What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:?

Gosford classified as "City"?

Since when?

:|

Haven't they played CvC up here as a "Country" venue?

Beowulf

Juniors
On here, it has been proven that Friday night ratings are about 50'000 to 100'000 viewers higher when a Sth East Queensland team are involved.

With a 3rd SEQ team in, there is more of a chance that one of them will be in form and then be worthy of Friday night football.

The CCBears, no matter how good their bid may be, will not garner more viewers then clubs like St George, Parramatta, Canterbury, Wests Tigers and South Sydney. At least not any time soon. So although, the CCBears will be successful, they could be the biggest club in the state, they will not make any relevance to the SEQ market, which is where the extra 50'000 to 100'000 are which is what the TV companies will be paying for.

Merchandise, memberships, the stadium, that's all awesome stuff for the Bears. But that is not going to add to the over all revenue stream for the rest of the clubs which is going to be the primary goal of the IC.

How is it possible that the Bears will provide more TV ratings then another SEQ team?

They could well not, but as the 2nd most watched side in the 90's with a lot of support in QLD, they will definitely have interest in QLD - concede not enough to bridge the gap on TV ratings in SEQ - on all other points, the Bears are well ahead - I think everyone can concede at least that point. It comes down to what % of the formula used to decide does TV play....not as much as the readiness and proposed business model of the bid. Remember, to maximise TV revenues the NRL would want teams in 2013, 2014 latest. They have to make a decision this year. Who is ready?

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
My initials fears are fast-forwarding a team that isn't structurally ready and having a Sydney Rovers Part. II scenario.

I believe many people here are underestimating the value of crowd numbers and support and emphasising too much on TV numbers. Sure TV numbers are important but so is the community support and the crowd figures. You can't underline one for the other.

This whole CCBEARS cover everything except one detail is ridiculous and shows that a few people here don't want them for no valid reason. I'd rather a bid that covers 99% of the criteria and is self sustainable then another bid that might get good TV ratings but most of that $$ from TV ratings is used to prop them up. That is the likely outcome from all of this.

Last edited:

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
The next Central Coast Bears membership drive is on @

GOSFORD WATERFRONT - AUSTRALIA DAY
DATE: Wednesday 26th January
TIME: From 9:30am

bobmar28

Bench
Surprised to see you write that as to be fair, both Bennett and Gould have offered to help out in whatever capacity, along with a few other high profile people in and outside of league. its not world-shattering news, but it is news, and hence entitled to be published on forum sites etc...all the other bids are doing the same thing. Sometimes the press report, sometimes they don't. By good luck for the Bears, the newspapers thought the news worthy of printing (maybe it was a slow day!). That's not our fault!

Probably the most interesting point is that it was posted on Channel 9 and the NRL's websites.....

As for the G. Annessley backflip - he didn't deny saying the BEars bid was superior - just he couldn't recall what happened 2 weeks ago! Had no choice really, did he?!

P.S - Richo and MG are going to be busy helping out 2 bids then!!!!

The day Wayne Bennett comes out and says he is on board with the CC bears is the day I concede that it will probably happen.

bobmar28

Bench
My initials fears are fast-forwarding a team that isn't structurally ready and having a Sydney Rovers Part. II scenario.

I believe many people here are underestimating the value of crowd numbers and support and emphasising too much on TV numbers. Sure TV numbers are important but so is the community support and the crowd figures. You can't underline one for the other.

This whole CCBEARS cover everything except one detail is ridiculous and shows that a few people here don't want them for no valid reason. I'd rather a bid that covers 99% of the criteria and is self sustainable then another bid that might get good TV ratings but most of that $$ from TV ratings is used to prop them up. That is the likely outcome from all of this.

For me it is mostly about expansion. Another team in NSW is not expansion.

docbrown

Coach
:?

Gosford classified as "City"?

Since when?

:|

Haven't they played CvC up here as a "Country" venue?

Oh I just remembered reading somewhere that since the 'Origin' rules were introduced that players brought up through the Gosford system played for City.

Clearly though as another user pointed out that's been changed.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
The day Wayne Bennett comes out and says he is on board with the CC bears is the day I concede that it will probably happen.

waynebennettquote.jpg

BunniesMan

Immortal
For me it is mostly about expansion. Another team in NSW is not expansion.
Add bobmar28 to the list of idiots who don't know what the word "expansion" means.

Didn't anyone teach you that you shouldn't use words until you know what they mean?

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
The Central Coast Bears will be fine. We've put in too much work and effort into this. Rejecting them now would do alot more harm to the game then good on the basis of how many people are behind the movement and how much sponsors to our game have put into the bid.

On the same token due to the lack of work by the QLD bids, rejecting them now would only strengthen their push for next time. A'la The CCBEARS from previous bid to now.

Rejecting the W.A. Reds would also be a bad move.

BDGS

Bench
They could well not, but as the 2nd most watched side in the 90's with a lot of support in QLD, they will definitely have interest in QLD - concede not enough to bridge the gap on TV ratings in SEQ - on all other points, the Bears are well ahead - I think everyone can concede at least that point. It comes down to what % of the formula used to decide does TV play....not as much as the readiness and proposed business model of the bid. Remember, to maximise TV revenues the NRL would want teams in 2013, 2014 latest. They have to make a decision this year. Who is ready?

The thing is, it doesn't really matter how much money a team can bring in through the TV deal. If they haven't got a strong business model with community (sponsors) support the club will fall flat after a few years of being funded by the NRL. It also as the opportunity of while perhaps raising TV numbers to lower crowd numbers for that team and surrounding teams, which would have the game looking very silly.

Although i am still interested to hear more about Brisbane 2.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
:lol:

I was going to do the exact same thing.

They will dismiss it. They will say it's lies. They will say it didn't happen. But they won't make the effort to find out for sure.

I can bang my head against a wall for an entire day, however it doesn't mean I'm gonna break the wall down am I?

dgsfan

Juniors
Hmm 10 NSW teams to 3 QLD teams. QLD has 63% the population of NSW. 63% of 10 is approx. 6, yet QLD only has 3 teams. If you add another NSW team that stat goes out to 7!

adamkungl

Immortal
You can bring up stats all you want. If CC isn't expansion than neither is Ipswich or Brisbane, and the only real expansion on offer is WA. If Ipswich is expansion, then so is CC.

I don't get the Bears hate.

In my 40 odd years of following the game I can't remember too many teams more deserving of a spot in the big time.

The Queensland bids all seem half-arsed to me and will end up the way of the Crushers if we're not careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.