What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Perhaps we should just ban overzealous Manly fans and ignorant "interstate expansion or bust" from certain threads...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/my-coast-boycott-was-boycotted/story-e6frfgbo-1226105556987

My Coast Boycott was Boycotted
Nick Walshaw

The Moscow Olympics. South Africa during apartheid. Even poor ol' Jon Drummond - the American sprinter who, having been accused of a false start at the 2003 World Champs, responded by lying flat on his back for 58 minutes - could argue a better result than my weekend.

After calling on Central Coast fans to boycott Bluetongue Stadium on Friday night, only to see a ground record 20,059 turn up, this column has copped what is often referred to as a complete pizzling.

Mates, barflies, cabbies, total strangers; even the old man greeted me on Saturday morning with "ahhh, Mr Boycott ... did they at least leave one empty as a courtesy?"

It's a hammering that started early on Thursday when a local radio announcer urged Coasties to "snap up those remaining 3000 tickets - you know, the ones Walshaw doesn't want". Continuing on Friday, too, when The Central Coast Express Advocate ran a back-page article suggesting locals, er, boycott my boycott.
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Yep, here was a rebuttal more overwhelming than Brut aftershave. So comprehensive that by the time both teams took the field that night, some of my closest bloody family were sitting sideline.

But just like the Egyptian labourer who, a few years back, severed all genitalia while protesting the choice of bride for his upcoming arranged marriage, so too this column is willing to lose its honour for the cause.

Hopeful that somewhere amid the sledging, hate mail and vitriolic Twitter posts at least some Coasties realise they're being ... to put this as gently as possible ... bent over.

That with two fierce Sydney rivals and a clear F3, Friday night's blockbuster was always going to attract a sell-out. A sell-out that does nothing to improve our hopes for an NRL team.

Right now, David Gallop cannot even confirm expansion, let alone when or with whom. But according to not-so-subtle whispers coming out of League HQ, should the competition eventually grow, there will be no room for the Central Coast Bears.

No, the brightest our future gets, apparently, is cheering whichever opponent Manly bring north once a year. And the Sea Eagles, of course, will today be claiming their brief Bluetongue fling a huge boost for league on the Coast. Yet in reality, the opposite is true ... league is already booming here and it's their bank balance that now benefits from us.

Put simply, Manly played in Gosford to make a buck. Good luck to 'em. But spare us the rants about reviving Mann St when anyone who has been in town more than five minutes knows a pair of shopping centres - Erina Fair and Westfield Tuggerah - are the cause of that little dilemma, not a lack of appearances by Gorgeous George Rose.

Anyway, this column is officially done with Bears boycotts. Turning instead to more winnable causes like reviving torpedo pants, beer wenches and Souths cheergirls.

Readying ourselves to down however many XXXX Golds are required to bring full-strength beer back to the SCG this summer.

BDR

First Grade
Gee I hope the Bears get in, I think it's a 3 horse race between Brisbane2, WA and the Bears.

Would be nice to see one of the foundation clubs return to league, preferably along with the Reds (even though I am in Brissy and would love another team so I can see 2 games of my team per year)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/my-coast-boycott-was-boycotted/story-e6frfgbo-1226105556987

My Coast Boycott was Boycotted
Nick Walshaw

The Moscow Olympics. South Africa during apartheid. Even poor ol' Jon Drummond - the American sprinter who, having been accused of a false start at the 2003 World Champs, responded by lying flat on his back for 58 minutes - could argue a better result than my weekend.

After calling on Central Coast fans to boycott Bluetongue Stadium on Friday night, only to see a ground record 20,059 turn up, this column has copped what is often referred to as a complete pizzling.

Mates, barflies, cabbies, total strangers; even the old man greeted me on Saturday morning with "ahhh, Mr Boycott ... did they at least leave one empty as a courtesy?"

It's a hammering that started early on Thursday when a local radio announcer urged Coasties to "snap up those remaining 3000 tickets - you know, the ones Walshaw doesn't want". Continuing on Friday, too, when The Central Coast Express Advocate ran a back-page article suggesting locals, er, boycott my boycott.
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Yep, here was a rebuttal more overwhelming than Brut aftershave. So comprehensive that by the time both teams took the field that night, some of my closest bloody family were sitting sideline.

But just like the Egyptian labourer who, a few years back, severed all genitalia while protesting the choice of bride for his upcoming arranged marriage, so too this column is willing to lose its honour for the cause.

Hopeful that somewhere amid the sledging, hate mail and vitriolic Twitter posts at least some Coasties realise they're being ... to put this as gently as possible ... bent over.

That with two fierce Sydney rivals and a clear F3, Friday night's blockbuster was always going to attract a sell-out. A sell-out that does nothing to improve our hopes for an NRL team.

Right now, David Gallop cannot even confirm expansion, let alone when or with whom. But according to not-so-subtle whispers coming out of League HQ, should the competition eventually grow, there will be no room for the Central Coast Bears.

No, the brightest our future gets, apparently, is cheering whichever opponent Manly bring north once a year. And the Sea Eagles, of course, will today be claiming their brief Bluetongue fling a huge boost for league on the Coast. Yet in reality, the opposite is true ... league is already booming here and it's their bank balance that now benefits from us.

Put simply, Manly played in Gosford to make a buck. Good luck to 'em. But spare us the rants about reviving Mann St when anyone who has been in town more than five minutes knows a pair of shopping centres - Erina Fair and Westfield Tuggerah - are the cause of that little dilemma, not a lack of appearances by Gorgeous George Rose.

Anyway, this column is officially done with Bears boycotts. Turning instead to more winnable causes like reviving torpedo pants, beer wenches and Souths cheergirls.

Readying ourselves to down however many XXXX Golds are required to bring full-strength beer back to the SCG this summer.

great turnup at gosford on friday night......well done to all the travelling, manly and tigers supporters you boosted the crowd big time, all the maroon and white, and black and gold looked great on tv

Central Coast Bears membership drive on tomorow @

SUNDAY 7th AUGUST
EVENT: Top Ryde Shopping Centre Membership Drive
TIME: 10am - 3pm

How is Top Ryde part of the central coast?

North Shore. Central Coast Bears have always stated how the bid incorporates the North Shore. The real question should be what is your team doing to get out and about in the greater community to get new members?

Last edited:

Beowulf

Juniors
To be fair, Top Ryde isn't really north shore by strict definition, although it was for many years in Bear territory so the lines are a bit blurred, but agree its probably more closely linked with old Balmain territory, but the receivers running the shopping centre are mad Bears fans and invited the Bears to attend. We were there a month ago and there was a lot of positive feedback from general League fans (mainly Tigers/Eels fans), not necessarily Bears fans, congratulating the Bears on their work, wishing us well and impressed we were getting out into the community.

North Ryde however is within the Bears district and a vital source of corporate support for the bid team.

Its about getting out there in the community and being seen and recognised for being grassroots and connected.

Last edited:
JJ LAWSON CUSTOM AND FREIGHT BROKERS JOIN CENTRAL COAST BEARS’ BID CONSORTIUM
8th August, 2011 | Posted by Central Coast Bears.
An additional shareholder has this week announced his intention to join Bluetongue Stadium and invest in the Central Coast Bears (CCB) planned NRL Franchise. Realising the value proposition that a fresh NRL club will deliver with the dual catchment areas of both the Central Coast of New South Wales and the North Shore of Sydney, this investment reflects the “double-sided” benefit that this Bid brings to the game. That is, the establishment of a team in a true Rugby League heartland, and just as importantly the re-engagement of the North Shore for Rugby League without impacting the already over-crowded Sydney marketplace.
Jim Lawson, the Managing Director of JJ Lawson Custom and Freight Brokers, who has been heavily involved with the CCB Bid to date, said of his additional investment:
“Our Company is committed to assisting the Central Coast Bears bid for an NRL License. The dedication of those working tirelessly on the bid submission is inspiring and their efforts hopefully will be rewarded with an NRL License.
My old school motto was “ONLY EFFORT EARNS SUCCESS” so I’d say on this basis we are well placed for a Guernsey.”
Greg Florimo, Central Coast Bears CEO, replied:
“Off the back of our recent announcement concerning the $2 million investment of Bluetongue Stadium, it was imperative that further investors joined us so that we can demonstrate to the Independent Commission the level of operating capital that they are seeking from a new franchise.
Equally as important is for some of this investment to come from our re-engagement of the CBD to Hornsby commercial corridor that will be vital in us achieving the sort of annual turnover required to operate an NRL Franchise. We believe that our strategically planned shareholding highlights the no singular ownership model but one superseded by diversity thereby reducing any risk.
This is another example of the benefits that our Bid brings to the game - a combined catchment of approximately 1 million people, 23 junior clubs and the third largest corporate region in Australia. These facts deliver sustainability which is one of the key elements that the Independent Commission will be looking for when tenders for expansion are called for hopefully in the near future.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Jim personally and also JJ Lawson Custom and Freight Brokers not only for their ongoing support of our Bid but also for this substantial investment in our business post the granting of an NRL License – our push for inclusion into an expanded competition would not be as progressed as it is with out their outstanding continued efforts.”

http://centralcoastbears.com.au/news/jj_lawson_join_bears.html

2nd of 3.

The next Central Coast Bears membership drive is on @

NEXT EVENTS
SATURDAY 13th AUGUST
EVENT: Lake Haven Shopping Centre Membership Drive
TIME: 9am - 2pm
EVENT: Westfield Hornsby Membership Drive
TIME: 9am - 12pm
SUNDAY 14th AUGUST
EVENT: North Sydney Bears Vs Canterbury Bulldogs
TIME & LOCATION: 3pm at North Sydney Oval

Beowulf

Juniors
is anybody sponsoring the club or are they all buying a piece?

There will be a significant sponsor announcement coming in a few weeks.

The Bears realise they have to tread carefully by proving to the NRL they can be financially viable without hurting existing clubs' corporate opportunities, thus removing the major fear of existing clubs.

Hence ownership and significant sponsors really must either be "Bear-or-no one" organisations or primarily Central Coast corporations.

So far we have Bluetongue Stadium in Gosford (aka Singo) and JJ Lawson (multi-generational Bear fanatic family company) from the north shore announced re the ownership consortium - more news also to come on this front.

The NRL I understand did have reservations re our single owner franchise proposal and other clubs could point to Mortgage Houses's sponsorship of other teams previously and claim that the Bears were denying their club potential involvement from Mortgage House - ownership diversification with no impact on existing clubs obviously reduces risk and increases our chances.

Last edited:

sharko

Juniors
Other teams aka the Sharks are taking steps to secure their future, redeveloping the club and surrounding areas which brings in some millions a year over several years.
If other existing clubs chose to sit tight, not go out to the market and wait for this supposed nest egg of the NRL tv deal, then the Bears are entitled to bring on whatever corporate backers are available.
Now the Bears have produced a couple of multi million dollar sponsors, where is the the WA and Qld multi million dollar sponsors.
They talk the talk the WAs and Qlders but they are yet to walk the walk..show us their corporate dough and members if they actually exist?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Other teams aka the Sharks are taking steps to secure their future, redeveloping the club and surrounding areas which brings in some millions a year over several years.
If other existing clubs chose to sit tight, not go out to the market and wait for this supposed nest egg of the NRL tv deal, then the Bears are entitled to bring on whatever corporate backers are available.
Now the Bears have produced a couple of multi million dollar sponsors, where is the the WA and Qld multi million dollar sponsors.
They talk the talk the WAs and Qlders but they are yet to walk the walk..show us their corporate dough and members if they actually exist?

They are keeping sponsors very close to the chest in WA for fear of losing them to either existing WA clubs or NRL clubs like Sth's that are seriously courting the WA $. There has been a couple of statements made by the bid indicating significant interest in becoming sponsors inc a 7 figure sponsor.

We already have some companies backing us (Cash Convertors being the biggest) and I have no doubt they will be keen to increase their support. There was also an article indicating our apporaches to WA's mining companies.

When Gallop mentions all bids still have work to do I am sure ours is getting some signed deals but until bids are actually called for then I very much doubt we will be naming names.

Goddo

Bench
I don't think WA/Bris II/Ipswich will have much trouble finding sponsors, especially once a licence is issued. They are in major capitals where there are relatively few pro sports teams, and they will be playing in the main East Coast sport.

Some Perth companies may see NRL sponsorship as a better investment than AFL simply because of the different market reach.

Brisbane is a league mad city with only the one current team - there's no competition for advertisers currently, and if one company in an industry secures a Broncos sponsorship there is no options for rival companies. Eg, insurance sponsors could be NRMA Broncos, Suncorp Jets.

Its more of an issue for smaller regional bids like PNG, Central Qld (who have big backing despite being a small regional bid).

The biggest asset the Bears bid has is attendences, members and existing infrastructure - they will snuggly fit into the comp as is. They will find enough sponsors, but have a tougher time of it by having so many neighbours.

The big liability is this bid doesn't really value add to the game as a whole - TV rights, new juniors, new advertising markets, new fans.

Beowulf

Juniors
I don't think WA/Bris II/Ipswich will have much trouble finding sponsors, especially once a licence is issued. They are in major capitals where there are relatively few pro sports teams, and they will be playing in the main East Coast sport.

Some Perth companies may see NRL sponsorship as a better investment than AFL simply because of the different market reach.

Brisbane is a league mad city with only the one current team - there's no competition for advertisers currently, and if one company in an industry secures a Broncos sponsorship there is no options for rival companies. Eg, insurance sponsors could be NRMA Broncos, Suncorp Jets.

Its more of an issue for smaller regional bids like PNG, Central Qld (who have big backing despite being a small regional bid).

The biggest asset the Bears bid has is attendences, members and existing infrastructure - they will snuggly fit into the comp as is. They will find enough sponsors, but have a tougher time of it by having so many neighbours.

The big liability is this bid doesn't really value add to the game as a whole - TV rights, new juniors, new advertising markets, new fans.

Concur with most except the last bit - forget that consultancy piece for the NRL claiming only Brisbane adds to TV rights, as the consultant was looking only at the Central Coast market for a team, NOT the Bears model which courts the north shore and thus will add to TV rights, new advertising markets, new fans through re-engagement with a lost area...the only question is how much will it add? Agree perhaps not as much as Brisbane, but we get back to the old issue...is it 100% about TV rights? Obviously not, though its a factor.

The other issue re the TV rights question is that if Perth adds nothing to the TV rights issue, will the NRL go there given the high costs when they have heartland areas such as SEQ, Central Coast, Central Queensland? I don't think anyone is 'over the line' until the IC see all bids, and the delay allows a clearer picture of Titans and Sharks situations to unfold.....remembering the increased cash grant goes to salary cap and won't solve any financial problems clubs are having.

Goddo

Bench
Concur with most except the last bit - forget that consultancy piece for the NRL claiming only Brisbane adds to TV rights, as the consultant was looking only at the Central Coast market for a team, NOT the Bears model which courts the north shore and thus will add to TV rights, new advertising markets, new fans through re-engagement with a lost area...the only question is how much will it add? Agree perhaps not as much as Brisbane, but we get back to the old issue...is it 100% about TV rights? Obviously not, though its a factor.
You're dismissing what the consultant said because you don't like it, and then put up the worn out arguments as proof?

The Bears do not value add from a TV/media/national advertising perspective - there are currently 10 NSW sides + Canberra and how many free to air slots?

The other issue re the TV rights question is that if Perth adds nothing to the TV rights issue, will the NRL go there given the high costs when they have heartland areas such as SEQ, Central Coast, Central Queensland? I don't think anyone is 'over the line' until the IC see all bids, and the delay allows a clearer picture of Titans and Sharks situations to unfold.....remembering the increased cash grant goes to salary cap and won't solve any financial problems clubs are having.

Are you turning on Perth, the run away favourite, now?

Perth will add value to the NRL's revenue by opening a timeslot for more live football, and a large potential new advertising market, particularily with anti-siphoning law changes making the 2 hour broadcast delay into Perth important for whoever ends up with the NRLs rights.

The Bears is a very low risk, very low gain option for the NRL, but into a Wollongong-Canberra-Sydney-Newcastle market with a few struggling clubs.

With regards to the Titans, Gallop said just the other day that their situation will have absolutely NO impact on the expansion decision, so you can forget that arguement too. And the Sharks should be ok so long as the development doesn't fall through between now and 2013.

WRT the salary cap boost, you are way off - the club grant will exceed the salary cap from 2013. The surplus cash will go towards off field staff, but free up large amounts of money for clubs. It will have a net positive impact on every club.

Status
Not open for further replies.