What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmar28

Bench
They encouraged the W.A. Reds & C.C.Bears in selling members and merchandise. The CCBEARS started this whole push for expansion and then W.A. Reds took the opportunity to also bring forth and build their bid around this push.

CQ came into the frame amost a year after without any NRL encouragement. They were brought forth and started building their bid around Murphy and O'Keefe. It wasn't until Gallop went to CQ that he saw the potential in the area as it grows in the next decade-15 years.

Ipswich Jets then saw their opportunity to put together a bid as well. Initially and still they are seen as simply making up the numbers. I say this because their work doesn't reflect a bid that is 100% commited yet. Lack of information and general community engagement tells the story. Due to this they are behind the 8-Ball.

In the last 18 months when expansion has been mentioned in the media, the CCBEARS & WAREDS always get a mention. The CCBEARS are so ready that the NRL has put them on stand by twice to fill the void should a current team fall (Cronulla & Melbourne).

If the NRL however were to currently encourage JUST the WAREDS and CCBEARS it would do more harm then good because the message it would send to the QLD bids wouldn't be good. So just like last time (GCTITANS, S.ORCAS & CCBEARS). One bid gets the majority of attention whilst the others get part mentioning so it makes them feel like they have a genuine chance and therefore can keep growing their profile and as such the potential for a team (if not now atleast in the near future).

Memberships, stadiums, business model, community support, sponsorships, merchandise, corporate support aside and the CCBEARS still have the better bid team and bid process. Because unlike the others, we have been there done that and learnt from past failures. I believe in life sometimes you have to fail to be able to win. You must learn from that and come back stronger than before.

W.A.Reds and CCBears have undoutably done this. Their profiles expands and the support base grows. Through this equity is acheived and through that the neccessary funds are reached to be able to lauch a bid that is 100% commited to not only to the area which they plan to represent but also to make sure it highlights the strength of the game in Australia.

No half-assed bids will get close. Regardless of potential. Because at the end of the day, potential and success are two different things. Whilst potential is filed with maybes and possibilities, success is built from performing 100% and covering all corners.

So if QLD bids spend all their time, effort and money on a bid and fail...that's life?

On the other hand if the Bears spend all their time, effort and money on a bid and fail...that's a tragedy. Even though they have known all along that NSW already has too many teams.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
So if QLD bids spend all their time, effort and money on a bid and fail...that's life?

On the other hand if the Bears spend all their time, effort and money on a bid and fail...that's a tragedy. Even though they have known all along that NSW already has too many teams.

No. Because like I said, the CCBEARS have been there and done that. We have put forth 2 previous bids and we didn't succeed. So we went back to the drawing board, Took the advice of the NRL, saw what worked for the Titans, added our own dimension and created a new bid lead by new people with a new direction.

The results? Everything we've ahcieved to this point.

Neither QLD team has put out a serious bid before. Neither has stayed in close contact with the NRL, neither has looked at what worked for the Titans (memberships, merchandise, land aquisition, community engagement), neither adding a new dimension to their bid. (The CQ private bid is similar to the Singo-backed CCBEARS bid.. whilst the Jets is similar to the Orcas bid).

It isn't a tragedy on that basis alone. It's a tragedy that the CCBEARS were culled when we never should have, when we fought back but failed once before and now have a far more advanced bid then ever before. It's a tragedy that so many people are on board this bid and we've garnered so much support already. It's a tragedy that we have spent money and resources because we love this game. It's a tragedy that we built a stadium that's rarely used.

Let me know when the Jets or CQ do this and then I might see where you're coming from. Until then there's no comparisons and each situation/circumstance deserve their own merits.

All the past years information that's been released from media streams, NRL and other official sources indicate that i'm close to 100% correct in regards to this. There has been nothing mentioned that even comes close to your conclusion.

Last edited:

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
2GO have announced that the CRL have put their full weight behind the Central Coast Bears bid. Another box gets ticked and bites the dust.

BDGS

Bench
"The corridor around Ipswich is the fastest growing region in Australia and we need to be a part of it". David Gallop 2010.

That sounds a bit like consideration to me.

How long ago was that said?

How much has been said since then?

Why Ipswich fans hold onto that one line, the Central Coast Fans have been given more and more from the NRL then any other bid.

NSW to get an 11th team while QLD waits seven years to get their fourth team? I think most QLDers would disagree.

Why is this a QLD vs NSW thing?

It's not, this is a Central Coast vs Ipswich thing.

If Ipswich has to wait seven years then so be it, if they are around by the next expansion window it shows they really want it. Like other bids have had to done or does anything from Queensland get special case considerations that the rest of Australia don't get.

The Central Coast has been waiting for a team for 64 years, the Bears have been waiting for a team for 12 years, somehow waiting seven years doesn't seem so long compared to that.

Beowulf

Juniors
They encouraged the W.A. Reds & C.C.Bears in selling members and merchandise. The CCBEARS started this whole push for expansion and then W.A. Reds took the opportunity to also bring forth and build their bid around this push.

CQ came into the frame amost a year after without any NRL encouragement. They were brought forth and started building their bid around Murphy and O'Keefe. It wasn't until Gallop went to CQ that he saw the potential in the area as it grows in the next decade-15 years.

Ipswich Jets then saw their opportunity to put together a bid as well. Initially and still they are seen as simply making up the numbers. I say this because their work doesn't reflect a bid that is 100% commited yet. Lack of information and general community engagement tells the story. Due to this they are behind the 8-Ball.

In the last 18 months when expansion has been mentioned in the media, the CCBEARS & WAREDS always get a mention. The CCBEARS are so ready that the NRL has put them on stand by twice to fill the void should a current team fall (Cronulla & Melbourne).

If the NRL however were to currently encourage JUST the WAREDS and CCBEARS it would do more harm then good because the message it would send to the QLD bids wouldn't be good. So just like last time (GCTITANS, S.ORCAS & CCBEARS). One bid gets the majority of attention whilst the others get part mentioning so it makes them feel like they have a genuine chance and therefore can keep growing their profile and as such the potential for a team (if not now atleast in the near future).

Memberships, stadiums, business model, community support, sponsorships, merchandise, corporate support aside and the CCBEARS still have the better bid team and bid process. Because unlike the others, we have been there done that and learnt from past failures. I believe in life sometimes you have to fail to be able to win. You must learn from that and come back stronger than before.

W.A.Reds and CCBears have undoutably done this. Their profiles expands and the support base grows. Through this equity is acheived and through that the neccessary funds are reached to be able to lauch a bid that is 100% commited to not only to the area which they plan to represent but also to make sure it highlights the strength of the game in Australia.

No half-assed bids will get close. Regardless of potential. Because at the end of the day, potential and success are two different things. Whilst potential is filed with maybes and possibilities, success is built from performing 100% and covering all corners.

Good summary R&B Bear.

Beowulf

Juniors
2GO have announced that the CRL have put their full weight behind the Central Coast Bears bid. Another box gets ticked and bites the dust.

Massive news - access to all the players in the catchement - rego days, carnivals, matches. Big membership spike to come in February I'd say.

Perth Red

Post Whore
As much as I admire many aspects of the Bears bid this talking up non events is getting irksome. First the "superior" comment, later shot down by the NRL, now the Bennett Gould one when neither man has been asked if they'd be willing to do this. (in fact as his employer I would imagine St G might have something to say about it) Geez there must have been 10+ NRL faces/names come out in support of the Reds over the last couple of years, maybe we should release a media statement about how we "might" take Richardson, Dell, Kimmorley, Geyer, Kearns + the 15 NRL chairmen who backed us last month etc etc with us, I hope the NRL has a big meeting room! :)

docbrown

Coach
Will the CRL support change the parameters of City vs Country eligibility?

At the moment I believe the Gosford reps play for City.

BDGS

Bench
As much as I admire many aspects of the Bears bid this talking up non events is getting irksome. First the "superior" comment, later shot down by the NRL, now the Bennett Gould one when neither man has been asked if they'd be willing to do this. (in fact as his employer I would imagine St G might have something to say about it) Geez there must have been 10+ NRL faces/names come out in support of the Reds over the last couple of years, maybe we should release a media statement about how we "might" take Richardson, Dell, Kimmorley, Geyer, Kearns + the 15 NRL chairmen who backed us last month etc etc with us, I hope the NRL has a big meeting room! :)

Thats if you believe what's in the media.

Beowulf

Juniors

Surprised to see you write that as to be fair, both Bennett and Gould have offered to help out in whatever capacity, along with a few other high profile people in and outside of league. its not world-shattering news, but it is news, and hence entitled to be published on forum sites etc...all the other bids are doing the same thing. Sometimes the press report, sometimes they don't. By good luck for the Bears, the newspapers thought the news worthy of printing (maybe it was a slow day!). That's not our fault!

Probably the most interesting point is that it was posted on Channel 9 and the NRL's websites.....

As for the G. Annessley backflip - he didn't deny saying the BEars bid was superior - just he couldn't recall what happened 2 weeks ago! Had no choice really, did he?!

P.S - Richo and MG are going to be busy helping out 2 bids then!!!!

Last edited:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
So now i get back to the point about expansion. Jets provide TV money which is equal to the CCBEARS TV money. As a matter of fact I'd say the CCBEARS will provide more revenue to the NRL from the TV Rights. Prime (Channel 7) and NBN (Channel 9) are signed on as minority/foundation sponsors. That's two completely different and competing companies signed up for one purpose.

On here, it has been proven that Friday night ratings are about 50'000 to 100'000 viewers higher when a Sth East Queensland team are involved.

With a 3rd SEQ team in, there is more of a chance that one of them will be in form and then be worthy of Friday night football.

The CCBears, no matter how good their bid may be, will not garner more viewers then clubs like St George, Parramatta, Canterbury, Wests Tigers and South Sydney. At least not any time soon. So although, the CCBears will be successful, they could be the biggest club in the state, they will not make any relevance to the SEQ market, which is where the extra 50'000 to 100'000 are which is what the TV companies will be paying for.

Merchandise, memberships, the stadium, that's all awesome stuff for the Bears. But that is not going to add to the over all revenue stream for the rest of the clubs which is going to be the primary goal of the IC.

How is it possible that the Bears will provide more TV ratings then another SEQ team?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
On here, it has been proven that Friday night ratings are about 50'000 to 100'000 viewers higher when a Sth East Queensland team are involved.

With a 3rd SEQ team in, there is more of a chance that one of them will be in form and then be worthy of Friday night football.

The CCBears, no matter how good their bid may be, will not garner more viewers then clubs like St George, Parramatta, Canterbury, Wests Tigers and South Sydney. At least not any time soon. So although, the CCBears will be successful, they could be the biggest club in the state, they will not make any relevance to the SEQ market, which is where the extra 50'000 to 100'000 are which is what the TV companies will be paying for.

Merchandise, memberships, the stadium, that's all awesome stuff for the Bears. But that is not going to add to the over all revenue stream for the rest of the clubs which is going to be the primary goal of the IC.

How is it possible that the Bears will provide more TV ratings then another SEQ team?
Because they were the 2nd most watched team in the 90's :sarcasm:.

Status
Not open for further replies.