What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I'm hearing, the more the CC bid looks doomed.

Rightly or wrongly, CQ are right there in the mix now and Perth is a definite.

You would like to think the NRL/IC will tell the tireless Bears bid team ASAP. Stop stringing them along.

Personally, I don't get it at all.

We're risking a fair sized Rugby League area by continually turning our noses up at the Bears. They won't patiently sit back and wait their turn forever. If they miss out again, I'd expect the crowds at Gosford to dwindle to A League numbers and that'll give the detractors more fuel for any future application.

Having said that, you're right. If they're not going to be given their shot, they should know immediately. But we'll hear plenty of "We're still going through the applications" and "All the applications are very impressive, it's a tough decision" bullsh*t before they'll be upfront about it.

BuffaloRules

Coach
The Ipswich Times has written off the Bears...

http://www.qt.com.au/story/2010/12/15/western-corridor-NRL-team-name-vote/

It is believed that in July next year, Gallop will officially announce whether the NRL will be granting licences to one or two new clubs for the 2013 season and what bids they will consider.
Perth is at present the favourite, over the Jets and Central Queensland.
Central Coast, which was once the clear favourite, is now just an outside chance after Sydney NRL club chief executives made it clear they would prefer a non-New South Wales region be chosen for expansion.

Dear lord... Rockin Ronny/Doctor Death will be getting the noose out again...

Yep we're doomed, looks like the millions of equity, the world class stadium, the 4500 members, the countless sponsors have to pack their bags and move to woop woop now. Too bad Ipswich for all it's "Internet praise" doesn't has actual real world fans....

adamkungl

Immortal
As soon as the Ipswich bid started to get serious things started to look bad for the Bears...I said it weeks ago, prepare for them to get dudded again because of this mythical 'QLD is Rugby League heartland' nonsense that gets thrown around.

Brutus

Referee
Really, I'd love to see it go back to a 20-team comp. With more TV money, an IC running the game we could really go forward with 20 teams. The spread of teams throughout Australasia would look fantastic.

1 Perth
2. 2nd Brisbane (Diehards)
3. CC Bears
4. 2nd NZ

Bring them in!!

And if any current NRL teams fall by the wayside then so be it.

BunniesMan

Immortal
For the NRL to expand more teams outside NSW are needed. So imo to put an 11th team in NSW is contracting not expanding. QLD has only 3 teams and needs more. That's expansion.
You and the other idiot who went on the same way have made one thing clear. You do not know what contracting or expanding means.
Knightmare, you forgot Illawarra and to a lesser extent StGeorge. Both were forced into different circumstances due to $uper League
And by different circumstances you mean Illawarra more or less dissapeared and the Dragons had a semi-relocation.

As for the Bears, why the hell do the Sydney teams have any say over whether the Bears get in. They're hardly unbiased.

Mike_Jets

Juniors
22 teams - means 10 home and 10 away with a neutral game at a long weekend of rugby where all teams play in same state.
Expand play-offs to top 11 teams and give top placed teams more chances to stay alive.

6 new teams - WQLD, CQLD, WA, CC, NZ2 and ???

Brutus

Referee
22 teams - means 10 home and 10 away with a neutral game at a long weekend of rugby where all teams play in same state.
Expand play-offs to top 11 teams and give top placed teams more chances to stay alive.

6 new teams - WQLD, CQLD, WA, CC, NZ2 and ???

Well if you're looking for a 6th then Adelaide is back in the mix.

SA Jets. :)

I'd have a top 10 finals system, like they did back in 98??

Bluebags1908

Juniors
If the game wants to put out the last glowing embers from the Superleague war, once and for all, they will admit the Central Coast Bears and the W.A Reds. Here is why. The following teams were sacrificed because of the Superleague war, either directly or indirectly:

Gold Coast (Chargers)
Western Reds
Adelaide
Hunter Mariners
South Queensland
Souths
Wests
Balmain
Norths
Manly

Now, Hunter and Adelaide were both artificial teams created solely to add numbers to Superleague's season draw. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think there is even a single person on these forums who supported the Rams? As for the Mariners, I have yet to encounter a person from the Hunter who gave up on League because News Ltd. pulled the plug on them.

South Queensland could consider themselves a bit unlucky, but at the same time if a new Brisbane team wants to thrive, it should be an established QRL side, not a new creation with no previous history, if it wants to compete with the Broncos. Furthermore, if having another NRL side in Qld is such top priority, surely Ipswich or Central Qld is more important than cutting in on the Broncos territory (short-term anyway).

Balmain were looking to relocate long before Rupert Murdoch took an interest in our game, even back in the 80's they looked at relocating to the Central Coast or Melbourne. Returning to Leichardt in 1997 after the Sydney Tigers experiment was only a temporary thing. Old Balmain fans should at least feel lucky their team lives on in Sydney, instead of being an interstate side.

Wests were marked down for extinction long before Sewerleague, if people remember they got kicked out along with Newtown back in '83 but won their way back into the comp via the courts. They did little between 1984 and '99 but bring up the rear of the ladder and draw small crowds, save for finals appearances in 1991-92 and 1995-96.

Gold Coast are now back as the Titans and doing great, Manly are back and have won a Premiership since returning as a stand-alone team and Souths are back and a much more professional team than they were under the chook-raffle administration of the Piggins years.

Which leaves us with the Bears and Reds, two teams from either side of the split who were both dudded by the war. Were it not for Sewerleague, the Reds could have built a solid supporter base in W.A and even have a few talented local juniors in their NRL side. They were a team with a promising future who were sacrificed for a short-term deal. As for the Bears- well the people of the North Shore, and then the Central Coast, lost their team. All the shrill "We have too many teams in NSW!!!" brigade should remember that in the games' most successful season (1994), 13 of the 16 teams were from NSW. When it comes to expansion, I care most about what a potential bid can bring to the game. I couldn't give a f**k about how neat and evenly spread out it will look on a map of Australia, and anybody who isn't a complete moron doesn't give a f**k either. You want to use that argument, then the A-League runs circles around us! Half these people think the Central Coast is part of Sydney, hopefully those who are calling the shots are a little more enlightened.

Admitting the Bears and the Reds has the beauty of finally sewing up those two remaning loose ends dangling after the war. We win the established Norths fanbase on the North Shore (as well as the Central Coast) back on our side, while also re-igniting (and growing) interest amongst our cousins west of the Nullabor, which had its' lifeline yanked free last time before it could bear fruit.

One of the best posts I have ever read. Spot-on.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
To posters like bobmar and other anti-NSW types, instead of complaining that “oh we have 10 teams in NSW already why have 11”, why don’t you view the situation in reverse?

Can you imagine if the NRL was battling for relevance in Victoria by blowing millions on establishing a 2nd Victorian side… and at the same time the AFL comes out with a powerful statement by admitting a 10th Victorian team in a region cryong out for a team representing 1 million people covering the most affluent part of Melbourne and the admitting regional urban sprawl and growth area nearby? And reviving an old foundation club’s name and colours to boot?

In other words – whilst the NRL is busting its arse to add a 2nd Victorian team, the AFL is making a statement saying ‘up yours, we’re not even finished in Victoria yet’. Can you imagine the pro-AFL types ranting and raving giving this a positive slant and the anti-NRL types pouring negativity on their 2nd Victorian team?

The NRL still expanding effortlessly further reinforcing into its heartlands (where most of the population of Australia lives) by adding a Central Coast team - coupled with a 2nd Brisbane team and/or 4th Queensland team - would be a scary and sobering thought for the AFL who is desperate for relevance in the financially lucrative area of Australia’s east coast. The NRL will be more than matching the AFL in most key indicators, and haven’t even finished expanding to the rest of the country!!! (WA, SA, etc). Whilst the AFL is forcing 2 teams in non-heartland areas because it has nowhere else to go! (except maybe Tasmania).

Having said all that, that’s not to say I am not in favour of the WA Reds bid either. I think the WA Reds and Central Coast Bears should be the next 2 teams in. I am only pointing out that there are pros and cons in expanding in traditional heartland or new horizons.
I am totally behind the WA Reds bid, but “fishing where the fish are” at the same time when your main competitor is battling to establish itself where you are already dominant and yet still expanding is a scary powerful message. The ultimate “up yours”.

Red Bear

Referee
Bears tick every box, every single box, to be a long term viable entity. They built the stadium, they have ground support from the CC to the upper and lower North Shore. They are ready to go. This ipswich Qld bid has nothing concrete whatsoever.

Bears and Reds please.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Evidence that the journo wrote an article which lacks any credibility. On the phone he even said "oh but my boss told me to run with it...". Atleast get fans to write up biased stories about their respective bids like reds, bears or central qld have done.

It’s no worse than anything published by the North Sydney/CC or Rocky papers in the last year or so mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.