What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goddo

Bench
Never noticed.
The merged club.
Well - I wouldn't expect you to understand history and tradition because you've only been around for 10 years or so.

:lol: trying the ol "your team merged" line to get a stir. Well, I'm proud of my club - we did what was necissary to continue and grow. It was hard, but necissary. And we are now premiers again, heading into yet another finals series. 16 premierships can't be wrong.

1922 was your second and last premiership was it not? Some history.

Singleton owns Bluetongue, he wouldn't bat an eyelid to do a good deal with any team that would be willing to use his stadium and pay a decent rent.

The offer has been there. But no team is willing to relocate fulltime to the CC. Only the BEARS are eager to establish themselves there. Hence his involvement with the 3 different Bears bid incarnations. He is a Bears/Jets fanatic and has lost 2 teams he has supported through out the years. Id say his interests in RL would be hanging by a bid string right now.

The Central Coast Bears have lost their first poll today albeit by just 1% in the players poll in Rugby league Week. Perth first on 35% CC on 34% then daylight 3rd which is promising. I cannot fault Perth winning. It's great that the players rate us higher then many forumers initially thought, considering how a half baked article was printed 2 weeks ago stating otherwise which had the naysayers drooling. The lesson? Wait until the final article is actually published before jumping to assumptions. Go the Bears & Reds !!!

bobmar28

Bench
Meh...it's been said all along that SE QLD is worth more to the TV rights. And I've said all along there are more important things than pandering to the networks' every whim. Mind you, this article is suggesting that Perth is worth nothing to the TV deal as well.

What's more important than getting a billion dollars for the TV rights?

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
:lol: trying the ol "your team merged" line to get a stir. Well, I'm proud of my club - we did what was necissary to continue and grow. It was hard, but necissary. And we are now premiers again, heading into yet another finals series. 16 premierships can't be wrong.

1922 was your second and last premiership was it not? Some history.

There your club was, with all its proud tradition, spitting on that tradition by bending over for Murdoch and killing off Illawarra at the same time.
Here we are still fighting to save our club, trying to get back into the NRL for over 10 years after being rorted numerous times.

Yet - coward as you are - you've spent weeks deathriding our efforts over 10 years.

You know - historically, saints often became saints because they showed great courage in adversity. You should grow a spine.

Goddo

Bench
There your club was, with all its proud tradition, spitting on that tradition by bending over for Murdoch and killing off Illawarra at the same time.
Here we are still fighting to save our club, trying to get back into the NRL for over 10 years after being rorted numerous times.

Yet - coward as you are - you've spent weeks deathriding our efforts over 10 years.

You know - historically, saints often became saints because they showed great courage in adversity. You should grow a spine.

:lol: You are gold. Crazy old bitter ronny.

adamkungl

Immortal
What's more important than getting a billion dollars for the TV rights?

Integrity of the game?
Bears v QLD is not the only factor at play. And you certainly can't claim that this sole issue will be the difference between getting and not getting 1 billion dollars.

Scheduling, number of rounds, number of teams in the finals series, monday night football are all things, lack of national TV exposure - these are all things we already suffer while getting ripped off by Nine and Fox. Now they want to introduce longer stoppages to get more ad time.

The fact remains that Rugby League is the highest rating sport in Australia, with one hand tied behind it's back (no exposure in 3 capital cities). It's about time we got the money we deserve without bending over and lubing up. There is actually competition between networks this time and it won't be News negotiating with themselves at the table.

docbrown

Coach
You may as well just give the CC to the Knights.

As a Knights fan I'd say there are Knights fans on the coast. But just like the Hunter Valley, there are also fans of other teams.

Remember we've only had a team here since 1988. Before that - and even now - people affiliate with Sydney clubs, just like they do in Brisbane. The same occurs on the Central Coast.

My guess is that the % of CC fans attending Knights games in Newcastle is rather small. I'm sure there's a Knights fanbase but to me it's likely more television based. My guess is that if the Bears come in, those fans will likely watch both teams.

The majority of Knights fans who attend games would be from Newcastle, Lake Macquarie and Lower Hunter.

And remember fans who go to Knights games aren't solely Knights fans - they're also those fans affiliated with Sydney clubs who live in the local area.

So the same would happen in Gosford - you'd have local Bears fans attending, travelling North Sydney fans attending, Central Coast people who support Sydney teams attending and Sydney team away fans.

That - and the fact that their proximity to Sydney and North Sydney connection means they will bring away fans to other teams matches boosting Sydney crowd averages - those 2 facts should be their biggest selling points.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
As a Knights fan I'd say there are Knights fans on the coast. But just like the Hunter Valley, there are also fans of other teams.

Remember we've only had a team here since 1988. Before that - and even now - people affiliate with Sydney clubs, just like they do in Brisbane. The same occurs on the Central Coast.

My guess is that the % of CC fans attending Knights games in Newcastle is rather small. I'm sure there's a Knights fanbase but to me it's likely more television based. My guess is that if the Bears come in, those fans will likely watch both teams.

The majority of Knights fans who attend games would be from Newcastle, Lake Macquarie and Lower Hunter.

And remember fans who go to Knights games aren't solely Knights fans - they're also those fans affiliated with Sydney clubs who live in the local area.

So the same would happen in Gosford - you'd have local Bears fans attending, travelling North Sydney fans attending, Central Coast people who support Sydney teams attending and Sydney team away fans.

That - and the fact that their proximity to Sydney and North Sydney connection means they will bring away fans to other teams matches boosting Sydney crowd averages - those 2 facts should be their biggest selling points.

Well said.

The one consistent behaviour with rugby league management (since Murdoch took over) is the ability to meet logic and common sense with bullshit facts and spin - but, by sheer volume, it becomes the mantra. Especially for gullible morons like Goddo and most Manly fans.

Knightmare

Coach
The RLW players' poll proves yet again that virtually everybody who makes the game what it is (players and fans) want Perth and the Central Coast as the next expansion teams. You would have to think the decision makers will pay attention to this. It seems the only people talking up the Bombers are Craig Davidson, one or two people who seem to think having a side playing on TV is the be all and end all (never mind if people actually bother to watch it) and a couple of journos blowing smoke up said bids' arse every second week.

The thing about the anti- Bears lot is, they can't even be unified on where the other team should come from that costs the Bears a spot in the NRL. Some are saying Brisbane, others swear by Ipswich and others still are saying it should be the CQ bid. I get the impression Souths Sunnybank could hold a chook raffle next week to fund their bid for an NRL team and people would be claiming that said bid would have more right to enter the NRL than the Bears because "THERE ARE TOO MANY NSW TEAMS!!!!"

If you want to see how the 'dots on a map' view to expansion works, go look at the NBL, or even the A-League to a lesser extent....

BDGS

Bench
If the TV deal was to be affected by expansion, wouldn't the league be announcing officially when and who the clubs were BEFORE the deal was done?

No, doing that leaves us vulnerable if the decision of expansion comes down to which ever gets us the best financial outcome in the TV deal, which is might seeming we have three strong bids.

If the NRL goes into negotiations with 3 strong bid teams capable of running a team in the NRL, that gives the NRL three possible scenarios to work with (i.e. bombers/red, bears/bombers, bears/reds), if the NRL has 4 strong bids then there is more scenarios.

Then the NRL can be told by the networks which bids would bring the most coin.

Alternatively, the NRL may make a decision before hand based on LEK predictions.

Teddyboy

First Grade
The RLW players' poll proves yet again that virtually everybody who makes the game what it is (players and fans) want Perth and the Central Coast as the next expansion teams. You would have to think the decision makers will pay attention to this. It seems the only people talking up the Bombers are Craig Davidson, one or two people who seem to think having a side playing on TV is the be all and end all (never mind if people actually bother to watch it) and a couple of journos blowing smoke up said bids' arse every second week.

The thing about the anti- Bears lot is, they can't even be unified on where the other team should come from that costs the Bears a spot in the NRL. Some are saying Brisbane, others swear by Ipswich and others still are saying it should be the CQ bid. I get the impression Souths Sunnybank could hold a chook raffle next week to fund their bid for an NRL team and people would be claiming that said bid would have more right to enter the NRL than the Bears because "THERE ARE TOO MANY NSW TEAMS!!!!"

If you want to see how the 'dots on a map' view to expansion works, go look at the NBL, or even the A-League to a lesser extent....

The way the OLD lot go for wanting team's coming out from Brisbane 2 or Sunshine Coast
is that you prob end up with more OLD team's in the NRL then NSW team's lol.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

Very, very well said. Good to see some reason instead of the insular, alarmist crap that comes from some corners. Thank you.

bobmar28

Bench

That's the only thing you got right.

With the recent dramas of the Crusaders and the ripple effect it will have on Aussie players travelling to the UK to play footy, I believe that the NRL might be getting a surplus of players back soon. I'm sure whatever new franchises enter the NRL, they would like the chance to scoop up some those players. Might be a factor (albeit very small one) to push expansion forward by a little bit.

Goddo

Bench
^ very true. The Aussie dollar being so strong will be a draw card also. My money is still on 2014 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts