What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they? According to this their actually bank balance was virtually zero.
http://www.redwatch.org.au/media/100320smh

I do agree though that the Sharks proposal was just a money grab and quite rightly the NRL told them were to stick it.

Every establishment has money saved somewhere for a rainy day. Including the NRL.

What the NRL essentially did is set a precedent for relocation when they took the offer off the table. This means clubs will have to do it with 100% committment. Which is not only good for the CC, but Perth too. As the Sharks/Perth rumours started pretty much as soon as the Sharks/CC rumours died off in 2008.

Quidgybo

Bench
To relocate properly you have to establish foundations, you have to spend some $$.
Fine, so spend some $$ and buy out one of the existing licences. Rusell Crow did that for $3m. Manly was bought, Newcastle was just sold. Sharks look the most likely to be next. There are clubs available to buy if you want one. The problem seems to be that the bid team wants to spend money but not on a club that isn't called the Bears. Apparently buying an existing license that doesn't carry an obligation to keep the name and colours is a dollar too much. I wonder if it will still be if the Central Coast bid team miss out on one of the expansion licences.

Leigh.

Fine, so spend some $$ and buy out one of the existing licences. Rusell Crow did that for $3m. Manly was bought, Newcastle was just sold. Sharks look the most likely to be next. There are clubs available to buy if you want one. The problem seems to be that the bid team wants to spend money but not on a club that isn't called the Bears. Apparently buying an existing license that doesn't carry an obligation to keep the name and colours is a dollar too much. I wonder if it will still be if the Central Coast bid team miss out on one of the expansion licences.

Leigh.

The Central Coast Bears currently have $15 million equity.. But we don't want a club to fall over in order for us to enter the competition. It's hypocritical and all Central Coast Bears bid team members feel the same.

However, if push comes to shove don't be suprised to see a few different avenues open up in order to get a license.

There's a few wealthy investors waiting on the side lines for the I.C. to form and a decision to be made. They are ready to invest, one way or another. They just want to know what route the bid will be taking but we won't know until other more immediate important decisions are made.

PS it's important to remember that all NRL licenses expire at the end of 2012....

Thats the advantage of having a bid growing for a few years now, no stone is left unturned.

But that's all I'll touch on this particular scenario for now. I've said too much already.

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
How can the community engagement stuff be getting old when it's such an important aspect not only for the Central Coast Bears bid but ALL clubs in general and not just in the NRL either.:lol: .
It's getting old because it is all you yabber on about. Someone told you that community engagement was important and all you do is repeat the phrase over and over. Here is a tip: You engage in the community because you want to be part of the community, not to get what you want.

Again you got no clue about the bid still and it's quite pathetic actually, you are always one of the first to add your opinions but one of the last to actually read into the information I post in regards to the bid itself. .
I have read your propoganda RBB. Community, hard work, community, community, hard work, community, more great news for the bears!!!!, community, community, community, community, community, hard work community. Just words with no substance whatsoever. A few people hanging out at Maccas every Saturday is not my idea of either community engagement or hard work. In fact, where I come from you'd be moved on as a public nuisance.

Norths cared about the CC back in 1908 numbnuts:lol:....
Really? When the area was primarily just farming land? Revisionism and propoganda.

Norths cared about CC in the late 80's/early 90's when they were financially strong:lol:. Norths cared about the CC in 1997 when it approved to help fund Bluetongue (even though we didn't need to move:lol:, we chose to move for the greater good of the GAME). We cared about the CC in 1999 when we officially moved. Before we were even kicked out of the comp.:roll: .
Norths cared because it was a means to an end. Which is apt really, seeing the end occured.

But please keep arguing with your nonsense. All it does is enable me to re-post real facts and further promote the Central Coast Bears.
I look forward to these facts. Let me guess, they'll read a little like this:
Community, hard work, community, community,, more great news for the bears!! hard work, community, more great news for the bears!!!!, community, community, community, community, community, hard work, community.

I've wished you well in the past but the sentiment is wearing thin.

Perth Red

Post Whore
As Hagrad said in Harry Potter "I don;t think I should have said that"!

Is interesting that the licenses expire, I haven't seen anything to suggest that there will be any obligations by clubs to justify there renewal so I am guessing it is just an administrative task?

Quidgybo

Bench
Is interesting that the licenses expire, I haven't seen anything to suggest that there will be any obligations by clubs to justify there renewal so I am guessing it is just an administrative task?
Kind of makes you wonder if the first thing the new Commission does is order an assessment of existing clubs in addition to the call for bids for new clubs. That'd really put the cat amongst the pidgeons. Instead of being a race between 3 or 4 bids for 2 spaces, it'd be a race between 19 or 20 bids for 18 spaces. The Bears might not beat the Reds and Brisbane2 but you've got to think they'd beat at least one of the existing clubs. Certainly the chances of all new bids improve greatly.

Leigh

It's getting old because it is all you yabber on about. Someone told you that community engagement was important and all you do is repeat the phrase over and over. Here is a tip: You engage in the community because you want to be part of the community, not to get what you want.

I have read your propoganda RBB. Community, hard work, community, community, hard work, community, more great news for the bears!!!!, community, community, community, community, community, hard work community. Just words with no substance whatsoever. A few people hanging out at Maccas every Saturday is not my idea of either community engagement or hard work. In fact, where I come from you'd be moved on as a public nuisance.

Really? When the area was primarily just farming land? Revisionism and propoganda.

Norths cared because it was a means to an end. Which is apt really, seeing the end occured.

I look forward to these facts. Let me guess, they'll read a little like this:
Community, hard work, community, community,, more great news for the bears!! hard work, community, more great news for the bears!!!!, community, community, community, community, community, hard work, community.

I've wished you well in the past but the sentiment is wearing thin.

I'm gonna have fun with this reply mate, thanks for being either naive or incompetent into the history of Rugby League on the CC.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]While the North Sydney club's catchment area in 1908 extended east to the coast and as far north as Gosford and the southern reaches of the Newcastle club [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.rl1908.com/Clubs/North-Sydney-Bears.htm[/FONT]

* A few people at macca's have signed on 6700 financial members ref: www.centralcoastbears.com.au (bear-o-meter not yet updated, still says 6672 but the actual tally is over 6700).

* a little bit of community work has achieved

* The BEARS brand has achieved

Mortgage House

Mortgage House offers a wide range of services from mortgage broking, lending our own home loan products, commercial lending, insurance (including boat and car, life insurance, mortgage protection insurance) and cash flow finance for the self employed and business owners.

Visit Mortgage House's website by clicking HERE

Fortunity

Fortunity provides business advice to people that own a business and financial advice to people who wish to invest their money to create and grow their personal wealth.

Visit Fortunity's website by clicking HERE

Regional Development Australia Central Coast NSW (RDACC)

Regional Development Australia Central Coast NSW (RDACC) is working to create successful and sustainable communities. In partnership with the private sector and the community, RDACC is supporting informed regional planning, consulting and engaging with stakeholders to identify and resolve critical issues, liaising with governments and local communities about the best, most appropriate programs and services to support regional development, contributing to business growth and investment plans, environmental solutions and social inclusion strategies. RDACC is located at
North Loop Road, Central Coast Campus 10 Chittaway Road, Ourimbah PO Box 240, Ourimbah NSW 2258
Tel: (02) 4349 4949 Fax: (02) 4349 4956 Email: info@rdacc.org.au Web: www.rdacc.org.au
Visit Regional Development Australa Central Coast's website by clicking HERE

Industry & Investment NSW (I&I NSW)

Industry & Investment NSW (I&I NSW) offers financial and other assistance to businesses expanding in or relocating to the Central Coast region. I&I NSW can assist your business with: Identifying and developing commercial opportunities, business relocation to the Central Coast, expansion within the region or specific markets, diversifying and adding value to products and services. To find out how we can help you achieve your business goals, please contact
North Loop Road, Central Coast Campus University of Newcastle, Ourimbah. PO Box 260, Ourimbah NSW 2258.
TEL:: (02) 4340 8700 FAX: (02) 4362 3095 Email: derek.taylor@business.nsw.gov.au WEB: www.business.nsw.gov.au/regions
Visit Industry & Investment's website by clicking HERE

Im not finished...

Last edited:
* more community work and initiatives

oOh Media

oOh Media is one of the leaders in the field of Out Of Home advertising. oOh Media puts your brand in the right place at the right time with out-there thinking driven by our clients objectives.

Visit oOh Media's website by clicking HERE

Norths

For over 50 years Norths have strived to provide modern facilities and superior customer service to its continuously growing number of members and guests. Norths offer something for everybody with numerous dining areas, function facilities, live shows, a gymnasium and heated pool plus much much more.

Visit Norths League's website by clicking HERE

Central Coast Tourism

Central Coast Tourism is a Regional Tourism Organisation which is funded by local businesses through a membership system, by Tourism New South Wales through an annual project grant contribution, by Gosford City Council through a Tourism/Business levy and by Wyong Council through a general contribution. Its purpose is to increase the value of tourism to the local community on the Central Coast through the implementation of effective marketing and product development initiatives. Currently, the region receives approximately $750 million in tourism expenditure annually.

Visit Central Coast Tourism's website by clicking HERE

2UE

2UE is a radio station that engages with listeners and builds strong partnerships with advertisers. 2UE gives advertisers the opportunity to utilise multiple touch points to create an informative and engaging radio strategy that delivers messages straight to listeners. With a talk back format, 2UE is able to achieve this through credible announcer live reads, online offerings, relevant content placement and a commercial schedule strategically placed to reach a target audience with maximum impact.

Visit 2UE's website by clicking HERE

harveynorman.jpg

Harvey Norman Erina

Harvey Norman Erina is the #1 location for all of your bedding, computing, electrical and furniture needs on the Coast.

Harvey Norman Erina is located at 10 Karalta Lane, Erina.

Visit the HARVEY NORMAN website by clicking HERE

* more community work and initiatives have achieved

bestandless.jpg

Best & Less

Best & Less have produced a Central Coast Bears range of clothing available at all four Central Coast locations. Visit your local Best & Less store at the following locations: Gorokan, Gosford, Erina & Woy Woy.Those living outside these areas can contact Best & Less to have merchandise moved to your local store.

Visit the BEST & LESS website by clicking HERE

SEAFM

The central Coast's hit music station and proud supporters of local sport on the Central Coast from a junior level to our national and international representatives.

SEAFM is the Coast’s station for under 40’s with Paddy and Ciel for Breakfast, the SEAFM Benchwarmers for the drive home and the most music all day at work. All the hits all day.

Visit SEAFM's website by clicking HERE

2GO

Has been part of the Central Coast community for almost 40 years, we pride ourselves on our commitment to serving the needs of the community. It plays the Central Coast’s widest variety of music and home to the Sarah and Dwayne breakfast show. Sarah’s 20 years in the job has meant she knows the Coast and the people that make it such a great place to live. 2GO has always been a great supporter of Central Coast sport, with initiatives in place for junior teams and a long time supporter of Sport star awards rewarding local achievments.

Visit Star FM's website by clicking HERE

Erina Fair

Erina Fair is the largest shopping centre on the Central Coast and has been servicing the region since 1987. Erina Fair has the widest shopping choice on the Central Coast with Myer, Kmart, Target, Big W, Best & Less, Woolworths, Coles and Aldi plus over 300 specialty stores. When you've done the shopping, we have a wide variety of leisure and entertainment options in The Hive including an 8 screen Hoyts Cinema, the Erina Ice Arena, a variety of restaurants, a playground for the children and a comprehensive schedule of fun activities on the Hive Stage.

Visit Erina Fair's website by clicking HERE

rebelsponsorpic.jpg

Rebel Sport Tuggerah

By presenting your MVP card every time you shop at Rebel Sport Tuggerah you will receive a 5% discount on all full priced items and 5% will rebate back to our club which will help the Central Coast Bears get closer to their goal of becoming the Coast's first NRL team. Show your support and swipe your MVP card every time you shop at Rebel Sport Tuggerah.

Rebel Sport Tuggerah is located just off the freeway at Westfield Tuggerah and are located on the ground level in the middle of the centre located at the food court.

* more non-profitable work from the CCBEARS on the coast built off community work
insightbar2.jpg

academyofsport.jpg

Tag you're it AlwaysGreen.

Last edited:
The next Central Coast Bears membership drives is on @

SATURDAY 7th MAY
EVENT: North Sydney Bears vs. Manly Sea Eagles
TIME & VENUE: From 3pm @ North Sydney Oval

adamkungl

Immortal

Not sure why you're putting a negative spin on it.

Bears want a football team. Central Coast wants a football team. Bears are putting in the work. CC residents and RL clubs are responding mostly positively.

Bears would have every right to be upset if some other club marched in and took advantage of their work.

How do you think the CC residents would feel if the Bears suddenly marched off to Central QLD or something if the opportunity came up to pick up an NRL licence?

it's a 2 way street. I don't know how you can fault the Bears for their efforts to engage the CC.

Goddo

Bench
meh, the point is that most of that can be easily achieved by other bids, given time.

Most of those are small local businesses, lowes, local radio, a shopping centre, the local harvey norman and rebel sport... add to that a local tourist board and the Norths leagues club.

businesses that have an interest in either a) rugby league already, or b) talking about RL.

You've only got two real sponsors, Mortgage House and Fortunity. But that said, if given a licence, others will come, but thats no different to other bids.

The Bears will need something more than local small business and $20 memberships... that won't be enough to sell the area to a NATIONAL competition, particularily when your main rivals are actual cities.

EDIT: the same can be said of some of Brisbane II and Perth's sponsors. You can almost guarentee Coca Cola, a beer company and a spirit company will sign up as sponsors once a licence is issued. But these sort of corporate supporters are secondary to a much bigger issue - the TV deal.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Goddo, it seems to be that you find it very easy to say "it's just" this, or it's "only" a that... trying to belittle whatever is put in front of you as insignificant because you simply don't agree.

Of course the Bears need more than local business and $20 memberships (and most of the organisations you speak of aren't "small business") - they're currently a bid, not a team. Once they're a team, of course it goes up a whole new level.

meh, the point is that most of that can be easily achieved by other bids, given time.

Well we're waiting for these other bids to achieve this.. you say it's easy for them yet there's no evidence of that.

Most of those are small local businesses, lowes, local radio, a shopping centre, the local harvey norman and rebel sport... add to that a local tourist board and the Norths leagues club.
equalling a few $million in sponsorships. not bad for a few small shops, a radio station and norths league. But keep by passing the important part of it all... the actual revenue and money being poured by these companies/organizations. Instead just do what you do and look at their size rather than their input:roll:

You've only got two real sponsors, Mortgage House and Fortunity. But that said, if given a licence, others will come, but thats no different to other bids.
Well thanks for clearing that up Goddo.. I mean I counted 6 major sponsors equalling $3.6m a year in sponsorships. But what would I know compared to you in regards to the Central Coast Bears bid:sarcasm:

The Bears will need something more than local small business and $20 memberships... that won't be enough to sell the area to a NATIONAL competition, particularily when your main rivals are actual cities.
I've already given this thread a sum of the overall membership and sponsorhip numbers put together. Argue with those figures all you want, they're growing nice interest in a bank and building equity. One more time for the impaired...
mean average $40 regular x 6700 = $268,000,
$5500 foundation x 85 = $467,500.
$3.6m major x 3 years = $10, 800,000
$1.2m minor x 3 years = $3, 600,000
$3.6m Liberals = $3, 600,000
$100,000 Labor = $100,000

Yep, small change for me too Goddo. Any one can easily make that much hey?

EDIT: the same can be said of some of Brisbane II and Perth's sponsors. You can almost guarentee Coca Cola, a beer company and a spirit company will sign up as sponsors once a licence is issued. But these sort of corporate supporters are secondary to a much bigger issue - the TV deal.

Because TV Rights are going to fund a club for 5, 10, 15 years aren't they? They're going to keep the club afloat through the thick and thin aren't they? Then again, here I was thinking that TV rights is mainly for the code in general and only a small % goes back into the clubs.. Brisbane 2 must be immune to this rule, they don't need sponsors or community support. TV rights will keep them afloat. Wonder how the Sharks and other teams struggled then when their respected sponsors left....... would have thought TV rights would of kept them in a better state then they are currently in:crazy:

Last edited:

lockyrulz

Juniors
Goddo, it seems to be that you find it very easy to say "it's just" this, or it's "only" a that... trying to belittle whatever is put in front of you as insignificant because you simply don't agree.

Of course the Bears need more than local business and $20 memberships (and most of the organisations you speak of aren't "small business") - they're currently a bid, not a team. Once they're a team, of course it goes up a whole new level.

And so would any other bid, difference being that a relocation helps under saturate the over saturated Sydney market, which is exactly why the NRL want someoen to go there.

And so would any other bid, difference being that a relocation helps under saturate the over saturated Sydney market, which is exactly why the NRL want someoen to go there.

Really? Is that why they took the $8mil carrot off the table then? Is that why the NRL have encouraged the Central Coast Bears to engage in their community and test the waters with memberships and merchandise being sold at official stores?:sarcasm:

age.s

First Grade
Ok. Lets say hypothetically the Sharks need to relocate or die within 3 years. Which of the 3 options is better for the game?

Sharks to CC. Random Bris 2 bid or QLD Cup team included in NRL. Bears gone.
Sharks fold. CC Bears bid successful. Random Bris 2 bid or QLD Cup team included in NRL.
Sharks to Brisbane merged with a QLD cup team (Norths-Redcliffe Sharks?). CC Bears successful. All other Brisbane bids on hold.

For me it's pretty clearly number 3. There are several issues with Brisbane bids that would be solved if the Sharks merged with a QLD cup team (or 2). You'd have a club with current links to the QLD cup as well as the NRL. You'd have junior structures, and a current playing roster. A fanbase that can be grown in Brisbane and some away support in Sydney. You get your CC team, a game at Suncorp every weekend, a second Brisbane team for the tv deal, and an expansion slot for Perth to grow the game in a new frontier (with another fully deserving bid in the Reds getting the spot).

Should qualify with the above that I'm not a QLDer, and I don't have intimate knowledge of the QLD cup. Just doing a back of a napkin bit of theory, so don't jump down my throat.

Main thing is I don't see how just dumping the Sharks in CC helps the NRL. Why not just let the Sharks die and replace them with the Bears if you're going to go down that route?

If the Sharks are on their last legs the NRL should be looking at it as an opportunity, and by that I DON'T mean just an opportunity to kill the Sharks. They're too valuable to just let die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts