What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears NRL Bid.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tbh nothing you have said there could not have happened to the cc bears. Replace searle for singleton, one smallish population for another, saturation of corporate support for nrl teams in sydney meaning bears would struggle for significant sponsorships, losing team seeing cc attendances drop to similar levels of other small sydney clubs. There was little to choose between the two and as you said the afl threat plus lack of qland clubs always had GC ahead.

Garbler

Juniors
I do fear for the Titans future, and this is my biggest concern:

http://afltables.com/rl/crowds/robina_vn.html

Having attended Titans games last 4-5 years, I don't thinks the crowds haven't dropped as significantly as the official records suggest; their just reporting the crowds more accurately. Besides that crowd figures has to be one of the least important indicators of club viability.

You seem to have good grasp of the issues GC Titans have faced, and for each one there is good reason to have faith in their future. Their BS stadium arrangement with state gov. is being renegotiated (Apparently the Titans actually stood up for themselves & threatened to move the Broncos home game to Sydney), GC Council is undertaking an investigation into possible additional road/parking at Robina & Searle is no longer involved.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm surprised in Titans inability to get a main sponsor? We keep hearing of all these companies in Qland looking to get involved with RL, how come Titans cant attract one?

Garbler

Juniors
I'm surprised in Titans inability to get a main sponsor? We keep hearing of all these companies in Qland looking to get involved with RL, how come Titans cant attract one?

Annesley said price was higher than market is willing to offer.

I suspect Searle burnt a lot of bridges in the region too.

The Great Dane

First Grade

That's easy to answer, the Titans aren't considered a successful team and they're from the GC not Brisbane.

And as far as I can ascertain many of these Queensland companies that want to "get involved" in RL are only interested in being involved as long as the team is successful (as in top four) which makes getting them on board and keeping them on board very hard as they are only willing to sponsor teams where they'll get the maximum exposure possible, and if some of the people I know in Brisbane are to be believed even then they're only interested in putting in the absolute bare minimum.

pink v

Juniors
north sydney were betrayed by manly and the nrl neither want bears back cc wont happen. must have given them a laugh with that soccer team stealing their jumper the whole three of em give me the shits

Perth Red

Post Whore
Former Mariners coach and Gosford City Mayor Lawrie McKinna has renewed calls to give the Central Coast its own NRL team.
On the same day the NRL announced plans to play three games at Central Coast Stadium at the back end of this season, McKinna said while it’s a start: “It’s not enough.
“Whether it is the Bears or the relocation of a team, it needs a team.
“When you have a population on the Central Coast of 320,000, I think that can support a team.”
With talk the NRL will look at possible expansion beyond 2017, McKinna said: “This field is here.
“It was voted the best field for the A-League in Australia. We want games here and it would be great to have our own NRL team.”
McKinna said the financial battles that have faced the Mariners should not influence the NRL.
“I know the Mariners battle away with the smallest market. But it is well known it is a rugby league area,” he said.
“I know Greg Florimo and the Bears are getting back together looking for another push in 2018.
“This is where people can afford to buy houses. They can’t afford to buy them in Sydney.
“Forty thousand people a day travel to Sydney and Newcastle to work because the lifestyle is that good up here and the affordability of houses is that good up here.
“So more and more people are going to come here and more and more of them are going to be NRL fans who want to support a (NRL) team.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...for-its-own-team/story-fndujljl-1227391867156

Perth Red

Post Whore
From Facebook. Got to love their determination, no matter how much misguided.

Dear Bears Fans

I am writing to you today to let you know how excited we are to hear of the proposed expansion to 17 teams, via the discussion of an additional Brisbane team referred to by NRL Commission Chair John Grant today.

It is great to see the NRL embracing expansion after an extended period of inactivity in this space.

We continue to believe that the Bears, with our long and proud tradition as a 1908 Foundation club, strong membership base and a powerful brand, represents a solution to the NRL’s challenges.

We look forward to further updates from the NRL on expansion.

Yours

Greg Florimo

Perth Red

Post Whore
The famous Bears name, logo and colours may be set for a return to the NRL, even if the foundation club's bid for a team on the Central Coast is again rejected.
While chief executive Greg Florimo insists the former North Sydney-based club remains focused on securing a licence for a Central Coast team, the priority has always been to have the Bears playing again in the NRL after being expelled at the end of the 1999 season.
Goal No.1 from the start has been to make sure the Bears brand is back in the NRL

Bears CEO Greg Florimo
With doubts over the financial viability of the Titans, there is support within the NRL for the team to become the Gold Coast Bears but Florimo said that was not currently being considered.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...nrl-agenda-20151027-gkjq81.html#ixzz3pm9cZ3MG
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

applesauce

Bench
If the Titans keep their name and colours (blue, gold, white) but play in Sydney in black and red, what a horrible outcome that would be.

Trying to be half pregnant, go all in on the Titans becoming the Gold Coast Bears or leave them as is.

adamkungl

Immortal
Not sure I see the point of that.

Let's say they go forward as the Gold Coast Bears.

They lose their connection to North Sydney except as tokenism with the odd game or 2.

They are stuck representing the Gold Coast which surely we're all ready to admit is a sporting dead zone and inferior to what the Central Coast is likely to bring.

The Central Coast gets f**k all.

As much as I'd like them to be the 17th or 18th team with Perth, the NRL and networks are likely to swing towards Brisbane 2, and aside from that it's basically impossible to argue anymore that Central Coast is a higher priority than Perth or NZ-2.

If the Gold Coast Bears was to come to fruition, I'd suggest:
8 games on the GC
3 games on the CC
1 game at North Sydney

With the NRL guaranteeing another 3-6 games at Gosford, with Roosters Manly Dogs likely candidates.

If this is what happens to the Bears, Perth and a second expansion team should come in easily.

My preference however, remains 2 rounds of 2 expansions,
2017: Perth + Central Coast Bears
mid2020s: Brisbane 2 + New Zealand 2

Of course there is too much politics and indecision for ANY of the above to happen and more likely we'll tread water for the next 15 years.

Rather than misguided stadium centralisation of Sydney, my preference is for teams to expand their reach as the population does, where opportunities exist.

St George taking a higher proportion of games to Wollongong.
Manly and maybe Roosters taking consistent games to Gosford, in the absence of the Bears.
Tigers taking a higher proportion of games to Campbeltown.

Last edited:

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Not sure I see the point of that.

Let's say they go forward as the Gold Coast Bears.

They lose their connection to North Sydney except as tokenism with the odd game or 2.

They are stuck representing the Gold Coast which surely we're all ready to admit is a sporting dead zone and inferior to what the Central Coast is likely to bring.

The Central Coast gets f**k all.

As much as I'd like them to be the 17th or 18th team with Perth, the NRL and networks are likely to swing towards Brisbane 2, and aside from that it's basically impossible to argue anymore that Central Coast is a higher priority than Perth or NZ-2.

If the Gold Coast Bears was to come to fruition, I'd suggest:
8 games on the GC
3 games on the CC
1 game at North Sydney

With the NRL guaranteeing another 3-6 games at Gosford, with Roosters Manly Dogs likely candidates.

If this is what happens to the Bears, Perth and a second expansion team should come in easily.

My preference however, remains 2 rounds of 2 expansions,
2017: Perth + Central Coast Bears
mid2020s: Brisbane 2 + New Zealand 2

Of course there is too much politics and indecision for ANY of the above to happen and more likely we'll tread water for the next 15 years.

Rather than misguided stadium centralisation of Sydney, my preference is for teams to expand their reach as the population does, where opportunities exist.

St George taking a higher proportion of games to Wollongong.
Manly and maybe Roosters taking consistent games to Gosford, in the absence of the Bears.
Tigers taking a higher proportion of games to Campbeltown.

Move the tigers entity to perth
Merge wests magpies and penrith- west sydney panthers in nrl. Both play in nsw cup down theough to harold matts still as kwy pathways in West sydney.
Bring in CC bears
Bring in a SEQ side preferrably with old BRL roots- could be say moreton bay dolphins or south queensland (jets or scorpions but would be supported by souths-logan and ipswich)

18 teams, genuine expansion,rationalisation of sydney wihile acknowladging foundation clubs and shoring up key areas/pathways in CC and SEQ Simple

adamkungl

Immortal
Move the tigers entity to perth
Merge wests magpies and penrith- west sydney panthers in nrl. Both play in nsw cup down theough to harold matts still as kwy pathways in West sydney.
Bring in CC bears
Bring in a SEQ side preferrably with old BRL roots- could be say moreton bay dolphins or south queensland (jets or scorpions but would be supported by souths-logan and ipswich)

18 teams, genuine expansion,rationalisation of sydney wihile acknowladging foundation clubs and shoring up key areas/pathways in CC and SEQ Simple

Not the worst idea out but Balmain and their fans wouldn't go for it and it would be damaging to force it.

And it's important to remember that despite Wests Tigers having some issues now it wasn't long ago they were one of the most well supported Sydney clubs (still would be if they weren't in such a bad slump).

Making permanent decisions to cut or relocate teams based on short term ups and downs is what leads to situations like the Bears.

Dangle a pretty good carrot in front of Balmain and they might bite though - of all the Sydney teams it's hard to argue that they're the ones most struggling for a distinct local identity at the moment. Which is why I hope they push the majority of their operations to Campbeltown instead of clinging to the inner west so hard.

adamkungl

Immortal
On a side note - if Brookvale Oval's future is never quite secured and the CC Bears bid doesn't gain traction, it could come time for Manly and the Central Coast to suck it up and embrace each other.

The idea of a Northern Sydney-CC club was not a bad one but it was poisoned from the start by merging bitter enemies.

Manly and Gosford splitting 6 games wouldn't be a terrible outcome. Wollongong should be getting 6 games from St George too.