What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They had to get approval and it be in accordance with the NRL. You can't just sell merchandise for a potential franchise without getting the governing bodies permission first. Plus it was Gallop whom approved it. Come on now surely even you would know that. I have no idea what you're trying to get at when all stores which sell NRL gear either with sponsors (amart allsports/rebel sports) or without sponsors (best & less) need to get approval from the NRL to do so. But keep reaching though, you might eventually find a kink in the armour. Highly doubt it though.

again fair comments......but there is a huge difference in best and less getting permission to sell ccb merchandise and it being official NRL Merchandise, as you have said

now come on surely even you would know that

if you or anybody else can post a pic of a ccb jersey with an official NRL license tag on it, and not a made by best and less tag on it, then i will gladly chow down on humble pie

again fair comments......but there is a huge difference in best and less getting permission to sell ccb merchandise and it being official NRL Merchandise, as you have said

now come on surely even you would know that

if you or anybody else can post a pic of a ccb jersey with an official NRL license tag on it, and not a made by best and less tag on it, then i will gladly chow down on humble pie

I never said it was official, all I said was it was NRL licensed and yes there is a difference. Official will have sponsors all over the merchandise, purely licensed won't. It just means it's like any other NRL merchandise that you find at your local Best&Less. Still needs approval, still needs to be licensed to sell but it won't have all the fancy sponsors on the sleeves, back, front etc.

Our jersey's aren't sold at either of these stores, they are sold online or alternatively at membership drives. Because unlike the Best&Less merchandise, our foundation jersey isn't licensed.... yet.

Quidgybo

Bench
Fair point. But like I said, we can only go by what has been written down. If people assume that Perth's & 2nd Brisbane's crowds would undoubtably grow now a days, then the same would apply to the Central Coast. I mean why wouldn't it? It's a Rugby League heartland with heaps to give to the code.
I don't think anybody who gives serious thought to the matter doubts that. My personal opinion is that having the Bears back would be great for the game. But the same could be said for three or four of the competing bids. As I've stated on numerous other occasions, for reasons beyond just having a sound bid and being good for the game, I don't think they should or will be granted an expansion license ahead of other areas. I hope they have a solid plan B because I'd still like to see the Bears and/or a Central Coast team in the comp ASAP.

Leigh

clarency

Juniors
Manly/Souths/Tigers games had the highest crowds. None involved Newcastle. There has been stinkers everywhere. 5k for Perth Reds during their last days. 4k for Crushers during their last days. 4k again for Gold Coast Chargers. 6k @ a Manly game this year. 9k for a few Cowboys games in recent times.

Do you have the time to critize them? If not at least you might remember that those crowds had home teams to support when they achieved those abysmal crowds compared to Bluetongue, which had no home side being represented.

Super League has already been mentioned. My point is completely valid. Everyone of Central Coast's sell outs have been from teams close by, allowing a large amount of traveling fans and little opportunity for the locals to show their support. When the game doesn't involve local teams the crowd is very poor. For a community that is attempting to convince the NRL that they deserve a team this is not very impressive, from my 3rd party perspective.

I won't speak for Manly but Cowboys don't exactly have a 1.1mil population to draw supporters from. I agree with what was said earlier in that it takes more work to get in, than to stay in. Manly, Cronulla, whoever.... they can have terrible crowds, but they have one advantage over any bid team vying for a spot. They already have a licence.

aarondoyle

Juniors
For me I don't care what Gallop thinks, it has to be Perth and CC next in. The Bears have put in the effort. No other bid has the membership which would rival some of the teams currently in the competition.

Like I said, believe what you want. In regards to other bids, I don't feel the need to discuss what I have spoken to certain people about

dont speak with the authority of an insider then.

fact is you know nothing about the inner workings of the Brisbane 2 bid.

. But to answer your question I have spoken only once to Nick Livermore and Billy Rae wouldn't give me the time of the day

I asked if you knew them , not spoken to them.

so to answer my own question you dont know them.

How do I know what Gallop is thinking? Because he directly said and I quote

"I gave the strongest indication yet that I expect expansion to happen by 2015 or earlier," Gallop fired.
"I am therefore surprised that the Brisbane bid people have chosen to go off half-cocked about it.
"Rather than throwing unsubstantiated dollar figures around, they should start putting some meat on their own bone.
"Expansion will come but it will take more than threatening to sign Sonny Bill Williams and any other headline name they can think of to get a franchise in this competition."

So Davison has made some outlandish comments that upset Gallop then.

It doesnt mean Gallop is "starting to see through davisons charade"

Different bids are going to use different advantages to push their claims. B2 may not be a community based bid , but that doesnt mean it hasnt got clear advantages over its opposition.

dont speak with the authority of an insider then.

fact is you know nothing about the inner workings of the Brisbane 2 bid.

I asked if you knew them , not spoken to them.

so to answer my own question you dont know them.

So Davison has made some outlandish comments that upset Gallop then.

It doesnt mean Gallop is "starting to see through davisons charade"

Different bids are going to use different advantages to push their claims. B2 may not be a community based bid , but that doesnt mean it hasnt got clear advantages over its opposition.

I didn't and don't speak like an insider for the Brisbane bid. I got no clue what you're rambling on about. I did however point out that Craig Davison isn't the goodie two shoes he makes out to be and that his vision for the bid isn't exactly what the media has published. I got that information from researching the bid via calls, emails, media publications and other more personal sources. You wanna know more then do the same. You asked if I know them and I've answered twice now that yes, I know the main man of the bid Craig. Doesn't matter if I don't know the other 2 as well because he is the director and more often than not his decision in regards to his bid is final.

Like I said though, believe what you want to believe. I know exactly what I'm talking about and if you don't like it then don't bother replying to it. It's not that hard to do ffs. I don't need to verify who I know or what I know on here if it's not relevant to the topic at hand, which incase you missed it, is the Central Coast Bears.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Everyone of Central Coast's sell outs have been from teams close by, allowing a large amount of traveling fans and little opportunity for the locals to show their support. When the game doesn't involve local teams the crowd is very poor. For a community that is attempting to convince the NRL that they deserve a team this is not very impressive, from my 3rd party perspective.

Uh, no. Surely you recall me disproving this garbage theory before? Both a WT v Storm and Roosters/Canberra clash have yielded 16k + crowds.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Uh, no. Surely you recall me disproving this garbage theory before? Both a WT v Storm and Roosters/Canberra clash have yielded 16k + crowds.

The Tigers V Storm game got about 19K in 2007 before there was even a CC bid on the table...

All that proves to me is that there are truckloads of Tigers supporters on the CC that I seriously doubt will be changing their team if the Bears get in...

bobmar28

Bench
Read into it how you want to but if the Central Coast Bears were no chance then

1) We wouldn't have been put on stand by twice by the NRL when firstly the Sharks were going through major financial difficulties and then when the Melbourne Storm scandal broke out. Both times it was the NRL whom approach us.

2) The NRL wouldn't endorse the Central Coast Bears selling licensed NRL/Bears merchandise at nationally known stores eg. Best & Less & Rebel Sports on the CC.

3) Memberships wouldn't be made out to be a big deal and the NRL wouldn't push us to sell them.

All 3 initiatives were in direct accordance and collaboration with the NRL. They know better than anyone how much money we've spent and how many resources we've used. After 3 or so years since the Florimo-lead bid came about, if we were no chance they wouldn't let us waste more than we have already.

So, are you saying Queensland bids are wasting their money?

Last edited:

clarency

Juniors

Actually you're right. The theory doesn't hold water at all.

2010 - Manly v Newcastle - 12k
2009 - Manly v Newcastle - 15k
2008 - Manly v Newcastle - 13k

I mean... if you wanted to prove it's a rubbish theory that evidence is far more stronger, right?

Then again it further proves my conclusion that Central Coast locals are not as impressive as their rivals in terms of crowd support, even with the supplement of traveling fans.

dgsfan

Juniors
Wow. You'd think they would get sell-out crowds at any chance they could. How many games a year do they get? If they want an NRL they should be selling out every single game, or getting mighty close.

adamkungl

Immortal
With all due respect, how would you know?

Do you work in TV?

My opinion, just like everyone else's here.

I think that compared to other things we tolerate that effect the TV deal, such as Monday Night Football, and compared to the value that a Perth team will bring, the difference between a Bears and QLD team (BOTH close by to already existing teams in areas where NRL is already popular) in terms of TV dollars is overstated.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Wow. You'd think they would get sell-out crowds at any chance they could. How many games a year do they get? If they want an NRL they should be selling out every single game, or getting mighty close.

Welcome back, shitstirrer.

Where have you been?

lockyrulz

Juniors
My opinion, just like everyone else's here.

I think that compared to other things we tolerate that effect the TV deal, such as Monday Night Football, and compared to the value that a Perth team will bring, the difference between a Bears and QLD team (BOTH close by to already existing teams in areas where NRL is already popular) in terms of TV dollars is overstated.

Yes but other peoples opinions are backed up by arguments. For example, the extra ratings a qld team would bring by the virtue that you could have a Queensland team airing extra nights, a reds team bringing in a new as yet largely untapped tv audience with the potential for considerable growth.

What substantiates your opinion it is overstated?

Status
Not open for further replies.