What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 7 to broadcast RL World Cup

King Ben

Juniors
Just announced, couldn't see another thread in here.

The Seven Network is the home of Rugby League World Cup 2013.

Seven has secured exclusive broadcast rights to the 2013 Rugby League World Cup following an agreement with IMG Media.

Seven will broadcast all RLWC2013 matches - which runs from October 26th- November 30th - live on 7mate as part of an all-encompassing agreement covering broadcast and subscription television rights, IPTV, interconnected TV, catch-up TV, HbbTV, pay per view, video on demand and digital rights, including online and mobile.

RLWC2013 - which is organised by the Rugby League International Federation - will be the fourteenth staging of the Rugby League World Cup tournament and will be hosted by England and Wales with matches also to be held in France and Ireland.

Fourteen teams will contest the tournament: Australia, England, New Zealand, Samoa, Wales, Fiji, France, Papua New Guinea, Ireland, Scotland, Tonga, Cook Islands, Italy and the United States. New Zealand is the defending champion, having defeated Australia in the 2008 Rugby League World Cup final. It is Italy and the United States' first Rugby League World Cup.

Today’s agreement adds further depth to Seven’s leadership in sports television.
“Seven is delighted to have secured this agreement that will see us as the home of rugby league and the Rugby League World Cup 2013 across October and November," Tim Worner, CEO of Seven West Media, said.

“It is an extraordinary event and fits perfectly with our portfolio of major sports event that we can drive across our broadcast television platform and our emerging and developing online and mobile content platforms. A key to this agreement is our ability to deliver this amazing event across multiple platforms in formats that meet the demands of our audiences. This approach is a cornerstone for our future development as a broad-based audience company.

“Live events define our business and we are delighted that rugby league will be on Seven’s broadcast platform. We are investing in and building our three channels and 7mate is key to our development, in particular its increasing presence in live sports television and extending its leadership in key male demographics.

“It is also fitting that we are entrusted with the Rugby League World Cup 2013 – it is 50 years this year since the late, great Rex Mossop joined Seven after an extraordinary playing career in league and union, and through his commentary and passion, defined league television coverage in Australia.”

“It is great news for the tournament that Seven will be showing every game and on so many platforms. Sports fans in Australia know they can rely on Seven’s experience of covering not just domestic and international Rugby League but other world class sporting events too," Nigel Wood, RLWC2013 Tournament Director, said.

“We know we’ll be staging the best Rugby League World Cup to date, with competitive matches in front of passionate fans. The tournament now has a compelling broadcast offer in both hemispheres.”
http://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/news/article/-/17714580/seven-secures-rugby-league-world-cup-2013/

Dogs Of War

Coach
Be great to see the game presented differently. Especially that they are broadcasting all the games, not just Australian ones as channel 9 would have done.

Brutus

Referee
They'll take Pommy commentary and have Aussie experts in the studio.

I'll bet they get Jim Wilson to host the coverage (give me a chuck bucket please)

Great that idiots like Gus and Rabs will be nowhere near the coverage.

Bring back Jon Harker, Graeme Hughes and Patty Welsh!

Last edited:

ag6858

Juniors
Really happy with this decision. Channel Nine were absolutely pathetic with their coverage of the 2008 world cup, and this is a massive improvement. Great to see the World Cup finally getting some respect.

user_nat

Coach
Look forward to seeing how they cover it.

Probably pretty similar to 9. With UK commentary and even 9 probably would have shown it in HD on Gem (due to broadcast times).

Last edited:

LESStar58

Referee
I've heard its Graeme Hughes, John Gibbs and Webcke in the commentary team.

Hope its all pool games. Not chuffed about it being anywhere near 7 who hate rugby league.

To play the devil's advocate, I can't see 7 hyping this or pumping much resources into it. I also can't imagine that they paid much for it. Why? Look at the AEST broadcast times. End of story.

Glad to have every game on FTA, on a personal front, though.

I've heard its Graeme Hughes, John Gibbs and Webcke in the commentary team.

Hope its all pool games. Not chuffed about it being anywhere near 7 who hate rugby league.

They only hate rugby league because they dont broadcast it.

If nine was as passionate an advocate for the NRL as seven is for the AFL we'd be a lot better off.

Patorick

Staff member
They'll take Pommy commentary and have Aussie experts in the studio.

I'll bet they get Jim Wilson to host the coverage (give me a chuck bucket please)

Great that idiots like Gus and Rabs will be nowhere near the coverage.

Bring back Jon Harker, Graeme Hughes and Patty Welsh!
:crazy:

Latest posts