What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 7 to broadcast RL World Cup

Brutus

Referee
I've heard its Graeme Hughes, John Gibbs and Webcke in the commentary team.

Hope its all pool games. Not chuffed about it being anywhere near 7 who hate rugby league.

I really hope you're right.

I'd love to see Mascord get a go on the sideline. The guy knows and cares about international footy.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I hope they are going to show every game, not just the kangaroo games.

Will be interesting to see how they treat it.

Once Dead

Bench
I've heard its Graeme Hughes, John Gibbs and Webcke in the commentary team.

Hope its all pool games. Not chuffed about it being anywhere near 7 who hate rugby league.

I see more positivity coming out of 7 than 9 regarding coverage of RL. Just look at the approach with the live cross before Friday night games.

No tired old faces and a genuine fresh approach will be great for this year's RLWC. Is Hindmarsh still on the books at 7?

Once Dead

Bench
I hope that this is an opportunity for Channel 7 to one up Channel 9 with quality football-focused insight.

El Diablo

Post Whore
I see more positivity coming out of 7 than 9 regarding coverage of RL. Just look at the approach with the live cross before Friday night games.

No tired old faces and a genuine fresh approach will be great for this year's RLWC. Is Hindmarsh still on the books at 7?

7 are far more positive

Hindmarsh is off 7 and now they use Daley

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Rugby League on channel 7. That's gonna be a weird feeling man.

I might just be clutching for the tin foil here, but this could be a calculated move by 7. Maybe they want to drum up publicity for their coverage of League in the event that 9 either can't afford to pay the NRL anymore or go under completely, as they were close to doing so earlier in the year.

HD broadcast and live. That's all they need to do to win over the faithful.

Good.

How about all those AFL OPSM ads during the Footy Show / The Roast and the Souths-Para telecasts? Nice work from the 'home' of RL. Which, really, they Ch 9 can't say anymore. LOL.

GongPanther

Referee
Rugby League on channel 7. That's gonna be a weird feeling man.

I might just be clutching for the tin foil here, but this could be a calculated move by 7. Maybe they want to drum up publicity for their coverage of League in the event that 9 either can't afford to pay the NRL anymore or go under completely, as they were close to doing so earlier in the year.

HD broadcast and live. That's all they need to do to win over the faithful.

And maybe they can bring back the theme from "Shaft" as in Rex's days when 7 called the game on the Sunday.

Big Sam

First Grade
A lot of the games are on at 8pm UK Time which is 7am here the next morning. You might actually get some decent ratings for that time of day as people tune in for a bit before work.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...orld-cup-comp-in-entirety-20130623-2oqs9.html

Seven to show World Cup comp in entirety

Date
June 24, 2013

Brad Walter
Chief Rugby League Writer

Every match at this year's Rugby League World Cup will be shown live on free-to-air television under a deal with the Seven Network.

In a move that will have a network other than Nine broadcast league for the first time in more than 20 years, the Rugby League International Federation has awarded the rights for the 14-nation tournament to Seven.

It is the first time the World Cup rights have been sold separately to the premiership, State of Origin and Test matches. Seven chief executive Tim Worner said the network had also secured the online and mobile rights.

Worner said the tournament would be broadcast on 7mate.

''It is an extraordinary event and fits perfectly with our portfolio of major sports events that we can drive across our broadcast television platform and our emerging and developing online and mobile content platforms,'' Worner said.

''Live events define our business and we are delighted that rugby league will be on Seven's broadcast platform. It is also fitting that we are entrusted with the Rugby League World Cup 2013 - it is 50 years this year since the late, great Rex Mossop joined Seven after an extraordinary playing career in league and union, and through his commentary and passion, defined league television coverage in Australia.''

Seven's league coverage is headed by Pat Molihan, and the network also employs NSW coach Laurie Daley and Maroons greats Shane Webcke and Trevor Gillmeister.

''It is great news for the tournament that Seven will be showing every game and on so many platforms,'' tournament director Nigel Wood said.

The tournament will feature more than 100 NRL players representing Australia, world champions New Zealand and a variety of other nations, including Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Italy and England. It is understood Fox Sports were interested only in Australia's matches against England, Fiji and Ireland, the quarter-final, the Wembley semi-final and the final. Nine chief executive David Gyngell said: ''We weren't interested because the time period they come in on means there is no money to be made.''

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
There was absolutely no money to be made in these rights, so all game live on free to air on a decent channel is just fcking brilliant.
I didnt see this coming, so well done to whoever made this deal.

captainwarrior

Juniors
Now all we need is a good commentary team. Wouldn't mind having Vossy, Hughes and Andrew Moore as lead commentators, and Roach, Hindy and Daley as guest commentators. Would be good to have Bob Fulton and Sterlo in there somewhere too, but unfortunately the chances of seeing Sterlo calling for 7 is near impossible.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Sucked in Nein you absolute oxygen thieves! That quote from Gyngell is disgusting. But I guess we all knew "the home of rugby leagues" shallow motive anyway. Good job 7, hope they nail the broadcast!

Diesel

Referee
I hope Smith has been on the phone to Gyngell this morning and reminded his shit arse tv channel is supposed to promote RL in general, not kick it at any cost.

If expansion goes ahead before the end of this tv deal and 7 do a good job with commentary, it'd be nice if they get a game a week out of it

Latest posts