What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 doing more for AFL than NRL

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/...es-under-attack/2007/02/08/1170524234311.html

McGuire said The Footy Show on Thursday nights, the Sunday Footy Show and a new AFL-focused show on Monday nights would be shown in 2007.

Seems Eddie's cost cutting doesn't include AFL despite not having the rights.

This has to some kind of sick joke. Gallop should be having words with 9 and ask why they are promoting a sport shown on rival networks and doing sweet FA for the only big sport they have the rights to.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
While it's no excuse - read the paragraph before:

The Age said:
Channel Nine, meanwhile, will attempt to maintain its AFL profile despite losing the broadcast rights. Chief executive Eddie McGuire scorned the new deal. "Those people in Perth and Adelaide who complained about Nine's coverage (under the old deal), you can ask them what they're looking at now," he said.

I can't see all three shows being broadcast into Sydney/Brisbane.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Timmah said:
I can't see all three shows being broadcast into Sydney/Brisbane.

that's not the point

9 are doing nothing for the NRL in NSW and QLD yet are promoting AFL in other states by introducing new shows when 7 and 10 have the rights.

While I fear the long term relationship with the NRL is being mishandled by Nine (who no doubt have future AFL rights in mind for the future under Eddie esq), this article really is a storm in a teacup in relation to the NRL.

But related to the concerns..

Anyone noticed how Channels 7 & 10 are going apesh1t with AFL promotion atm in Sydney? Sports tonight headlines some AFL story first every night, League getting a bite some 5-6 stories in. The War has well and truly started. And just like World War two - the darkside have all the initiative, have caught the Allies unaware and well & truly have the upper hand early on.

Channel 9 is asleep at the wheel. Coincidence that Eddie is running the show??? - you decide.

bulldog

Bench
A lot of people were claiming when the new 9 CEO was announced that AwFuL Eddie would get behind the NRL and Rugby League in general, the rest of us knew this was coming, no surprises he's still AwFuL through and through and that the NRL doesn't have the balls to squeeze any concessions out of anyone these days.

Ice777

Bench
Besides a final, i can't remember the last time (if at all) a Storm game being shown live prime time against the gate down here in Melbourne like it will be when we play the Tigers in round one. I know alot of you will say big deal blah blah blah but to us in Melbourne and to Rugby league in Melbourne it is a big deal.

One things for certain is if nine still had the AFL rights, you can bet your arse it wouldn't have been showing the Storm game live, hell we would've been happy to have it on down here before midnight so i can only take this as a positive.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Pathetic.

No wonder I put PTV back on last week.

But, even now with PTV, you put it on Fox news or sky news, it's all bloody AFL :roll:

Sky news gives me the shytes, most of it has come from ch7, and we all know what ch7 think of RL.

WTF was Packer thinking?

If he loved RL as much as he said he did, he'd have never put eddie frigging everywhere incharge.

Gibbo

Juniors
Bring back John Fifita said:
While I fear the long term relationship with the NRL is being mishandled by Nine (who no doubt have future AFL rights in mind for the future under Eddie esq), this article really is a storm in a teacup in relation to the NRL.

Anyone noticed how Channels 7 & 10 are going apesh1t with AFL promotion atm in Sydney? Sports tonight headlines some AFL story first every night, League getting a bite some 5-6 stories in. The War has well and truly started. And just like World War two - the darkside have all the initiative, have caught the Allies unaware and well & truly have the upper hand early on.

Channel 9 is asleep at the wheel. Coincidence that Eddie is running the show??? - you decide.

how come there is zero advertising down here in melbourne for the storm?

no one in melbourne would be able to tell you when the NRL season kicksoff

Gibbo said:
You should see it on the Gold Coast. Every second bus stop from Coolangatta to Coomera has a Kangarros (AFL) poster on it, as well as Kangaroos ads on tv, billboards etc

They (The AFL) are pretty desperate to find a home for those pariahs. Expect more of the same until a couple of years from now when they finally realise no one wants to see the Kangaroos on the Gold Coast and they send them up to Townsville to annoy them.

Collingwood Storm said:
how come there is zero advertising down here in melbourne for the storm?

no one in melbourne would be able to tell you when the NRL season kicksoff

No one in Sydney could tell you when the AFL kicks off.

Everlovin' Antichrist said:
They (The AFL) are pretty desperate to find a home for those pariahs. Expect more of the same until a couple of years from now when they finally realise no one wants to see the Kangaroos on the Gold Coast and they send them up to Townsville to annoy them.

i agree, i doubt the kangaroos will have success in the gold coast....but you can't fault the AFL for doing its best in trying to spread AFL right throughout the country, the same unfortunately cant be said for the NRL

Collingwood Storm said:
i agree, i doubt the kangaroos will have success in the gold coast....but you can't fault the AFL for doing its best in trying to spread AFL right throughout the country, the same unfortunately cant be said for the NRL

So, what happened to Canberra then?

What did they spread there?

I don't deny that the NRL could do more than they do but the bottom line is that all these attempts at converting areas to AFL aren't working so AFL is certainly not a blueprint of how expansion should be done. 25 years and millions of dollars and they still can't get anyone to watch a Collingwood v Essendon match in NSW or Qld.

The Gold Coast will be a Canberra clone, a failed experiment.

Then Townsville, then Newcastle, then Dunedoo, then Parkes, then blah blah blah..

wittyfan

Referee
Anyone noticed how Channels 7 & 10 are going apesh1t with AFL promotion atm in Sydney?

Channel 7 are even using Saturday Disney to mention and promote AFL.

El Diablo

Post Whore

9/Eddie never mentioned the NRL once during the whole cricket season. instead they chose to plug shows they will be airing that have rated so poorly in the US that they've been axed.

macavity

Referee
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
then Newcastle

:lol: :lol:

AFL in Newcastle

what next, bikini contests in Tehran?

at least one of those would be interesting to watch....

(hint, thats the one that would get you stoned to death, not the one that should get you stoned to death)

Latest posts