What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 doing more for AFL than NRL

Fightin' Irish

Juniors
El Diablo said:
so they do

you said "These states are already AFL states so there is nothing to increase" - Fightin' Irish

so why advertise??

Meeting spending budgets, who knows. They don't do a lot because they dont have to, two newspapers, countless radio stations and 140 years of tradition see to that.

so why are they preaching to the converted?

would it be to increase/awareness interest or are they just pissing money up against a wall?

As i stated above AFL is at saturation point down here, anything AFL is eaten up. This is why 9 are so keen to get a piece of it, I'm not sure why that is hard to understand.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Fightin' Irish said:
Meeting spending budgets, who knows. They don't do a lot because they dont have to, two newspapers, countless radio stations and 140 years of tradition see to that.

lol

you can'tanswer the question, can you.

it no doubt increases interest/awareness. the AFL aren't stupid.

Fightin' Irish said:
As i stated above AFL is at saturation point down here, anything AFL is eaten up. This is why 9 are so keen to get a piece of it, I'm not sure why that is hard to understand.

* they are promoting a rival networks product about 3 times a week

* they are not doing the same thing for a product on their own network up herw

Fightin' Irish

Juniors
El Diablo said:
lol

you can'tanswer the question, can you.

it no doubt increases interest/awareness. the AFL aren't stupid.

Apart from some media on the melbourne Victory there is nothing else, maybe that is their reason.

* they are promoting a rival networks product about 3 times a week

They are also keeping close ties with the AFL(next media rights will be negotiated soon). Not to mention the ability to get some ground back from the ratings they will lose by not having the football anymore. For years the Footy show was the most watched sports program on tv and it made sh*tloads of money for nine when they didnt have the rights. Do you shelve those type of successful shows becuase you dont have the rights to that sport? Whats next, banning any highlights and scores in the news programs perhaps?

* they are not doing the same thing for a product on their own network up herw

Seperate issues for different markets, the fact that they arent exploiting a strength is the true crime.

Eddie is in bed with the AFL massive Fightin Irish and is pushing it's barrow, because deep down it is what he loves. He has already said that they will try and get the rights back...IN FIVE YEARS. How about you just focus on keeping your job Eddie.

No matter how you try and dress it up, it is undeniable the bloke is an AFL stooge with a heap of business interests contingent on the success of that code. He is promoting the content of a rival network out of self interest, personal love and a desperate need to piss in the pockets of the oh so precious AFL...heaven forbid they won't take a bid from nine in 5 years time.

The way the networks pander to the AFL is just boggling.

Ice777

Bench
International RL said:
How about you just focus on keeping your job Eddie.

Ummm isn't that what he's doing? Is it not his job to get ratings and make money? These show s are proven to bring in big ratings and millions upon millions of dollars a year in advertising revenue. Following that criteria, he's not only doing his job, he's doing it very very well and it would be remiss of him not to maximise ratings and revenue. Do you think his boss James would be sharing people's narrow minded view on here? Is Eddie supposed to forego those ratings and millions of dollars just because they don't hold the AFL rights? Are you f**king serious? :lol:

If you were head of a company and you had a chance to make massive amounts of money without risk and gauranteed would you not do it? pfft of course you would and if you say you wouldn't you're just plain stupid and shouldn't and/or wouldn't be in the position anyway. As fighting irish said, i don't understand why it's so hard to understand i really don't.

Even IF these shows were going to help promote AFL on seven and ten which i doubt very much as people are going to AFL regardless anyway, but IF it did did boost the ratings a point or two would it not be more than worth it an benificial to nine to get very good ratings themselves and the millions of dollars as well? I keep going back to that because the fact is that's the bottom line whether you like it or not. Ratings and money and if Eddie wasn't in charge the shows would still be going ahead as they always have when they never had the rights. Who would you bitch about then? I'm sure there'd be someone else.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Wait until the cross media laws come into force around April. Expect it to be only a short while until both Ten and Nine will have new owners. Canwest (owners of 10) are already canvassing potential suitors. Nine is becoming a smaller percentage of PBL's revenue each year as its gaming interests rise. Why tie up capital in an Australian TV station, when you can redeploy it into Macau and make returns of 30%+.

Lets see how the new owners go with 'developing the code' bullsh*t. It will come down to what rates, and in the end, as AFL doesn't rate up here, so watch them stretch the word 'Live' to mean whatever they want.

Almost forgot, Eddie will obviously be out on his arse, so you can have him looking after Collingwood on a fulltime basis. Best for all concerned, wouldn't you say? ;-)

lotti

Bench
apparently channel eddie is going to be showing the friday night double headers live into Melbourne, which is good but it also means I have to remember to set my IQ before I leave the house in 1 month and 5 days(but who's counting).

lotti

Bench
Foxtel has 9 and the abc as part of their channel package and with IQ you can tape things.

nqboy

First Grade
El Diablo said:
Wow, looks impressive. Particularly to someone that struggles with anything more than a basic mobile phone.

I was at a concert the other night and was depressed by the sight of a Downs Syndrome kid taking a photo with his mobile. I wouldn't even know where to start :(

skeepe

Immortal
lotti said:
Foxtel has 9 and the abc as part of their channel package and with IQ you can tape things.

9 is only in certain cities... it's certainly not on Foxtel in Canberra.. sh*ts me to tears because if I ever want to watch a match on 9 I have to put up with sh*tty reception that makes it almost unwatchable or wait for the Fox Sports replay.

Brutus

Referee
In another sign that cost cutting is taking a toll at embattled Channel 9, sports bosses have shelved plans for their new Monday night rugby league show. The Melbourne equivalent will proceed but the Sydney version has been axed due to lack of resources. Sports boss Steve Crawley confirmed the decision saying: " We have had a year of excellent coverage and we didn't want to compromise by going to air with anything less than great."

Found this on page 50 of the Sunday Telegraph.

Isn't it funny how the league/Sydney show has a lack of resources, but the AFL show gets the go-ahead. This is a station that no longer has the AFL rights and has promised to give rugby league a massive push.

I believe a late-night league review show on a Monday night on FTA would have been great. Obviously it's only AFL fans who deserve this.

_Johnsy

Referee
Gallop is like a more eloquent, skinner version of Mr magoo, I cant imagine him raising his voice no matter how pissed off he was.