What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 doing more for AFL than NRL

Brutus

Referee
International RL said:
I appreciate that point. I think it certainly has merit. However the NRL GF in melb outrating the swans GF in sydney HAS to open eyes to possibilities. We have a great product..someone just has to get behind it!

Ever since super league rugby league has had to play second fiddle as media interests push it around to squeeze whatever theycan out of it. Rugby league is like that battered wife that will never leave her husband, despite the idiot going out and throwing himself at some whore that has been with everyone ie the AFL.

I think everyone is just sick of the networks falling over themselves to plug the f**k out of AFL and throw bucket loads of cash at it so they can broadcast it. I am sick to death of having this rubbish sport crammed down my throat. The point is Nine lost the AFL, so it would be in its interests to see the ratings go down as they struggle to hold onto top spot. The way to do that is to plug the NRL. However because of Eddies love for the southern code he is pumping limited resources into creating segway programs to bolster the product of a rival. Not to mention that he has various business interests contingent on the success of the AFl.. Conflict of interest anyone?

Everyone in Sydney needs to wake up to the AFl coming up here to kill our code. They aren't here to 'offer and alternative'. Auskick is everywhere. They want our kids and Eddie is helping bombard them through his role in a network that should be promoting our interests, as RL and nine's interests are inherrently linked.

Has anyone seen that GAY 'barry hall hall' ad, where the nrl jersey is torn into a AFL singlet. It makes me want to vomit and punch holes in the wall. That to me shows the attitude that AFL has to rugby league and the northern states. They covet the money and market penetration available here along with population growth. Demetriou even refers to the QLD and NSW as 'our' [AFL] markets.

Wake up NRL. Start calling this AFL stooge out for what he is!

Well said mate. The AFL have made it quite clear that simply so-existing with RL in NSW and QLD is not their charter. They want to take over like never before.

McCrud

Juniors
Brutus said:
Well said mate. The AFL have made it quite clear that simply so-existing with RL in NSW and QLD is not their charter. They want to take over like never before.

And Channel Nine is helping the AFL cause no end.

Brutus

Referee
El Diablo said:
i wonder why Phil Gould has remained silent on this :roll:

It's a massive issue for our game, but self-interest will prevent it from being heard. Roy Masters and Talkin Sport may give it a run though.

McCrud

Juniors
Brutus said:
In another sign that cost cutting is taking a toll at embattled Channel 9, sports bosses have shelved plans for their new Monday night rugby league show. The Melbourne equivalent will proceed but the Sydney version has been axed due to lack of resources. Sports boss Steve Crawley confirmed the decision saying: " We have had a year of excellent coverage and we didn't want to compromise by going to air with anything less than great."

Found this on page 50 of the Sunday Telegraph.

Isn't it funny how the league/Sydney show has a lack of resources, but the AFL show gets the go-ahead. This is a station that no longer has the AFL rights and has promised to give rugby league a massive push.

I believe a late-night league review show on a Monday night on FTA would have been great. Obviously it's only AFL fans who deserve this.

This is reaching farcical proportions now - the people of NSW and QLD would have loved a Monday night NRL show, it would have been perfect. Yet the AFL one gets the go ahead, it's almost as if Eddie is rubbing it in 'our' faces. And no doubt the AFL show will be televised up north, very helpful you are Eddie.

I'm disgusted.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Will be a massive double slap in the NRL face if they do show the AFL Monday show into NSW or Q'land.

The sooner everything goes digital and Nine is on satelite the better. then they can have two Nine stations and no matter where you are you will be able to watch or NRL at a decent time.

Brutus

Referee
Le KooK said:
This is reaching farcical proportions now - the people of NSW and QLD would have loved a Monday night NRL show, it would have been perfect. Yet the AFL one gets the go ahead, it's almost as if Eddie is rubbing it in 'our' faces. And no doubt the AFL show will be televised up north, very helpful you are Eddie.

I'm disgusted.

I have no doubt the Monday night AFL show will be televised up North. Just like every other AFL show has been over the last 10-15 years. Even if they put it on at 12.30pm it's still more AFL content of FTA in the northern states. You watch, if they don't put it on in the first few weeks. The same old small band of AFL ex-pats will kick up a fuss and it will be shown.

I believe we will see the AFL get twice the amount of FTA coverage in the northern states this year than rugby league will.

Eelectrica

Referee
If Ch 9 Loses the FNF ratings war in NSW and QLD to 7 or 10 surely Eddie will be sacked.
Won't he? :crazy:

Ice777

Bench
Eelectrica said:
If Ch 9 Loses the FNF ratings war in NSW and QLD to 7 or 10 surely Eddie will be sacked.
Won't he? :crazy:

I think it's very safe to say that channel 9 losing to 7 or 10 in NSW or QLD in the FNF timeslot will never happen. Ever.

donkey|rope

Juniors
Channel 9 and its constant stupidity is so frustrating. But the real question is: what can we do? And that’s not a rhetorical question by the way. What can we do, regardless of how inconsequential our actions are likely to be, to try to get a fair go for the sport we love?

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,23663,21288665-10229,00.html

Nine will need footy
By Michael Gadd

February 26, 2007 02:38pm
Article from: AAP

Font size: + -

Send this article: Print Email

THE bash and barge of rugby league can't come soon enough for the Nine Network after it was battered again by rival Seven in the second week of the official TV ratings season.

Seven asserted itself again last week by winning all but one night, conceding Thursday to Nine's programming led by RPA, and accounted for nine of the top ten programs on TV.

Last night's second episode of Ugly Betty on Seven drew impressive numbers again to be the night's most watched show after its debut last week topped the two million viewer mark.

Seven's overall audience share of 31 per cent will be out of reach for Nine's 26.2 per cent until Eddie McGuire's team can find matches for Seven's strong imports and local light entertainment programs.

The V8 Supercars and AFL pre-season openers have also performed well and bode well for Seven, which has the pick of the matches come the season proper.

The 2007 NRL season kicks off on March 16 with Nine airing double-headers on Friday night and live matches on Sunday, supplemented by Monday night matches on Fox Sports.

While there is an element of luck when it comes to the success of overseas dramas, Seven will be especially pleased with the performance of its local product such as Dancing With The Stars, Australia's Got Talent and All Saints.

Ugly Betty's average of 1.85 million viewers last night led another bumper Sunday for Seven, with Grey's Anatomy, Seven News and Australia's Got Talent taking out the top five shows of the night.

Nine current affairs flagship 60 Minutes is hanging on by a thread against fledgling fashion boffin Betty with 1.2 million viewers last night.

The ABC's Planet Earth and Foyle's War performed well with 1.1 million viewers each.

On Network Ten, The Biggest Loser was again its best performer for the past week and last night increased its audience by 143,000 viewers to reach 1.03 million, but its new light-hearted star and puppy vehicle Celebrity Dog School is lagging with just over half a million viewers.

someone just needs to tell Eddie the obvious

Perth Red

Post Whore
A start would be for club chairmen to be asking why the hell the NRL is so weak on TV contract discussions. Then us the fans should be doing the same via media one year out from the new deal.

the NRL needs to be pressured into putting the game on the open market, it is the only way Ch9 will show it the respect it deserves.

Pazza

First Grade
this AFL hype will never catch on because its not genuine hype. No one i know have come up to me and gone i'm really looking forward to watching swans go round. This media bombardment is so fake and people are showing the FTA networks this by tuning into the iron chief

Brutus

Referee
The AFL is hoping all this manufactered hype will one day pay handsome dividends.

Meanwhile convicted criminals like Daniel Kerr remain part of AFL's squeaky clean image.

ch7 were only going to be showing the preseason afl games into nsw and qld in the early hours, but now they are showing it live prime time this week into brisbane

airpoe

Juniors
Collingwood Storm said:
ch7 were only going to be showing the preseason afl games into nsw and qld in the early hours, but now they are showing it live prime time this week into brisbane
I saw it in a tv guide as well on Friday.

I doubt this thou, its likely an error!!

Double checked its on Friday night in Brisbane at 8:30pm!!