What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 doing more for AFL than NRL

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2007/02/09/1170524270227.html

Nine to continue AFL coverage

Daniel Ziffer
February 9, 2007

Channel Nine will attempt to maintain the public's perception of its grip on AFL football, despite yesterday's deal cementing coverage between Seven, Ten and Pay-TV operator Foxtel.

Chief executive Eddie McGuire yesterday scorned the new five-year arrangement, in which four games will be shown weekly on free-to-air television - one fewer than last year - and reaffirmed his desire to bid for the next TV rights deal.

"Those people in Perth and Adelaide who complained about Nine's coverage (under the old deal), you can ask them what they're looking at now," he said.

McGuire said The Footy Show on Thursday nights, the Sunday Footy Show and a fresh AFL-focussed news and entertainment show on Monday nights would continue the heavily promoted past slogan of the past five years; "AFL on Nine".

In a break from taping his new quiz show 1 vs 100 at Docklands, McGuire said the new show would not be a clone of variety-fuelled The Footy Show or Seven's high-brow chat-show Talking Footy.

"It's got as much to do with them as The Footy Show had to do with (early TV show) League Teams," he said, praising his football news team.

The Collingwood president also rubbished rumours the quiz would move to Sydney to be shot.

"What, move all this?" he joked, gesturing upwards to the massive 1 vs 100 set. A large crew is working long days on the set, with the enough episodes to run until May expected to be shot by Wednesday.

The show has debuted to strong ratings, stealing some of the thunder from Seven's popular US drama Desperate Housewives.

On Monday the Housewives topped the national ratings, but in Melbourne the most-watched program was McGuire's quiz.

theage.com.au

:roll:

the NRL has no hope on 9 with Eddie at the helm

Ice777 said:
Besides a final, i can't remember the last time (if at all) a Storm game being shown live prime time against the gate down here in Melbourne like it will be when we play the Tigers in round one. I know alot of you will say big deal blah blah blah but to us in Melbourne and to Rugby league in Melbourne it is a big deal.

One things for certain is if nine still had the AFL rights, you can bet your arse it wouldn't have been showing the Storm game live, hell we would've been happy to have it on down here before midnight so i can only take this as a positive.

it wont be live channel 9 will be playing a movie and whats the bet they only show one game

Fightin' Irish

Juniors
Le KooK said:
The whole situation is an absolute farce...

The biggest advocate for the AFL is heading the channel which broadcasts the AFL's greatest competitor. We cannot win.

Channel nine is a business and they pay McGuires wage, the AFL and Collingwood do not. Its in the best interest of Eddie to to the best for channel 9 and its interests.

Anyone else in McGuire's position would take one minute to see that as Channel Nine's primary sporting ratings 'weapon' this winter,

Im sure he sees that to, only in RL territory though.

the NRL should be pushed as hard as can be onto both traditional and emerging markets. This year Nine have gone so far as to broadcast two matches every Friday night - a great spectacle for fans and for the code. It's a wonderful innovation, and Nine should be screaming about it from the rooftops. Yet they have not - Who is advising Eddie McGuire?

I keep hearing that there is not enough promotion up north and if true that is a joke. Im not sure if you are trying to say nine should broadcast both games live down south but if they did it would be embarrassing...Iron Chef anyone?;-)

Yet not only are Channel Nine silent when it comes to acting in the best interests of the NRL (or even themselves), they appear to have given tacit endorsement of the opposition code!

Its business my friend.

Take out the emotion and strip it back to the simpliest reason why nine are sticking with the AFL in VIC, SA, WA and TAS, $$$$ and ratings. Ratings bring in the bucks and advertisers want nothing to do with programs that don't rate. Put the RL footy show on isntead of the AFL one on a thursday night and what happens?

Nine can still promote RL by putting on every storm game at a decent hour without having to scrap programs that bring in the bucks. You wont see any afl related programs on during the week in NSW/QLD for the very reason any league shows wont be on down here.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Fightin' Irish said:
Channel nine is a business and they pay McGuires wage, the AFL and Collingwood do not. Its in the best interest of Eddie to to the best for channel 9 and its interests.

it's in channel 9's best interests to promote the one football code it has. they are not doing this.

it is not in their interests to promote products that will increase ratings for rival networks. they are doing this

Fightin' Irish said:
Im sure he sees that to, only in RL territory though.

you wouldn't know it. 9 have not shown one ad hyping this year up. 7 and 10 have been hyping AFL up for months.

Fightin' Irish said:
I keep hearing that there is not enough promotion up north and if true that is a joke. Im not sure if you are trying to say nine should broadcast both games live down south but if they did it would be embarrassing...Iron Chef anyone?;-)

not enough up north?

there has been no promotion whatsoever.

channel 7 doing ads about Shane Webcke joining their news team is more than 9 have done

Fightin' Irish said:
Its business my friend.

Take out the emotion and strip it back to the simpliest reason why nine are sticking with the AFL in VIC, SA, WA and TAS, $$$$ and ratings. Ratings bring in the bucks and advertisers want nothing to do with programs that don't rate. Put the RL footy show on isntead of the AFL one on a thursday night and what happens?

Nine can still promote RL by putting on every storm game at a decent hour without having to scrap programs that bring in the bucks. You wont see any afl related programs on during the week in NSW/QLD for the very reason any league shows wont be on down here.

bussiness and ratings for who? 7 and 10. they are the ones that will benefit from 9's AFL promotions. you'd have to be silly not to realise this.

if 9 don't promote RL in NSW and QLD, then God help Victoria.

Ice777

Bench
joel caine number 1 fan said:
it wont be live channel 9 will be playing a movie and whats the bet they only show one game

It will be live on channel it was announced ages ago. There's a big chance it will be the only game they show live but it's more than what we've had in the past so i'm not bitching. I'll be at the game anyway but it'll be a great opportunity to get it out there to Melbournian's with no AFL on and i'm tipping it'll rate quite well.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/league/storm-to-open-2007-season/2006/11/09/1162661833198.html

Storm to open 2007 season

November 10, 2006

Melbourne Storm will launch the 2007 rugby league season — and look to improve on the formidable reputation of Olympic Park in 2007 — when it hosts the Wests Tigers in round one on Friday, March 16.

The Storm was defeated only once at home this season — by the Warriors in round 24 — and the home-ground advantage set the foundation of its runaway minor premiership.
Brisbane and North Queensland will meet at Suncorp Stadium an hour after the Storm match starts, with NRL chief executive David Gallop hoping the twin launch of the NRL season on the Gold Coast and in Melbourne next year will help expel the notion that the game is Sydney-centric. Channel nine will broadcast the Storm match live into Melbourne and Sydney and the Broncos-Cowboys match live into Queensland.

Ice777

Bench
El Diablo said:
it's in channel 9's best interests to promote the one football code it has. they are not doing this.

it is not in their interests to promote products that will increase ratings for rival networks. they are doing this

While i agree they should be promoting the code they have, how exactly will it increase ratings for rival networks by having AFL shows? People are going to watch AFL in the same numbers no matter how many shows nine has. It's not as if they'll forget that the AFL is on and after watching a nine show suddenly remember to watch the footy. Ratings won't be higher on other channels but ratings will be higher on nine for having these shows so all in all it's a smart move.

Isn't the name of the game to get ratings no matter what the content is? Plus as has already been mentioned, they had AFL shows a long time before they had the rights that rated through the roof so i can't see what the carry on is about and that was also before Eddie was in charge and it was run by a Sydney bloke. While i can't be 100% sure i still reckon they would've had another AFL show regardless of if Eddie was in charge or not. If it rates, put it on ;-)

Again, i do agree that nine should be promoting the NRL more and i think you'll find they will in the month leading up to the start of the season which is soon.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Ice777 said:
While i agree they should be promoting the code they have, how exactly will it increase ratings for rival networks by having AFL shows?.

it will obviously increase interest in AFL

who atm moment will benefit from this? 7 and 10, not 9

LESStar58

Referee
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
No one in Sydney could tell you when the AFL kicks off.

I live in Melbourne and I couldn't even tell you when the AFL starts ;-)

I would have though that 9 are on a hiding to nothing by shwoing all this AFL related propagandha.

It can't even rate in Sydney and Brisbane on the Channel that is contracted to show it.....why does anyone seriously think their shows will rate up there?

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
mark123 said:
Um.....9, teltra, nrl, foxtel, foxsports.....

they are all in bed with each other....because they are linked and partly owned by one another/at least linked through the ownership triangle.

How do you expect a fair and equitable deal to happen any time soon?

Its a no frills deal that maximises everyones (except rugby league's) revenue.

We only have friday night live because people [at large not in minorities] would raise eyebrows and it makes money. It also costs money...

Remember the C7 fiasco?

The c7 offer was infinately better, but RL rejected it, because the news/FOX/Rupert/Packer/PBL/Premier sports conglomerate (co-operation) TOLD THEM NOT TOO!

iF YOU CANT see that and relate it to whats happening now, YOU ARE BLIND....but look what happened to the c7 deal.....they challenged it (being involved amongst other things) in court and the case is being heard...

In business, business has laws....its against the law to get the co-operation of other companies to diliberately shut other companies outside of your co-operation out of deals....

this is similar to the monopoly rules.

Its to create an open and fair market, one thats not rigged...

what you have at the moment is something bordering a rigged market with RL.

If you cant see that, you are blind.

Gallop was told to sign on the dotted line.

Live football has something to do with that...."give the masses live football in qld and nsw and maybe they wont notice how we have jipped them again....because there is talk of live football nationwide, but we dont want them to have it that as it lessens profits."

Sounds childish reading it back to myself, but please, no time to change it.....the meaning is there guys....

They are in bed with one another, and quality is going out the window in favour of profits....

because....

wait for it....

YOU MAY HAVE TWO PROVIDERS OF RL IN THE NATION, FOX AND CH 9, BUT GUESS WHAT....

THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME.... OWNED BY THE SAME 'THING' AND CO-OPERATIONAL INVOLVING THE SAME PEOPLE....

YOU ARE THE RATS IN THE ALLEY BEING NARROWED DOWN A TUNNEL....THE NRL DOES WHAT ITS TOLD.

Its quality of coverage that suffers because profits are all that matters, and lets face it, you will watch it as long as its the nrl comp.

If the nrl was not half owned by news ltd

Puppets....all puppets.

disclaimer:

I dont work for ch7,10, or 9. But i do know what you deserve is not what you get in this life.

In this life, people, mark123, my words, you get what YOU TAKE FOR YOURSELF.

Thats the only rule. The law is but a maze. Your desire and ambition - potentially limitless - is your guide. And the brain inside your head is your tool.

____

I dont recall hearing who won back in 98.

I do know who lost. Its name was rugby league.

Its no longer a stand alone entity....its owned, and it does what its told....it gets what it needs, nothing more.

BTW, do you know how hard it is these days to make money on AFL.....go ask the people who are faced with selling the AFL....its a HARD sell. They will be trying HARD to sell it.

You try and sell AFL AND make a profit, at the money that was paid for the rights.

NO WONDER its everywhere, but remember they have a team in all mainland states.

I'm sorry for the NRL. It doesnt get a total say in how its run, people other than itself are deciding its fate.

Not a good thing, when YOU think YOU can do better....

**** so before you go around asking why AFL gets a better deal....realise NOT to bother asking, because you already know you are wasting your breath.

come up with a report/long term plan with real-world aproval and data, then present it to the guys who are in charge, and hope they agree with you and change their tact.

I think you will find though, their goals and yours, are not the same....

What I see, is a period which we are coming to the end of, whereby the powers that be, are playing a balancing act with each code.

After this period, one will be favoured high up. Im out of the loop, perhaps one has already been chosen. But there is/was a period of balance and separation, that will soon/has ended.

If you think AFL has been chosen as a favourite, think again maybe. RL has more scope and reach internationally. AFL is limited. Australia is a small pie, but big enough for the packers of this country.

The time to push RL will probably creep up on you; you know RL has been a rickety ship lately. The NRL is just gaining its feet.

For those who must think positive, there is much in this little bit You see, I may not see RL as having its own control....but i do see it as having a destiny (something thats pre-defined).

And that destiny is pretty good.

Top post there Mark and some great points too! Couldnt agree more!

There is an agenda to shove RL out of the way. This agenda started in 1895 when we broke away from rah rah and has never stopped!

In the UK/France the union are well in bed with the media and have a say in what is shown rah rah wise and the suppression of RL in the press/tv. In Oz its the AFL who have the 'network' and again similarities emerge.

Why do many people hate rugby league? Ask most of the public outside who are just about nominal sports fans and most loathe this game? Why? Because of the bias propaganda machine to cause a public sway against RL, just like what the NAZI b@st@rds did during the early Hitler day against the Jews.

You may think I am getting carried away, but I have always sensed an evil agenda aginst rugby league, whether you agree or not.

We need to get activated with the NRL/ARL and the media! Send emails, letters you name it! It worked to a degree in the UK with the BBC! Now they show us slightly better respect, but the battle isnt over fols!

lotti

Bench
El Diablo said:
http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/news/afl/best-deal-for-football-fans-comes-under-attack/2007/02/08/1170524234311.html

Seems Eddie's cost cutting doesn't include AFL despite not having the rights.

This has to some kind of sick joke. Gallop should be having words with 9 and ask why they are promoting a sport shown on rival networks and doing sweet FA for the only big sport they have the rights to.
This surprises you why? Eddie as well as being the Nine CEO he is also unless he has stood down the Collingwood President so of course he would favour that code.

LESStar58

Referee
Copa said:
I wonder if the Monday AFL show will clash with Monday Night Football??

MNF is on Foxtel.....

Nein get Friday double headers and sunday matches and Fox get Super Saturday and MNF....

Still MNF on pay TV will outrate AFL on FTA

El Diablo

Post Whore
lotti said:
This surprises you why? Eddie as well as being the Nine CEO he is also unless he has stood down the Collingwood President so of course he would favour that code.

covj8.jpg

eddie is still pies president...and the greatest club president as well, the things he has done for collingwood and the position that he has got the club in off the field is staggering given the club was in serious debt when he took over in 1999 and was always finishing in the bottom 3

it was rumoured that he would give the presidency to Gary Pert (former head honcho of Austereo network which included MMM and Fox in melbourne, and now new chief of channel 9 in melbourne) when collingwood re-opened the MCG last ANZAC day after the comm games redevelpoment, but he has kept going and now doesnt look like giving it up....which is a great thing for Collingwood

El Diablo

Post Whore
Collingwood Storm said:
eddie is still pies president...and the greatest club president as well, the things he has done for collingwood and the position that he has got the club in off the field is staggering given the club was in serious debt when he took over in 1999 and was always finishing in the bottom 3

it was rumoured that he would give the presidency to Gary Pert (former head honcho of Austereo network which included MMM and Fox in melbourne, and now new chief of channel 9 in melbourne) when collingwood re-opened the MCG last ANZAC day after the comm games redevelpoment, but he has kept going and now doesnt look like giving it up....which is a great thing for Collingwood
'

who cares :?

Fightin' Irish

Juniors
El Diablo said:
it will obviously increase interest in AFL

who atm moment will benefit from this? 7 and 10, not 9

Shows that are to be screened in the southern states would increase interest in the AFL?

Have you just landed from Pluto? These states are already AFL states so there is nothing to increase, Nine are trying to exploit a market that is already established. The market dictates the shows that need to be screened and like it or not anything to do with the afl down here is money for jam.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Fightin' Irish said:
Shows that are to be screened in the southern states would increase interest in the AFL?

correct

Fightin' Irish said:
Have you just landed from Pluto? These states are already AFL states so there is nothing to increase, Nine are trying to exploit a market that is already established.

are you telling me the AFL don't advertise in AFL states?

this includes TV, Radio, Newspapers, Buses etc etc

if the answer is yes then you have a point

if the answer is no then please get back to me when you have one

Fightin' Irish

Juniors
El Diablo said:
correct

are you telling me the AFL don't advertise in AFL states

How would you know? Take it from somebody who is living behind enemy lines mate they don't advertise much.

Its akin to preaching to the converted. What they spend in the afl states is a mere drop in the ocean to what they are spending elsewhere...$35 million is what that clown boss of the AFL was spruiking. I

Pluto is not a planet

oh dear...

El Diablo

Post Whore
Fightin' Irish said:
How would you know?

Err that's why I asked you

goose

Fightin' Irish said:
Take it from somebody who is living behind enemy lines mate they don't advertise much.

so they do

you said "These states are already AFL states so there is nothing to increase" - Fightin' Irish

so why advertise??
Fightin' Irish said:
Its akin to preaching to the converted. What they spend in the afl states is a mere drop in the ocean to what they are spending elsewhere...$35 million is what that clown boss of the AFL was spruiking.

so why are they preaching to the converted?

would it be to increase awareness/interest or are they just pissing money up against a wall?