league, local coaches, MAX employment to serve the community.

--
Alot of the bid war-of-words has been between the Queensland bids in the media and a few Bears fans online. The Central Coast Bears bid team and management have gone about their business in a professional way. Plus signing on members says more than mentioning possibilites in the media. Just my opinon.

Last edited:

Spitty

Juniors
I hadn't seen those photo's before, but I hadn't read all 3000 posts in the other thread either.

The day I see community support like that for the Brisbane 2 bid, is the day I'll believe Brisbane 2 deserve to be in the competition.

But, unfortunately I still have a bad feeling that the Bears will be a victim of TV wanting an extra Qld game.

Patorick

Staff member
Sorry to get all nostalgic, but I happened to stumble on this old article today, somewhat relevant to all this. Weird to look back on. Anyway, enjoy:

http://www.areacodes.com.au/area-codes-articles/2001/7/21/bears-target-fourth-super-12-franchise/

Bears Target Fourth Super 12 Franchise

Sydney Morning Herald

Saturday July 21, 2001

Sam North and Brad Walter

North Sydney, a 1908 foundation club, may switch codes unless the National Rugby League accepts John Singleton's proposal for a 16th team based on the Central Coast.

In the wake of Manly's impending takeover of the Northern Eagles, the Bears are set to apply for the fourth Australian licence to play in the Super12 rugby union competition from 2003.

Australian Rugby Union chief executive John O'Neill confirmed yesterday that preliminary iscussions had been held about basing the new team at NorthPower Stadium, which is managed by Norths.

One of the prime movers behind the push is North Sydney patron Joe Hockey, the influential Federal Minister for Financial Services and Regulation who had initially proposed that the Northern Eagles run both a league and a union side.

However, the Bears will take over the application if, as appears almost certain, the Northern Eagles fold and the NRL franchise reverts to Manly.

An Eagles board meeting scheduled for Monday night is expected to seal the fate of the merger, with Norths administrator Ferrier Hodgson yesterday warning that the 94-year-old club may seek damages from Manly.

But North Sydney is still hopeful of being able to stand alone at Gosford next season in a 16-team NRL competition and yesterday entered into a legal agreement with Singleton to form a Central Coast Bears outfit. Subject to the NRL granting the Central Coast team a licence, Singleton has agreed to pay $2million so that Norths can settle their debts arising from their insolvency in 1998.

The Sydney businessman, who previously helped finance Newtown and Western Suburbs, will also invest $3million in working capital in the Gosford-based side. North Sydney Leagues Club will contribute a further $800,000 a year to junior development and to operate a first-division side.

Singleton, who would own 80percent of the Central Coast Bears but said all profits would be poured back into the club, would also receive the management rights of NorthPower Stadium essentially the 21-year lease now held by Norths.

He said the proposal had the support of Gosford City Council and influential figures within the game, such as Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett, Melbourne chief executive Chris Johns and South Sydney president George Piggins.

But getting rival clubs to accept a $200,000 reduction in funding from the $2.5million annual grant they each receive from the NRL in order to accommodate another team remains the greatest hurdle.

A 16-team competition, however, would eliminate the two byes each side would receive in the 26-round competition planned for next year, thereby giving clubs the opportunity to earn additional revenue from an extra two games.

``That's got to be another $150,000, so they'd really be giving up nothing," Singleton said of the other 15 NRL clubs. ``To have a team on the Central Coast is, I think, mandatory.

``For the good of the game, it could be a wonderful competition next year if Souths are back, Manly's back and doesn't it feel good to hate them again and we've got a team on the Central Coast.

``It's the fastest growing area in Australia and second only to Brisbane for junior rugby league players."

Singleton said that rationalisation of the game's numerous governing bodies, as proposed in the NRL's strategic plan, was a further way to provide extra money for another side.

``Hopefully, commonsense will prevail," he said.

``The whole rugby league war was about pay television and I could imagine Foxtel looking at the market in the Central Coast and saying we've got to have rugby league there.

``But no kid in Gosford has ever grown up wanting to play for Manly. The people on the Central Coast don't want the Northern Eagles, and they certainly don't want Manly. They want the Central Coast Bears.

``If the Northern Eagles disappear and go back to Manly and are replaced by a team on the Central Coast, I think it will have the crowds of Newcastle as well as greater corporate support because it is closer to Sydney."

Ferrier Hodgson representative Graeme Campbell said that the alternative was that ``within a month there is a very real possibility of having the fourth Super12 team playing in Gosford".

O'Neill, who telephoned Northern Eagles chairman Ian Thomson yesterday, said the ARU would call for expressions of interest from throughout Australia for the fourth Super12 team. He described the Central Coast as a ``key area for rugby", adding that recent union matches at NorthPower Stadium had proved extremely successful.

To comply with the conditions set down by the NRL for their licence as the 15th team, Manly will have to continue playing as the Northern Eagles and share games between Brookvale Oval and NorthPower Stadium.

``I've got to say that our supporters don't want us to have to go up to Gosford to play," said Manly Leagues Club president Ken Arthurson, who also quashed speculation that Kerry Packer was bankrolling the Sea Eagles.

``If Norths can get a team on the Central Coast, I wouldn't oppose 16 teams."

THE STORY SO FAR

Northern Eagles likely to fold next week licence reverts to Manly; Norths in limbo.

THE SINGLETON PLAN

New Central Coast Bears club to play in 16-team competition; Singleton pays $2million towards Norths' debts, contributes $3m in working capital. Each club gets $2.3m annual NRL grant, a reduction of $200,000; clubs compensated through the elimination of byes.
In fairness though, I do support the Central Coast/Norths bid. I think they deserve it the most out of the current candidates. Whether their bid makes the most economic sense remains to be seen.

BDGS

Bench
you're right, that is an old article.

Not sure if a Central Coast Bears team would work directly after a failed Northern Eagles team, i think we would of seen that version of the Central Coast Bears die slowly in much the same fashion as the North Sydney Bears. Fans also would not of warmed to the team without the local ground work that has been done within the current Central Coast Bears bid.

I think the failed merger and being kicked out of the competition could be one of the best things that ever happened to the Bears in the sense that the Bears have no laid the ground work, if they moved there in 2000 or 2002 (as i said) it would of been seen as a North Sydney Bears team just moving a little more North but now they are undeniably a Central Coast team, the current Central Coast Bears.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
you're right, that is an old article.

Not sure if a Central Coast Bears team would work directly after a failed Northern Eagles team, i think we would of seen that version of the Central Coast Bears die slowly in much the same fashion as the North Sydney Bears. Fans also would not of warmed to the team without the local ground work that has been done within the current Central Coast Bears bid.

I think the failed merger and being kicked out of the competition could be one of the best things that ever happened to the Bears in the sense that the Bears have no laid the ground work, if they moved there in 2000 or 2002 (as i said) it would of been seen as a North Sydney Bears team just moving a little more North but now they are undeniably a Central Coast team, the current Central Coast Bears.

The background to the whoel CC Bears things is critical.
1. the Bears were told to relocate to Gosford or die - because NSO was not good enough for top grade rugby league - BUT apparently Brookvale Dump and Kogarah were OK - which is a fraud.
2. Souths subsequently played at NSO a few years later - so the relocation call based on NSO was a fraud.
3. The Bears committed to and embraced the CC - moved up there - but politics (from such as the CRL) kicked them out.
4. The Beagles was simply Manly killing the Bears and wanting Gosford Stadium for themselves. It wasn't a merger in any way shape or form.
5. Gallop put the Titans in over the CC Bears and actively helped them achieve this - a massive conflict of interest.

The Bears have been cheated for over a decade but still fight on. It's time justice was done.

Patorick

Staff member
Not to be antagonistic, but you forgot the bit about Manly/Delmege having to pay of Norths debts.

And the BBX Sponsorship story.

Carry on, though.

Not to be antagonistic, but you forgot the bit about Manly/Delmege having to pay of Norths debts.

And the BBX Sponsorship story.

Carry on, though.

exactly here is a link to an article from 2002, please take note of mark cannons attitude at the time. and also more importantly the retraction from the paper the day after it shoots down trackhead ronnies inane ramblings over the years

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-38991.html

Billythekid

First Grade
5. Gallop put the Titans in over the CC Bears and actively helped them achieve this - a massive conflict of interest.

I've said this before but im glad the NRL made this decision. We now have a fantastic new stadium and the GC are one of the more successful clubs in the NRL. We now also have a presence on the GC to prevent it being taken by other codes, namely the AFL.

Of course there is a conflict of interest. The NRL thought the GC was the better option so thats what they wanted to go with. I think they made the right decision.

BDGS

Bench
I've said this before but im glad the NRL made this decision. We now have a fantastic new stadium and the GC are one of the more successful clubs in the NRL. We now also have a presence on the GC to prevent it being taken by other codes, namely the AFL.

Of course there is a conflict of interest. The NRL thought the GC was the better option so thats what they wanted to go with. I think they made the right decision.

They did make the right decision, now its time for them to make the right decision again by putting in WA and consolidating in NSW against the AFL.

Would also be a good sign to expand into NSW. Shows that over 100 years of league and there is still a thirst for more teams in the state.

Beowulf

Juniors
They did make the right decision, now its time for them to make the right decision again by putting in WA and consolidating in NSW against the AFL.

Would also be a good sign to expand into NSW. Shows that over 100 years of league and there is still a thirst for more teams in the state.

In hindsight, I'd have to agree that the GC model was better than the Bears at the time. In 2011, the Bears model (largely a GC model on steroids) is the best. For the long term future of the Bears and the Central Coast, waiting an extra 7 or 8 years to get the model right and community support will be best in the long run for the Club and NRL.

Comparing populations and rugby league heritage it seems unfair that Central Coast would have a team before a stand alone Illawarra entity. Still, best of luck for 2013 along with Perth
...and the sharkies to move to adelaide :p

taipan

Referee
Comparing populations and rugby league heritage it seems unfair that Central Coast would have a team before a stand alone Illawarra entity. Still, best of luck for 2013 along with Perth
...and the sharkies to move to adelaide :p

$300million reasons to say they won't be moving to Adelaide or anywhere else for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts