What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDGS

Bench
Yeah it was, but this news changed ages ago. The Telegraph has for some reason picked up on it today as if it's some sort of epic story, when it isn't.

I didn't even know it the tele picked it up, just saw the fixture change.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
The next Central Coast Bears membership drives are @

Westfields Chatswood
Saturday 5th & Sunday 6th February, (this coming weekend)

Ourimbah-Wyoming Magpies Registration Day,
Sohier Park, Saturday 12th February

Avoca Beach Central Coast Branch Nippers Carnival
Sunday February 13th

More membership drives.

ERINA EAGLES REGISTRATION DAY
DATE: Saturday 5th January from 10am
WHERE: Erina Leagues Club

WESTFIELD CHATSWOOD
DATE: Saturday 5th February & Sunday 6th February
TIME: From 9:30am

Doug2234

First Grade
I come from the Central Coast, they first talked about taking a team to the Central Coast in 1983, it is now 2011. We don't count the Northern Eagles. Has the NRL turned its back on the Coast? Do the fans up there have a right to feel frustrated?

I think the whole demise of the North Sydney Bears, the fact that they were going to move to the Central Coast, that is a frustrating episode in the game's history. The merit of a team at Gosford is obvious, you've got a ready-made stadium, you've got a population that loves the game, you've got potential to reconnect to the traditional North Sydney fans, the corporate support of the North Shore. But to be fair, they are still working on their financial model, I think they would say it is not quite ready to present. I have met with them since Christmas and they would say they are still fine-tuning their financial model.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...or-a-rosy-future/story-e6frexnr-1225998330287

Beowulf

Juniors

The comments I believe are very positive - he's frustrated by the failed move to the Central Coast and is waiting for them to dot the i's and cross the t's on the financial model to make it watertight....which is being done this month.

This implies the Central Coast is a strategic target and as the most advanced bid, is favourite for the 'heartland' slot IMO. Good thing is, there's even more positive news to come in the next few weeks re sponsors.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Be it increasing the game's national profile which will help with broadcasting and sponsorship :clap:

This is a worry, starting to sound like a club CEO!

having said that, financially we haven't got our existing clubs to a point where they are necessarily flush with money and that is a concern if you're considering expansion

Clear Gallop favours Bears and Reds, he has been consistent in that.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
The comments I believe are very positive - he's frustrated by the failed move to the Central Coast and is waiting for them to dot the i's and cross the t's on the financial model to make it watertight....which is being done this month.

This implies the Central Coast is a strategic target and as the most advanced bid, is favourite for the 'heartland' slot IMO. Good thing is, there's even more positive news to come in the next few weeks re sponsors.

Yeah, I agree. It's definitely a positive and he makes note to mention a single aspect of the bid. I believe that might be the very last hurdle that the NRL want the Central Coast Bears to jump. But with our financial model worked through and with only 56 days to go until the bid is sumbitted, the bid team is hard working around the clock to make sure everything is as tight as can be.

Even after the bid is sumbitted, the hard work will still continue with the volunteers through the weekly memberships drives and the on going community engagement at local events. This is all very exciting stuff. Go the Bears!

Be it increasing the game's national profile which will help with broadcasting and sponsorship :clap:

This is a worry, starting to sound like a club CEO!

having said that, financially we haven't got our existing clubs to a point where they are necessarily flush with money and that is a concern if you're considering expansion

Clear Gallop favours Bears and Reds, he has been consistent in that.

I sure hope so. I think David Gallop has alot on his plate at the moment. The interview didn't cover much new ground but his stance on certain topics has been concrete. I'm sure once the TV Rights deal is worked out, there will be more emphasis on salary cap & expansion.

All in all, he see's the positives in bring in the W.A. Reds & Central Coast Bears. That is good news.

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I come from the Central Coast, they first talked about taking a team to the Central Coast in 1983, it is now 2011. We don't count the Northern Eagles. Has the NRL turned its back on the Coast? Do the fans up there have a right to feel frustrated?

I think the whole demise of the North Sydney Bears, the fact that they were going to move to the Central Coast, that is a frustrating episode in the game's history. The merit of a team at Gosford is obvious, you've got a ready-made stadium, you've got a population that loves the game, you've got potential to reconnect to the traditional North Sydney fans, the corporate support of the North Shore. But to be fair, they are still working on their financial model, I think they would say it is not quite ready to present. I have met with them since Christmas and they would say they are still fine-tuning their financial model.

To me this sounds as though the Bears are as good as in. 5 years ago Gallop would have killed off any questions about the Bears re-entering the competition now he is giving reasons why they SHOULD be in.

BDGS

Bench
That's right, its up to the IC, who will be the CEO of the IC again?

I think its a guy named Mr. Gallop, he has gotten the job due to his experience of making a little competition called the NRL the most watched in Australia.

BDGS

Bench

To me this sounds as though the Bears are as good as in. 5 years ago Gallop would have killed off any questions about the Bears re-entering the competition now he is giving reasons why they SHOULD be in.

It's the first time he has been questioned about a particular bid and not pulled up any negatives about whichever bid the question was about.

Perth Red

Post Whore
and reality is IC will have a very short period of time to make a decision IF expansion is a feature of a new TV deal. They will rely on Gallop to fill in the blanks for them.

smithie

Juniors
and reality is IC will have a very short period of time to make a decision IF expansion is a feature of a new TV deal. They will rely on Gallop to fill in the blanks for them.

That's what I fear. The longer it takes the IC to takeover, the less likely expansion for 2013 will be.

The Gold Coast were granted a licence on May 27th, 2005 for entry in the 2007 season.

The clock is ticking.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
http://express-advocate-gosford.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/its-all-systems-go-says-flo/

It's all systems go, says Flo
RUGBY LEAGUE
3 FEB 11 @ 02:25AM BY LAUREN NICHOLLS

NEWS of a second Brisbane-based bid team and talk of delays to NRL expansion have not scared the Central Coast Bears.

This week it was revealed that a new consortium would challenge for entry in the NRL, while Gold Coast Titans chief executive Michael Searle reportedly said the earliest a new team would be added would be 2017.

However, Bears chief executive Greg Florimo said they would not let other teams or people’s comments make them lose sight of their goal - inclusion in the 2013 competition. “We want to just keep focusing on our campaign,” he said. “There’s all sorts of hurdles and speed bumps as we get closer and closer, but we’re keeping our eye on the prize.”

Searle was quoted in media reports this week that it would be too hard for a bid team to frame a market by 2013 in such a congested field, but Florimo said the final decision did not lie with him.

“While he’s been very active in forming the independent commission those decisions will be made by the independent commission itself and not by club chief executives,” Florimo said.

And although the proposed Brisbane team brings a new competitor to the mix, Florimo said they wouldn’t let it deter them.

“Every bid is a threat but we are very confident that we have a compelling case,” he said.

One thing that did frustrate Florimo this week was news that a Wests Tigers and Parramatta trial pencilled in at Bluetongue Stadium for February 19 had been moved to Campbelltown.

“I know the rugby league community on the coast is hungry for games so it is a bit of a disappointment.”

Stadium general manager Monique Marks said it was right in the middle of Mariners finals and they had three NRL matches scheduled there already for the season.

Beowulf

Juniors
For all Sydney fans not yet members, join the Bears at Chatswood Westfield this weekend from 9.30am on Saturday and 10.00am on Sunday - location level 2 between Coles and the ramp down to Target. Just look for the promo girls!!!

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
For all Sydney fans not yet members, join the Bears at Chatswood Westfield this weekend from 9.30am on Saturday and 10.00am on Sunday - location level 2 between Coles and the ramp down to Target. Just look for the promo girls!!!

Sounds good. Very good.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Central Coast Bears membership drives today @

ERINA EAGLES REGISTRATION DAY
DATE: Saturday 5th January from 10am
WHERE: Erina Leagues Club

WESTFIELD CHATSWOOD
DATE: Saturday 5th February
TIME: From 9:30am

Red&BlackBear

First Grade