What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Championship and League 1 2018

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
Some of the results over the weekend intrigued me, Sheffield beat Barrow, York beat Barrow, Coventry beat Keighley and Wests Wales lost by only 38 points.........

thorson1987

Coach
So Leigh have failed to make the qualifiers to get back into SL, yet according to some on twitter it's the RFLs fault.

Club Statement.

https://leighrl.co.uk/wp/blog/2018/07/25/leigh-centurions-club-statement-2/

Leigh Centurions owner Derek Beaumont has issued the following statement:

It was with a heavy heart and tear in my eye that the realisation sunk in that we would not make the Qualifiers. I have said publicly on numerous occasions and privately to the group that my position as owner of the Club would become untenable should that happen.

The Club will receive circa £200k in 2019 from £1.25m this year and circa £1.7m in 2017 and that is a drop too far to sustain the Club in its current form. To that end I must act in the best interests of the Club’s ability to survive going forward and in the short term to fulfil this season’s fixtures and also to reduce its commitments to make it more attractive to any party that may express an interest in taking it forward.

This week is deadline week and therefore an ideal opportunity for players to be able to secure their futures elsewhere and at the same time reduce the Club’s obligations. I can confirm there will be a large number of exits and that may bring some opportunities for others but that will be ongoing this week right up until deadline.

I am committed to ensuring the Club reaches the end of the season and hope during that time a new investor or group of investors can be attracted to take the Club forward. I will be making a more detailed statement at the beginning of next week and until then will not be in a position to comment further. I apologise to our loyal fans and sponsors for this failing which ultimately has to rest with me.

Pommy

Coach
In the last off season it seemed Leigh weren’t adjusting tot heir relegation at all, that was despite knowing full well Toronto were more than likely going to be the team in a position to go up this season. I guess this is the price they are paying for doing so.

roughyedspud

Coach
f**k em...

£1.25m they've had off the RFL this season ..the likes of Rochdale & swinton have had less than £200,000..so f**k em..

Maybe koukash & dellboy can join forces to f**k up another great club somewhere...tinpot dickheads the pair of em'

jim_57

Staff member
Toulouse 44 - 18 Dewsbury
Toronto 12 - 30 Featherstone

Toulouse have cemented their place in the middle 8's and Featherstone have kept themselves alive but still need London or Halifax to lose.

Barrow V London (London win or draw secures them in top 4, win by 44+ and they overtake Toulouse for 2nd place and 4 home games in the 8's)

Halifax V Rochdale (Halifax win secures top 4.)

Leigh V Sheffield (Leigh win by 82+ puts them in the top 4 if Halifax or London lose).

So Leigh are gone for all money, and it would take a major upset from Barrow or Rochdale for Featherstone to sneak in.

Burns

First Grade
Toulouse, London and Toronto in the Qualifiers? Beautiful.

Think Widnes would be the most likely to be the Super League team to fumble out, maybe Salford in the Million Pound Game?

looks like Belgrade is in.

https://www.ffr13.fr/actualite-a-la-une/belgrade-se-rapproche-de-la-league-one/

Away trips to Belgrade Teams from Wales, France and Canada have made their way up the league structure having started in League One and now a team from Serbia wants to do the same. Red Star Belgrade, founding members of the Balkan Super League, have enquired about entry to League One according to a report in this month’s Forty-20 magazine. They are bankrolled by Australian entrepreneur Colin Kleyweg.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/pos...ap-hastings-future-belgrade-could-join-league

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I've read a suggestion that having a french league one/championship team has been very beneficial for up and coming players as they get the benefit of plying their trade at a higher level than Elite, but more time on the field than if they snuck into a SL team.

As such, if Toulouse do make it to SL (COME ON BABY!), it may be desirable to get another team into League One, be it an existing team or a fusion.

It's fascinating the way this is working out, and it would be a real but not surprising shame if the RFL panic and pull-up the drawbridge.

jim_57

Staff member
I've read a suggestion that having a french league one/championship team has been very beneficial for up and coming players as they get the benefit of plying their trade at a higher level than Elite, but more time on the field than if they snuck into a SL team.

As such, if Toulouse do make it to SL (COME ON BABY!), it may be desirable to get another team into League One, be it an existing team or a fusion.

It's fascinating the way this is working out, and it would be a real but not surprising shame if the RFL panic and pull-up the drawbridge.

Avignon with their potential and as champions would make the most sense. There have been a few Express their interest now (or rumored to be interested); Avignon, Villeneuve, Albi, Carcassone/Aude. Good luck to any club wanting to reach a higher level.

I'd prefer to see Elite 1 become part of the pyramid on a level with League 1 with promotion possible to Championship from both leagues but that is another argument.

Walter sobchak

First Grade

The careers of Promising French kids from the u16’s and u18/19’s who compete well and often beat their English counterparts go stall or even go backwards when they play in elite1. More so in elite2. These kids who don’t make the starting 17 at both Catalan and Toulouse need to move to English championship sides to continue their development and even get noticed by super league clubs.

Latest posts