What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

BunniesMan

Immortal
The NRL would be foolish to knockback a team that has got a sponsor willing to put $10 million on the line for them. Rumours and speculation aside, I just can't see the Bears not getting in for 2013.

adamkungl

Immortal
I will be pretty shocked at very disappointed if we don't see Bears and Reds for 2013. This goes all the way back to Super League. Neither should have been booted. If we expand with 2 teams, Ipswich Blowins can wait.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I also find it funny that people think the Bears are no hopers now just because some clubs said they don't want them back. You realise they have no say in it?

adamkungl

Immortal
I also find it funny that people think the Bears are no hopers now just because some clubs said they don't want them back. You realise they have no say in it?

Don't underestimate ridiculous QLD propaganda....they've managed to paint themselves as the ultimate Rugby League heartland and will use it in their favour.

Talons

Juniors
fsfsfsx.jpg

An inspiring article. Would it be to much trouble to supply me with the link as I'm a little unsure as to when it was written....cheers

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Unsure when it was written? The "just broken through 4,500" line tells me it was written sometime in the last 7 days or so.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bet Parra are spewing, shows poor management that a major business based in their area wanting to back RL has moved to somewhere else to spend $10mill.

BDGS

Bench
I will be pretty shocked at very disappointed if we don't see Bears and Reds for 2013. This goes all the way back to Super League. Neither should have been booted. If we expand with 2 teams, Ipswich Blowins can wait.

The NRL would be foolish to knockback a team that has got a sponsor willing to put $10 million on the line for them. Rumours and speculation aside, I just can't see the Bears not getting in for 2013.

Good post, agree with both.

The next Central Coast Bears membership drives are on today @

BEST & LESS LAKE HAVEN
WHEN: Thursday 16th December, 9:30am-3pm

BEST & LESS ERINA FAIR
WHEN: Thursday 16th December, 5pm-8pm
PRIZE: Win an XBOX 360

bobmar28

Bench
Personally, I don't get it at all.

We're risking a fair sized Rugby League area by continually turning our noses up at the Bears. They won't patiently sit back and wait their turn forever. If they miss out again, I'd expect the crowds at Gosford to dwindle to A League numbers and that'll give the detractors more fuel for any future application.

Having said that, you're right. If they're not going to be given their shot, they should know immediately. But we'll hear plenty of "We're still going through the applications" and "All the applications are very impressive, it's a tough decision" bullsh*t before they'll be upfront about it.

The NRL commission don't have to come up with a decision now. The Reds are a certainty and if the Jets can put a decent bid together they will get the other franchise. If not the Bears will get it.

bobmar28

Bench
Yep we're doomed, looks like the millions of equity, the world class stadium, the 4500 members, the countless sponsors have to pack their bags and move to woop woop now. Too bad Ipswich for all it's "Internet praise" doesn't has actual real world fans....

You don't have to go anywhere. Just wait for a Sydney team to merge/fall over.

bobmar28

Bench
To posters like bobmar and other anti-NSW types, instead of complaining that “oh we have 10 teams in NSW already why have 11”, why don’t you view the situation in reverse?

Can you imagine if the NRL was battling for relevance in Victoria by blowing millions on establishing a 2nd Victorian side… and at the same time the AFL comes out with a powerful statement by admitting a 10th Victorian team in a region cryong out for a team representing 1 million people covering the most affluent part of Melbourne and the admitting regional urban sprawl and growth area nearby? And reviving an old foundation club’s name and colours to boot?

In other words – whilst the NRL is busting its arse to add a 2nd Victorian team, the AFL is making a statement saying ‘up yours, we’re not even finished in Victoria yet’. Can you imagine the pro-AFL types ranting and raving giving this a positive slant and the anti-NRL types pouring negativity on their 2nd Victorian team?

The NRL still expanding effortlessly further reinforcing into its heartlands (where most of the population of Australia lives) by adding a Central Coast team - coupled with a 2nd Brisbane team and/or 4th Queensland team - would be a scary and sobering thought for the AFL who is desperate for relevance in the financially lucrative area of Australia’s east coast. The NRL will be more than matching the AFL in most key indicators, and haven’t even finished expanding to the rest of the country!!! (WA, SA, etc). Whilst the AFL is forcing 2 teams in non-heartland areas because it has nowhere else to go! (except maybe Tasmania).

Having said all that, that’s not to say I am not in favour of the WA Reds bid either. I think the WA Reds and Central Coast Bears should be the next 2 teams in. I am only pointing out that there are pros and cons in expanding in traditional heartland or new horizons.
I am totally behind the WA Reds bid, but “fishing where the fish are” at the same time when your main competitor is battling to establish itself where you are already dominant and yet still expanding is a scary powerful message. The ultimate “up yours”.

The NRL would have to be crazy to add a 2nd team in Melbourne and the AFL would be crazy to do so also. They already have 9 teams there when they really only need 4.

As far as fishing where the fish are, I agree. That's why there has to be another team in QLD as soon as possible.

bobmar28

Bench
Oh please that's just dumb logic. The Bears are letting it "all hang out" because they have something to hang out. The other bids, other than Perth, have sh*t all. That's why they're not "revealing every detail". Anti Sydney and anti NSW people should just accept the Bears are coming back.

I'm not anti Sydney or anti anything. I am pro NRL. That's NATIONAL rugby league.

bobmar28

Bench
Did you miss the bit where "dots on a map" doesn't necessarily mean expanding? A-League's venture into both Gold Coast and North Queensland are prime examples of unsuccessful expansion simply to make a competition look like it has a national coverage.

Regardless of your thoughts on how close existing teams are (I count five within 100km, but whatever), none of those teams are currently making a fulltime effort to capture the hearts or minds of the Central Coast public. There are no "fisherman" there, but just the odd passer-by who wants to cash in on the odd game here or there with no real interest in the grassroots.

That's where the Bears come in - already with close to 5,000 members (about 4,500 at last count from memory)... to fill that void for a public that already loves rugby league and twice been cheated from having it's own team.

The NRL commission should go for "dots on the map" if any of those "dots" can come up with a viable bid.

joshreading

Staff member
I think the Bears have certainly done enough to get in. They will be arguably stronger than a number of teams presently in the NRL however the catch is two fold. TV rights increase (compared to potential increase with other bids) and other NSW Clubs (esp Newcastle) feeling the pinch.

I think the bids that are emerging are all quality (or necessary in WA's case) all hope in time all get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.