What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goddo

Bench
Only a licence? Geez mate. A licence is huge.

Not really dopey.

All of the Government promises for infrastructure for the Jets and Central Queensland are conditional on them getting into the NRL first - the Titans had similar arangements.

If you make demands for stadiums first, licence second, there will be no expansion ever in some very important markets.

I only hope the stadiums built would follow EnergyAustralia/Suncorp model of progressive build to a plan rather than a cheap cookie cutter ground like Skilled Park.

BDGS

Bench
Not really dopey.

All of the Government promises for infrastructure for the Jets and Central Queensland are conditional on them getting into the NRL first - the Titans had similar arangements.

If you make demands for stadiums first, licence second, there will be no expansion ever in some very important markets.

I only hope the stadiums built would follow EnergyAustralia/Suncorp model of progressive build to a plan rather than a cheap cookie cutter ground like Skilled Park.

A NRL licence is what all expansion bids are wanting to get. It's the main prize, its not something that should be undermined by careless language in any situation.

Funny how every time some disagrees with anyone on this site there is a insult thrown in there, obviously a reason behind that.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm sorry, noone's answered why QLD deserves another team given the declining attendances for it's two teams outside Brisbane. Both Titans and Cowboys crowds are a cause for concern in recent years.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I'm sorry, noone's answered why QLD deserves another team given the declining attendances for it's two teams outside Brisbane. Both Titans and Cowboys crowds are a cause for concern in recent years.
Because people are arbitrary and stupid and stubborn. "NSW has 10, QLD has 3, so the next one MUST go to QLD". Instead of looking at the facts.

dgsfan

Juniors
Titans cause for concern? 4th best supported club in the comp and probably has the highest membership prices. How do you feel about stmerge crowds given they were minor premiers in 2009? Titans beat them. Cowboys had a shocking year. Can't blame their fans. What's bad is Sydney's "number 1 team" (minor premiers BTW) came 7th overall behind the other 2 QLD teams.

blukablu

Juniors

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This is obviously a joke right?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The non success of the cowboys is a worry. Although they cover a huge geographical area the population of that area is very small, possibly the smallest of all 16 clubs. They have to look at engaging the Cairns area more and push their territory into Darwin which has a small but strong league following.
As for the Titans, Searle thinks because its called the gold coast fans are made of gold.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
A NRL licence is what all expansion bids are wanting to get. It's the main prize, its not something that should be undermined by careless language in any situation.

Funny how every time some disagrees with anyone on this site there is a insult thrown in there, obviously a reason behind that.

You should really have a look through your own posts.

It was an obvious stir so I guess most of us ignored it.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The non success of the cowboys is a worry. Although they cover a huge geographical area the population of that area is very small, possibly the smallest of all 16 clubs. They have to look at engaging the Cairns area more and push their territory into Darwin which has a small but strong league following.
As for the Titans, Searle thinks because its called the gold coast fans are made of gold.
Barlow Park apparently only seats 12,000. Taking a game there and selling it out would still lose the Cowboys money (in their entire history I don't think that the Cowboys have ever averaged below 15'000)

It'd be nice if the government stepped in and upgraded it so they could fit in 20K or so with temp seating.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Q'land seems the most logical choice for a lot of reasons, but there bid isn't as close to being developed as either the Bears or Reds. I have to say it is very doubtful that in 3-6 months (anticipated bid submission date) they could present a stronger bid than either of these two.

Knightmare

Coach
If the game wants to put out the last glowing embers from the Superleague war, once and for all, they will admit the Central Coast Bears and the W.A Reds. Here is why. The following teams were sacrificed because of the Superleague war, either directly or indirectly:

Gold Coast (Chargers)
Western Reds
Adelaide
Hunter Mariners
South Queensland
Souths
Wests
Balmain
Norths
Manly

Now, Hunter and Adelaide were both artificial teams created solely to add numbers to Superleague's season draw. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think there is even a single person on these forums who supported the Rams? As for the Mariners, I have yet to encounter a person from the Hunter who gave up on League because News Ltd. pulled the plug on them.

South Queensland could consider themselves a bit unlucky, but at the same time if a new Brisbane team wants to thrive, it should be an established QRL side, not a new creation with no previous history, if it wants to compete with the Broncos. Furthermore, if having another NRL side in Qld is such top priority, surely Ipswich or Central Qld is more important than cutting in on the Broncos territory (short-term anyway).

Balmain were looking to relocate long before Rupert Murdoch took an interest in our game, even back in the 80's they looked at relocating to the Central Coast or Melbourne. Returning to Leichardt in 1997 after the Sydney Tigers experiment was only a temporary thing. Old Balmain fans should at least feel lucky their team lives on in Sydney, instead of being an interstate side.

Wests were marked down for extinction long before Sewerleague, if people remember they got kicked out along with Newtown back in '83 but won their way back into the comp via the courts. They did little between 1984 and '99 but bring up the rear of the ladder and draw small crowds, save for finals appearances in 1991-92 and 1995-96.

Gold Coast are now back as the Titans and doing great, Manly are back and have won a Premiership since returning as a stand-alone team and Souths are back and a much more professional team than they were under the chook-raffle administration of the Piggins years.

Which leaves us with the Bears and Reds, two teams from either side of the split who were both dudded by the war. Were it not for Sewerleague, the Reds could have built a solid supporter base in W.A and even have a few talented local juniors in their NRL side. They were a team with a promising future who were sacrificed for a short-term deal. As for the Bears- well the people of the North Shore, and then the Central Coast, lost their team. All the shrill "We have too many teams in NSW!!!" brigade should remember that in the games' most successful season (1994), 13 of the 16 teams were from NSW. When it comes to expansion, I care most about what a potential bid can bring to the game. I couldn't give a f**k about how neat and evenly spread out it will look on a map of Australia, and anybody who isn't a complete moron doesn't give a f**k either. You want to use that argument, then the A-League runs circles around us! Half these people think the Central Coast is part of Sydney, hopefully those who are calling the shots are a little more enlightened.

Admitting the Bears and the Reds has the beauty of finally sewing up those two remaning loose ends dangling after the war. We win the established Norths fanbase on the North Shore (as well as the Central Coast) back on our side, while also re-igniting (and growing) interest amongst our cousins west of the Nullabor, which had its' lifeline yanked free last time before it could bear fruit.

BunniesMan

Immortal
If the game wants to put out the last glowing embers from the Superleague war, once and for all, they will admit the Central Coast Bears and the W.A Reds. Here is why. The following teams were sacrificed because of the Superleague war, either directly or indirectly:

Gold Coast (Chargers)
Western Reds
Adelaide
Hunter Mariners
South Queensland
Souths
Wests
Balmain
Norths
Manly

Now, Hunter and Adelaide were both artificial teams created solely to add numbers to Superleague's season draw. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think there is even a single person on these forums who supported the Rams? As for the Mariners, I have yet to encounter a person from the Hunter who gave up on League because News Ltd. pulled the plug on them.

South Queensland could consider themselves a bit unlucky, but at the same time if a new Brisbane team wants to thrive, it should be an established QRL side, not a new creation with no previous history, if it wants to compete with the Broncos. Furthermore, if having another NRL side in Qld is such top priority, surely Ipswich or Central Qld is more important than cutting in on the Broncos territory (short-term anyway).

Balmain were looking to relocate long before Rupert Murdoch took an interest in our game, even back in the 80's they looked at relocating to the Central Coast or Melbourne. Returning to Leichardt in 1997 after the Sydney Tigers experiment was only a temporary thing. Old Balmain fans should at least feel lucky their team lives on in Sydney, instead of being an interstate side.

Wests were marked down for extinction long before Sewerleague, if people remember they got kicked out along with Newtown back in '83 but won their way back into the comp via the courts. They did little between 1984 and '99 but bring up the rear of the ladder and draw small crowds, save for finals appearances in 1991-92 and 1995-96.

Gold Coast are now back as the Titans and doing great, Manly are back and have won a Premiership since returning as a stand-alone team and Souths are back and a much more professional team than they were under the chook-raffle administration of the Piggins years.

Which leaves us with the Bears and Reds, two teams from either side of the split who were both dudded by the war. Were it not for Sewerleague, the Reds could have built a solid supporter base in W.A and even have a few talented local juniors in their NRL side. They were a team with a promising future who were sacrificed for a short-term deal. As for the Bears- well the people of the North Shore, and then the Central Coast, lost their team. All the shrill "We have too many teams in NSW!!!" brigade should remember that in the games' most successful season (1994), 13 of the 16 teams were from NSW. When it comes to expansion, I care most about what a potential bid can bring to the game. I couldn't give a f**k about how neat and evenly spread out it will look on a map of Australia, and anybody who isn't a complete moron doesn't give a f**k either. You want to use that argument, then the A-League runs circles around us! Half these people think the Central Coast is part of Sydney, hopefully those who are calling the shots are a little more enlightened.

Admitting the Bears and the Reds has the beauty of finally sewing up those two remaning loose ends dangling after the war. We win the established Norths fanbase on the North Shore (as well as the Central Coast) back on our side, while also re-igniting (and growing) interest amongst our cousins west of the Nullabor, which had its' lifeline yanked free last time before it could bear fruit.
BunniesMan doesn't like praising people that aren't BunniesMan. Having said that, this is a brilliant post. The paragraphs I've put in bold to emphasize says pretty much what is on my mind word for word. Therefore, it's really good.

Bro Bear

Juniors
Top post Knightmare.

Bears and Reds back in the NRL 2013 - bring in another two teams 2018 then have a two 10 team conference. Eventually 12 teams per conference - PNG/Pacific Islands or 2nd NZ team.

Brutus

Referee

The Broncos have had a monopoly for too long and the way they went about ensuring the demise of the Crushers back in the SL era was disgraceful. I really think the Broncos crowds wouldn't drop at all with a new Brisbane team. A new Brisbane team would mean top flight RL is played in Brisbane every week which would give the code a massive shot in the arm, further stifling AFL's in-your-face push.

Brutus

Referee
The more I'm hearing, the more the CC bid looks doomed.

Rightly or wrongly, CQ are right there in the mix now and Perth is a definite.

You would like to think the NRL/IC will tell the tireless Bears bid team ASAP. Stop stringing them along.

bobmar28

Bench
I would define expansion as venturing into areas that would bring positives to the game. The Bears bid certainly achieves that. How it can possibly be termed as contracting is beyond me... a league-strong area gaining a team can only be good for the game and it's people.

As for the "QLD is heartland" argument - no, Sydney is RL heartland. More people attend games in Sydney annually, more people watch games in Sydney annually. Queensland is actually in decline - both the Titans (expensive) and Cowboys (sh*thouse) are haemorraging crowd numbers. Brisbane remains strong - because they're in the city and prices at Suncorp aren't as expensive.

For the NRL to expand more teams outside NSW are needed. So imo to put an 11th team in NSW is contracting not expanding. QLD has only 3 teams and needs more. That's expansion.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench

That's a matter for them to address not Ipswich. And the reasons are obvious as you stated. High ticket prices and poor form.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Knightmare, you forgot Illawarra and to a lesser extent StGeorge. Both were forced into different circumstances due to $uper League

Goddo

Bench
The more I'm hearing, the more the CC bid looks doomed.

Rightly or wrongly, CQ are right there in the mix now and Perth is a definite.

You would like to think the NRL/IC will tell the tireless Bears bid team ASAP. Stop stringing them along.

Pretty much, except Central Queensland is full of Qatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts