What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 doing more for AFL than NRL

Ziggy the God

First Grade
PBL have bought their affiliate in Perth, and will likely also purchase the Adelaide equivalent, thus giving them the same National network as 7 and 10. The next step will be PBL offloading the whole lot, as the returns in gaming far outstrip terrestial television stations.

Eddie has held onto his Collingwood seat because he knows that he will be getting the arse shortly.

What will a sale of PBL do to League? Whilst difficult to forecast, IMHO, it cannot get any worse.

Brutus

Referee
So every commercial FTA channel will have a strong AFL influence. They are forcing themselves upon many people who couldn't give a frig.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its called a strategy to make your game No1 in the country, someday the NRL may come up with one!!:roll:

I believe Eddie is keen to stay in the good books with the AFL for when the TV rights are next up for grabs. His nose will be a nice, pristine shade of brown by then.

Attn Jamie Packer - Let Eddie go play AFL games with Ch10 (his original network), and get Peter Holmes A Court to run 9, Russell can deal with Souths. Kerry would be throwing thunderbolts left right and centre if he were alive and saw how Channel 9 are being hamstrung right now.

Perth Red

Post Whore
El Diablo said:
the AFL aren't making 9 do this.

Disagree, by the way they have gone about developing their game into a truly National comp and presenting the AFL as THE sport in Australia they have left Ch9 with no apparent choice. Jump on board or lose out.

I still can't figure out how AFL has managed to do it given the product on the field but I take my hat off to their administrators, they have positioned the code very very well.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Perth Red said:
Its called a strategy to make your game No1 in the country, someday the NRL may come up with one!!:roll:
Maybe they could try introducing teams in big populations like Perth and Adelaide?

Tom Shines

First Grade
Bring back John Fifita said:
I believe Eddie is keen to stay in the good books with the AFL for when the TV rights are next up for grabs. His nose will be a nice, pristine shade of brown by then.

Attn Jamie Packer - Let Eddie go play AFL games with Ch10 (his original network), and get Peter Holmes A Court to run 9, Russell can deal with Souths. Kerry would be throwing thunderbolts left right and centre if he were alive and saw how Channel 9 are being hamstrung right now.
Not to mention how they are getting towelled in the ratings this year. Only one show in the Top Ten for the week., RPA.

Bring back John Fifita said:

eddie doesnt give a sh1t what the AFL think.....he has bagged the crap out of them for years, about the salary cap, extra rookies, extra home games etc....

eddie calls things how he sees them

macavity

Referee
Collingwood Storm said:
eddie doesnt give a sh1t what the AFL think.....he has bagged the crap out of them for years, about the salary cap, extra rookies, extra home games etc....

eddie calls things how he sees them

bwahahahahahha

eddie wants to promote AFL. you are deluded to think otherwise.

one can only hope packer sells pbl and eddie gets the boot.

Good God Collin Strom or whatever you call yourself, Eddie is an muppet and an AFL stooge.

Even without the rights, he's promoting it.

Can't get much more stooge than than.

We know you're nothing but a low-grade AFL troll but even they're allowed to pull their heads out of their arses occasionally.

Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Good God Collin Strom or whatever you call yourself, Eddie is an muppet and an AFL stooge.

Even without the rights, he's promoting it.

Can't get much more stooge than than.

We know you're nothing but a low-grade AFL troll but even they're allowed to pull their heads out of their arses occasionally.

Yeah Eddie's actions are nothing but agenda driven rubbish.

Of course he is going to continue to plug AFL. He has considerable business interests in the code and also is president of one of its biggest clubs.

He is a stooge, pure and simple.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Copa said:
I take it the AFL footy show is still on ch9?
Yep, the Thursday night line-up is as follows:
Hey Hey It's A f**king Ratings Disaster at 9:30pm
Nightline at 11:00pm
Footy Show at 11:30pm

El Diablo

Post Whore
seems 9 are at it again re Origin II in Melbourne

despite Origin I getting great ratings it looks like 9 are showing AFL on he 13th instead

http://www.ejwhittenlegendsgame.com.au/home.asp

LEGENDS GO LIVE!!!

For the first time in the history of the game this year's Legends Game will be telecast LIVE from 7.30pm by Channel 9. Take along your radios for another first - A live simulcast by Triple M.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport...ly-allstars-too/2007/05/31/1180205426398.html

Legends live on Nine
PROOF that the E.J. Whitten Legends match continues to grow in stature, with Channel Nine to announce today it will screen this year's Telstra Dome match live throughout Victoria for the first time. "It's always been on delay, but Nine approached us about going live and while we're not sure what impact it will have on the gate, we thought it would just be a fantastic fillip for the game," one of the event's organisers, Wes Smith, said yesterday. Nine made the decision on the back of some encouraging figures from its live screening in Melbourne of last week's rugby league state-of-origin match, when the audience peaked at 416,000 viewers, making it the second-best viewed program of the night. That said, rugby league will have to take a back seat for the second match in the series because it is on the same night — next Wednesday week — as the legends game and will be shown on a 90-minute delay.

Eelectrica

Referee
I'm looking forward to laughing at Nine melbourne when this leg-ends game fails to outrate Origin 1.
Commiserations to Melbourne league fans though. It's a disgrace the way nine continues promoting AFL over the sport it owns the rights too.

Latest posts