What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Interesting. This map actually sells short the official region of the Central Coast, which actually extends slightly further north than the red markings:

communitybg.jpg

http://centralcoastbears.com.au/community.html

Perhaps this has been changed since macavity's claims?

BDGS

Bench
It really doesn't matter, does it?

Those areas can decide who they want to be apart of and who they don't. Just like Mackay joining the CQ NRL bid because they are disillusioned with the Cowboys.

Things like that can be changed here and there and are hardly a 'big issue' stopping the Central Coast NRL bid from joining the competition.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Well it matters when people like mac, who wants a CC NRL team stopped at any costs, makes up what appear to be false claims about the bid.

Bro Bear

Juniors
Worth mentioning that the Newcastle Knights offer from Tinkler will do nothing but help the Bears.

Many people say the Central Coast shouldn't have a team because it may have negative affects for the Newcastle Knights, well if the Knights accept this deal then their future will be safe for however as long as Tinkler owns the club.

Another reason as to why the Central Coast shouldn't have a team, GONE.

The puzzle for the Central Coast NRL bid is coming together.

Actually right. Newcastle cannot complain now. If they do not accept this offer then is shows what poor managemnt they have.

bobmar28

Bench
given the existing population, and rapid expansion in the central coast, the idea that there's too many teams in NSW is ridiculous in my view. it's an entirely different catchment area for sponsors and fans that is currently only being serviced by the A league in summer.

if someone was suggesting that, for example, newtown re enter the competition, then the argument has merit. there are too many teams in sydney. but NSW is a big state.

it's dumb that i can look through the east/west "corridoor" and see roosters, souths, st george, "wests" (balmain and campbelltown), canterbury, parramatta and penrith. THAT is an over saturation.

newcastle, central coast and manly in the space of 2 hours is not over saturation.

Too many teams in NSW?

Bro Bear

Juniors
And Central Coast has no club but will in 2013. Regional NSW has one team and ACT one team.

Brisbane do not want another team in the area but there should be another team in that area in the future..

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Exactly right. Sydney might have too many teams but nsw as a whole including regional areas do not and if the market can sustain it and the communities are willing to support them ad the ccbears have shown then there should be no problem at all.

Red Bear

Referee
When it came to individual bids, club comments were along self-interest lines, ie which bid wil impact on me. 2 Clubs expressed strong opposition to Central Coast (Manly & Newcastle), 2 expressed strong opposition to another Brisbane side (Broncos and Titans), 1 expressed mild opposition to CQLD (Cowboys) and 1 mild opposition to WA (Warriors - travel reasons). Tigers were indifferent to the Bears due to the number of fans they have on the Coast.
Interesting historically that Manly seem to be so against the Bears being re-introduced on the Central Coast. In the 40's North Sydney were fully supportive of the introduction of a Manly rugby league side entering the competition, despite the negative effects it would have on our side. Sure enough once Manly were introduced we lost our entire backline under the residency rule, along with much of our reserve grade, and won 3 wooden spoons the next 5 years or something like that. But we still had put club selfishness aside and thought of the greater good.

Down the track there is none of that thought from Manly, a club which happily poached from us for years. Now you're a little bit concerned that a bit of competition at your doorstep might be tough to handle?

Manly have forever been a self-interested club with no thought towards the good of the game, and if they should become as isolated as those on the peninsula have always desired to be upon the introduction of a rugby league side covering both sides of their catchment then so be it. They've made their own bed.

dgsfan

Juniors
Because introducing another NSW team is not for the greater good this time. It may have been decades ago back when the comp was called the NSWRL, but not now when the league is looking to go national.

adamkungl

Immortal
Because introducing another NSW team is not for the greater good this time. It may have been decades ago back when the comp was called the NSWRL, but not now when the league is looking to go national.

So we should put another team in QLD, obviously :sarcasm:

PB

Bench
Alot of the same old lines but IMO the reasons we don’t need a team on the Central Coast are far and wide.

1. Too many in teams in NSW
2. Most sponsors, the big ones – the ones with the cash the sport needs, don’t care if a club is in Bankstown, Penrith or the Central Coast, they sponsor for NATIONAL exposure – that is a big part of the reasons why they wanted the league known as the “National Rugby League” – to be more appealing to sponsors.
3. The Illawarra Steelers couldn’t survive with a locally based major Interational company and a huge junior league with excellent history of players (past and present) who have been among the elite of the game – The Central Coast has no major industry and has two or three average players trotting around at the moment and that is about it.
4. The game does not have enough players for a 17th team, a team would need to re-locate.
5. If a team is to re-locate the NRL would be crazy – repeat crazy - not to go interstate. Don’t be surprised if a big part of the negotiations of the new media deal involves the NRL having to make a commitment to sending teams interstate.
6. What is the Raiders biggest problem – attracting players to live in Canberra. Who (under the age of 65) wants to live on the Central Coast unless they grew up there?
Fortunately with the new Commission any “promises” made by the NRL hierarchy in the past are pretty much null and void now I would imagine so the Central Coast bid team will have to start the kissing up process again (as would the other bidders) with the new commission I would imagine.

supera

Juniors
an area of about 4mil, vs an area of about 1.5?

exactly my point mate - an area of about 4million that has a massive 7 teams... and then we have an area around gosford of 1.5mil with no teams.

the oversaturation of teams is in Sydney, not in NSW when you have a heartland region like that without a team.

i actually couldn't care less, i too find most of these posts rather inane. but for me, the bears absolutely must be the next team into the competition, ahead of even the Reds in my view.

PB

Bench
exactly my point mate - an area of about 4million that has a massive 7 teams... and then we have an area around gosford of 1.5mil with no teams.

the oversaturation of teams is in Sydney, not in NSW when you have a heartland region like that without a team.

i actually couldn't care less, i too find most of these posts rather inane. but for me, the bears absolutely must be the next team into the competition, ahead of even the Reds in my view.

My apologies if i am mis-reading, but are you suggesting the Central Coast is "rugby league heartland"?

skeepe

Immortal

1.5 million, who the f**k are you trying to kid? The Central Coast has a population of around 300k.

macavity

Referee

No.

Newcastle and Manly already in that area of 1.5mil.

About 4mil in the rest of Sydney - 6.5 teams.

the teams-per-person ratio is quite similar - and that isn't taking into account that Newcastle's catchment is so geographically big.

macavity

Referee
1.5 million, who the f**k are you trying to kid? The Central Coast has a population of around 300k.

but they represent North Sydney, remember.

except when they claim to be a "regional team", and they don't.

depends on whether they have taken their meds, it seems.

Beowulf

Juniors
Alot of the same old lines but IMO the reasons we don’t need a team on the Central Coast are far and wide.

1. Too many in teams in NSW
2. Most sponsors, the big ones – the ones with the cash the sport needs, don’t care if a club is in Bankstown, Penrith or the Central Coast, they sponsor for NATIONAL exposure – that is a big part of the reasons why they wanted the league known as the “National Rugby League” – to be more appealing to sponsors.
3. The Illawarra Steelers couldn’t survive with a locally based major Interational company and a huge junior league with excellent history of players (past and present) who have been among the elite of the game – The Central Coast has no major industry and has two or three average players trotting around at the moment and that is about it.
4. The game does not have enough players for a 17th team, a team would need to re-locate.
5. If a team is to re-locate the NRL would be crazy – repeat crazy - not to go interstate. Don’t be surprised if a big part of the negotiations of the new media deal involves the NRL having to make a commitment to sending teams interstate.
6. What is the Raiders biggest problem – attracting players to live in Canberra. Who (under the age of 65) wants to live on the Central Coast unless they grew up there?
Fortunately with the new Commission any “promises” made by the NRL hierarchy in the past are pretty much null and void now I would imagine so the Central Coast bid team will have to start the kissing up process again (as would the other bidders) with the new commission I would imagine.

OK, where to start...
1. There may be an over-saturation in SE Sydney, but the central coast is a regional centre of NSW. There are 2 regional QLD teams and only 1 regional NSW team if you want to play that game.
2. Sponsorship announcements due soon from the Bears will refute that opinion in spades. They want access to the Central Coast market.
3. Hence the use of the Bear logo and history to entice corporates from the nationally huge corporate areas of Noth Sydney and Nth Ryde - combined they are larger than many capital cities.
4. Expansion offers opportunities to talent otherwise overlooked plus with the appreciation of the AUD many of the English based players are desperately scrambling for NRL Clubs. We could easily fill 18 teams now and 20 in another 7 or 8 years.
5. The NRL will expand by 2 therefore almost certainly there will be a team interstate???!
6. New Academy of Excellence to be built will attract players for the top training facilities. You obviously haven't visited Avoca, Terrigal, Shelley Beach, where all the players will live. Average property prices on the beaches are well over $1 million. And re the IC, they, in conjunction with the NRL administrators, will make all strategic decisions on the game. The two most important people to have on side are David Gallop and the CFO of the NRL.

Status
Not open for further replies.