What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 7 to broadcast RL World Cup

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The VFL commentators won't call the game Angry.

The Rugby Union blokes who haven't called a game in a few years will instead.

W.Smith

Juniors
Xcellent stuiff this is and just at the time i get in from work :cool:

Shaft theme is a must as someone mentioned but keep Harker away from it, worst caller ever imo, hoping Vossy and Heaps get the commentary start if Seven send a team over and id luv to see Mascord, Gibbsy and Webcke gibberin' on it too

how arrogant of Gyngel to say what he did :lol:

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I don't buy Gyngell's line that there is no money to be made.

Remember he is part of the mob that was running the network into the ground. Would you trust his business judgement?

undertaker

Coach
f**k. 8pm in the UK means a lot of 5am starts for me. Jeezus!

Doesn't matter mate. Most of the games - compared to the 2000 tournament - are day matches, meaning most kickoffs over there in China will be at the more convenient time of approx 9pm-11pm:) (same can be said for Western Australia, which is in the same timezone).

undertaker

Coach
Good on whoever wrote this comment

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...orld-cup-comp-in-entirety-20130623-2oqs9.html

Best news for International Rugby League in a long time. No longer associated with a single self serving entity.
Channel Nine has zero vision for the game outside of its immediate profits. Zero. This is of course now even more understandable after being taken over by a hedge fund. There is an important distinction between throwing money at the game for the rights and actually investing in its future. Nines bloody mindedness is the very reason we do not have stand alone fixtures for rep games resulting in subpar club matches and no mid season test series..(as in more than a one off token event where the opposition team is slung together three days beforehand)
Well done to International Rugby League for having the vision to leave Channel Nines table. Lets hope that the Seven network do a great job of covering its only Rugby League fixture and promotes the arse out of the tournament and (something lost on Nine) the game at large.

eozsmiles

Bench
]I hope Smith has been on the phone to Gyngell this morning and reminded his shit arse tv channel is supposed to promote RL in general[/B], not kick it at any cost.

If expansion goes ahead before the end of this tv deal and 7 do a good job with commentary, it'd be nice if they get a game a week out of it

No they aren't. The NRL (and the other bodies) promote the game, Nine fund it. Nine promote their programming. You could argue it is in Nine's interests to promote the game even when it is on other networks. But the NRL get given a billion dollars to promote themselves.

If Smith told Gyngell that he was responsible for promoting the game, Gyngell would probably say something like..... "Is it my job to tie your shoelaces too? If you want to promote the game then f*** off and see if you can get the prime talent off the p**s and out of the cop shops because that's a major problem and it is at your end. Every time you or a club suspend a player the quality of the product that I pay for drops. And you're here telling me that my business assessment of the WC is a bad look? Why don't you schedule all your games at 6am when half the Australian squad are probably having off season surgery and see how you go. You can't even get wrestling out of the game or find a decent referee and you want a crack at me? I suppose it's my job to stop the fans spitting on players and throwing bottles too? I'm paying a billion dollars for you to get your s**t right and you want to have a b***h at me about a single quote that was actually correct? The WC rights just went to AFL crazy channel 7 and you are worried about what I say about RL? Good luck keeping up with them. It's not my job to promote your business but it is your business to provide me with a good product. I think you can do a better job. Get f***ed."

Then they'd both go on their merry ways.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Well interesting Ch 7 has got the rights to this. Im looking forward to it. Although there is no mention of Fox Sports showing matches, as it was asked earlier, but we'll probably find out later on.

Sucked in Ch 9.

Id say they'll just use UK commentators and have Ch 7 guys in the studio. Wouldn't surprise me if Ryan Phelan got a gig.

1993 I think was the last time Ch 7 showed the RL test matches, which was the Trans Tasman series. You had Pat Welsh, John Harker and King Wally.

undertaker

Coach
Well interesting Ch 7 has got the rights to this. Im looking forward to it. Although there is no mention of Fox Sports showing matches, as it was asked earlier, but we'll probably find out later on.

Sucked in Ch 9.

This answers the part in bold:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...orld-cup-comp-in-entirety-20130623-2oqs9.html

It is understood Fox Sports were interested only in Australia's matches against England, Fiji and Ireland, the quarter-final, the Wembley semi-final and the final. Nine chief executive David Gyngell said: ''We weren't interested because the time period they come in on means there is no money to be made.''

The use of past tense means that they missed out, and good to see they didn't bid given they would've only showed the matches Ch9 would've wanted to show (although I have doubts Ch9 would've even showed the Australia/Ireland and Australia/Fiji matches).

1993 I think was the last time Ch 7 showed the RL test matches, which was the Trans Tasman series. You had Pat Welsh, John Harker and King Wally.

Correct

Perth Red

Post Whore
What other programming on a digital channel at 5-8am is going to get the viewing the WC will, even if it is recorded and watched later in the day?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
It is understood Fox Sports were interested only in Australia's matches against England, Fiji and Ireland, the quarter-final, the Wembley semi-final and the final.

Why is it the TV networks keep saying no one is interested in International footy, whenever it's played and shown, it rates excellent.

Yet they will show Union with 3 men and a dog from somewhere, an aFL (some state or national comp under fumbles and feebles main game) match, they'll put on all the soccer and american football, basketball + internationals, baseball internationals, badminton internationals, international fishing, yet they say Rugby League fans Don't want to watch International Rugby League?

How have they come to this conclusion when we've never had the chance really to watch any international Rugby League in Australia outside of the 2008 RLWC which was promoted half as much as the NRL got promoted at the beginning of each season during the Gallop years? (2 weeks of "that's my team?" wasn't it each new season?)

How would they know what we want to watch if they've never been bothered to actually show anything outside a slapped up game between Tonga and Samoa this year with no promotion whatsoever, only reason I knew it was on was because of places like LU.

If they mean other Internationals, well don't the Kangaroos usually outrate the Wallabies and everything else each year outside a once in a while world cup in other sports? Yet the Kangaroos don't get wall to wall coverage either and it still rates, so how can they come to this conclusion it doesn't rate when the games they have bothered showing, rate quite well?

Springs

First Grade
I don't understand that line from Fox Sports. What else would they have to show around then? Sports from the other side of the world? You would think that they would show Australian sports first and foremost. They should at least show replays.

juro

Bench
I'm hoping this will be like when Nine passed up broadcasting the 2005 Ashes because they thought nobody cared about it anymore. Was that David Gyngell's idea too?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Well it was disappointing a couple of years when the Australia Vs Wales match wasnt even live. I think it was replayed on Fox at 7am, and Ch 9 didnt want to know about it.

Glad they show these matches live regardless who we're playing.

undertaker

Coach
Why is it the TV networks keep saying no one is interested in International footy, whenever it's played and shown, it rates excellent.

Yet they will show Union with 3 men and a dog from somewhere, an aFL (some state or national comp under fumbles and feebles main game) match, they'll put on all the soccer and american football, basketball + internationals, baseball internationals, badminton internationals, international fishing, yet they say Rugby League fans Don't want to watch International Rugby League?

How have they come to this conclusion when we've never had the chance really to watch any international Rugby League in Australia outside of the 2008 RLWC which was promoted half as much as the NRL got promoted at the beginning of each season during the Gallop years? (2 weeks of "that's my team?" wasn't it each new season?)

How would they know what we want to watch if they've never been bothered to actually show anything outside a slapped up game between Tonga and Samoa this year with no promotion whatsoever, only reason I knew it was on was because of places like LU.

If they mean other Internationals, well don't the Kangaroos usually outrate the Wallabies and everything else each year outside a once in a while world cup in other sports? Yet the Kangaroos don't get wall to wall coverage either and it still rates, so how can they come to this conclusion it doesn't rate when the games they have bothered showing, rate quite well?

This. Very well said mate

You watch when the 2015 Rugby Union World Cup comes around, which is also held in the UK and hence will have matches shown in the same timeslots as this year's League World Cup. I'll bet you all money that Fox Sports, like the last two RUWCs, will show every game live including the 70/80/90/100+ pt thrashings against the minnow sides. You tell me that's going to rate it's tits off as well?

EDIT: Here's a must-read article I found regarding Ch9's ratings of the 1992 RLWC final. It even outrated the Wallabies triumph the year before (also in the UK). But no, I bet Gyngell has either not read this article or still wants to plead ignorance that international rugby league doesn't rate:

http://newsstore.fairfax.com.au/apps/viewDocument.ac?page=1&sy=smh&docID=news921027_0088_9090

Last edited:

Latest posts