What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears NRL Bid.

adamkungl

Immortal
I actually think in the short term the West Coast Pirates should create a link with PNG as well.

Pirates would work well with PNG. The colours work well. Additionally, you create two away set of fans (WA people and PNG people which as worked well for the QLD CUP)

PNG has a MASSIVE potential pool for players creating a strong catchment zone for the Pirates.

If 2 - 3 home games were moved to PNG (which nows has decent stadia) you would also get sell out crowds. If you moved monday night games as well you would gaurantee good crowds on a terrible night.

1 relocated game, if any. Can't have new teams fragmenting a flimsy new market by taking home games away.

As for PNG, hopefully we see more players in the NRL as a result of the Hunters (hopefully continuing) success. More test matches and a strong national team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I have muted the idea of a PNG link up before for WA, re moving games the logical thing would be to move an away game against a asydney club, same as for SA, so WA still has 12 games but plays 2_3 games normally in Sydney in port moresby or Adelaide. I'd love to see us looking to PNG now and getting the top 4-5 under 18's I to our SG ball set up to expose them to NRL clubs. This is where the NRL continues to Fall over in terms of funding and vision. They could easily have made this happen by now if they were willing to support the Pirates.

paulmac

Juniors
I reckon the Titans are probably the club that could link up with PNG. The GC market wouldn't miss 2 home games against the likes of Penrith or Canberra.Already have Mead and MacDonald on their books,so they could use those guys as marketing tools.

RoosTah

Juniors
Return of the Bears back on NRL agenda
Date: October 27, 2015
Brad Walter and Roy Masters

The famous Bears name, logo and colours may be set for a return to the NRL, even if the foundation club's bid for a team on the Central Coast is again rejected.

While chief executive Greg Florimo insists the former North Sydney-based club remains focused on securing a licence for a Central Coast team, the priority has always been to have the Bears playing again in the NRL after being expelled at the end of the 1999 season.

With doubts over the financial viability of the Titans, there is support within the NRL for the team to become the Gold Coast Bears but Florimo said that was not currently being considered.

However, Florimo said any option that ensured the return of the Bears to the NRL would be considered if their 18-year bid for a team on the Central Coast failed to come to fruition.

"We've obviously put in [a] lot of time, money and effort, built a lot of goodwill and a lot of support for the inclusion of a Central Coast team into the competition and that is where we sit at the moment," Florimo said. "We're hopeful that the NRL is going to give us some direction on expansion and where we sit in the whole debate but obviously the No.1 intention for us is to keep the Bears brand alive.

"Until we hear anything different from the NRL we are full steam ahead with that bid, we have been driving very hard for the last six years and we are desperate for resolution at this point. But if the NRL came out and said there would be no expansion on the Central Coast we would have to look outside the square and goal No.1 from the start has been to make sure the Bears brand is back in the NRL."

The only hope of a franchise on the Central Coast being given the green light is if the

NRL decides to create an extra game to increase the value of the pay-TV broadcast rights after selling four free-to-air games to Nine from 2018, although a second Brisbane side and another team in New Zealand or Perth would be more likely options.

Should any of those regions gain admission to the NRL ahead of the Central Coast, the Bears would strongly consider becoming involved provided the team played in black and red as the Bears and could offer juniors, supporters and a sound financial base.

However, some within the NRL believe the Bears could provide a solution to their problems with the Titans, while also giving the game a greater presence north of Sydney Harbour as Manly are the only club between the CBD and Newcastle, including the Central Coast.

Such a move would also alleviate the NRL's need to share the costs of the Titans' single biggest investor Daryl Kelly, who has so far spent more than $5 million of his own money keeping the club afloat.

The Bears already have a link with the Gold Coast as Seagulls Leagues Club at Tweed Heads is owned by the wealthy North Sydney Leagues Club, which provides grassroots funding and support for junior representative teams in both areas.

The return of the Bears would enable the NRL to recover some of the lost support for a club which helped start the premiership in 1908 and still boasts about 10,000 members, including 7881 on the Central Coast.

Fairfax Media was told that one proposal involved the team remaining as the Titans but playing in black and red jerseys for all Sydney matches, including two home games at North Sydney Oval – a model similar to that employed by Fitzroy and the Brisbane Bears in the early days of their AFL merger.

However, while the old AFL club merged with a relatively new one, the NRL scheme would be a foundation club coming back from the dead to join its newest entity.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...nrl-agenda-20151027-gkjq81.html#ixzz3r9EwoHtW

To me, from a purely aesthetic standpoint, tying themselves to Christchurch would make a lot of sense to me. Their NZ team, The Bulls, are current NZ champs and their colours are identical, so it'd make for an easy merger and ensure traveling support in Sydney.

Thoughts?

flippikat

Bench
To me, from a purely aesthetic standpoint, tying themselves to Christchurch would make a lot of sense to me. Their NZ team, The Bulls, are current NZ champs and their colours are identical, so it'd make for an easy merger and ensure traveling support in Sydney.

Thoughts?

To make the NZ derby more distinctive, it would be good for the Warriors to re-brand to Auckland's traditional blue & white colours - and ditch the black/white/red they wear now.

Perhaps with green added to the gear, to distinguish themselves from the Bulldogs.. as GAZF suggested in this concept idea. http://gazf.info/auckland-warriors-2013-14/

RoosTah

Juniors
To make the NZ derby more distinctive, it would be good for the Warriors to re-brand to Auckland's traditional blue & white colours - and ditch the black/white/red they wear now.

Perhaps with green added to the gear, to distinguish themselves from the Bulldogs.. as GAZF suggested in this concept idea. http://gazf.info/auckland-warriors-2013-14/

Agree 100%. The Warriors are still very much an Auckland team, so it would make sense for them to embrace that identity more fully and help to create a meaningful north south derby

papabear

Juniors
I think the gold coast bears would work better then the gold coast titans.

Lets face it the titans are a basketcase, and are unlikely to lose many fans if they change their moniker, all it will ensure is they pack out the occasional game at NSO that previously would have had no one show up.

I think the gold coast bears would work better then the gold coast titans.

Lets face it the titans are a basketcase, and are unlikely to lose many fans if they change their moniker, all it will ensure is they pack out the occasional game at NSO that previously would have had no one show up.
The ARLC are not going to give up the Gold Coast to the aFL and vice versa even though its costing both organizations millions just to keep them treading water.
I think if the ARLC was to pull the plug on the Titans i think the aFL would follow very quickly due the the $20 million a year it costs them to run the suns, and that will only increase year on year.
I do think there will be a NRL club on the Central Coast and that it will a relocated NRL Sydney club.

reanimate

Bench
Whatever the decision is, can they please just make it and stop wasting any more time on the North Shore? Any interstate or international Bears franchise would be great, as long as they don't hold any sort of ownership or have any territory claims on the North Shore, it needs a full-time NRL presence. The Sydney Bears diehards will still be able to wear the red and black and attend all their Sydney away games and maybe the odd NSO tribute game.

CCJohnC

Juniors
If the Mariners cannot get more than 10,000 when playing Sydney FC no way will a Rugby League team be successful playing at Gosford. Better a new team was formed in Perth again.

The bears could play at canterbury (nz) and 2 or 3 games at north sydney oval and central coast...
Bears v manly at north sydney oval and bears v knights at central coast

Perth Red

Post Whore
lol like a Qland area is going to accept a historic NSW brand and club. the market value of the Bears to a new area is insignificant really and is the reason no new region has tried to get into bed with them.

Diesel

Referee
These GC Bears articles keep popping up, if true, is it too late for a rebrand in 2016 or would the look to align with any new TV deal/expansion of new teams?

papabear

Juniors
Whatever the decision is, can they please just make it and stop wasting any more time on the North Shore? Any interstate or international Bears franchise would be great, as long as they don't hold any sort of ownership or have any territory claims on the North Shore, it needs a full-time NRL presence. The Sydney Bears diehards will still be able to wear the red and black and attend all their Sydney away games and maybe the odd NSO tribute game.

If the bears dont get the north shore territory for juniors it should be split as follows:-
North of Gordon (upper north shore) becomes part of parras juniors.
South of Gordon (lower north shore) becomes part of tigers juniors.

Whatever happens whilst the clubs still run sydneys juniors manly should have no claim to north shores junior rugby league, or to there fans (in any way other then any other football side).

When my boys start playing footy it would be easier to be in a comp playing some of the manly teams .. belrose / forrestville, but truth be told, manly were 99 percent of the reason the northern eagles failed, which was the end of the bears, they should not be rewarded when they destroy rugby league.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
If the bears dont get the north shore territory for juniors it should be split as follows:-
North of Gordon (upper north shore) becomes part of parras juniors.
South of Gordon (lower north shore) becomes part of tigers juniors.

Whatever happens whilst the clubs still run sydneys juniors manly should have no claim to north shores junior rugby league, or to there fans (in any way other then any other football side).

When my boys start playing footy it would be easier to be in a comp playing some of the manly teams .. belrose / forrestville, but truth be told, manly were 99 percent of the reason the northern eagles failed, which was the end of the bears, they should not be rewarded when they destroy rugby league.

I know its just a story have heard, but didnt the Bears reps walk into the first joint-venture meeting and say that they would own the club in 2 years time??? Manly may have contributed massively to the distruction of the JV, but to lay blame entirely on them seems a massive rewrite of history....

As for the juniors, taking them away from Manly purely out of spite is ridiculous. You say "dont let them belifit from destroying the JV", i say "dont listen to the Bears fans petty feud".

siv

First Grade
Happy with CC Bears proposed model

But how about playing some NSW Cup games on the CC

papabear

Juniors
I know its just a story have heard, but didnt the Bears reps walk into the first joint-venture meeting and say that they would own the club in 2 years time??? Manly may have contributed massively to the distruction of the JV, but to lay blame entirely on them seems a massive rewrite of history....

As for the juniors, taking them away from Manly purely out of spite is ridiculous. You say "dont let them belifit from destroying the JV", i say "dont listen to the Bears fans petty feud".

I am not a bears fan, never have been.

Still remember the raiders knocking them out all those years ago in the early 90s and enjoying it immensely.

That said, you are right it was not 100 percent manlys fault, the bears and the nrl have to shoulder some of the blame. The license should have never reverted back to manly.

You could not give a club like manly a reason not to support the thing 1,000,000 percent. I get that every club has to look out for itself, but there becomes a point where you have done that much harm that what good you have gained from getting your license back is way out wieghed, by the destruction of the bears to the league and to manly.

The other thing is, manlys juniors in general have sucked more then north sydneys in my time here, thus why give manly who are pretty shit at bringing juniors through and getting more people to play rugby league control of something they clearly fail out.