What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 doing more for AFL than NRL

meltiger

First Grade
El Diablo said:
seems 9 are at it again re Origin II in Melbourne

despite Origin I getting great ratings it looks like 9 are showing AFL on he 13th instead

http://www.ejwhittenlegendsgame.com.au/home.asp

As frustrating as it is ... Where have you been? This stupid game of kick and giggle played by old farts has been shown on SOO 2 night for years now.

No suprise.

The main thing that pisses me off, is that the first year it was not played on a Wednesday night, it was deliberately moved to coincide with SOO 2. < This is a big part of the reason why I am adamant C9 will never ever do anything to help promote RL in Victoria until such a time as the NRL grows enough balls to challenge them.

LESStar58

Referee
So........ Jaimmy Packer is selling Channel 9, eh?

This can either completley f**k us or completely benefit us.

As for Origin into Melbourne........it's a disgrace that we won't get it but I think from memory it rates quite well here. Still won't do the business Origin 1 did hopefully and ouch wood we'll get Origin 3 live.

Brutus

Referee
Why doesn't channel 9 just invent a flogball show for every day/night of the week and be done with it.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Surely someone on LU must know people higher up in C9? Tell them to clean up their act and start looking after the bloody game that they shelled out for ffs.

If not I sure as f**k hope either 7 or 10 buy the next round of rights. I'm getting sick of this sh*t.

Brycey

Juniors
When our TV rights were up for grabs last time, was there any reports of other channels wanting to bid? Was it only Channel 9, or were the NRL ignoring all others and just negotiated with 9.

I suspect the latter.

I don't think they did Brycey.

The NRL sell the TV rights to themselves basically. Not too many companies, sports or otherwise get market value selling under those conditions.

El Diablo

Post Whore
to be fair Gallop did meet the 7 CEO
Seven wants league rights

By Dean Ritchie
May 04, 2005
A PRIVATE 90-minute lunch in Pyrmont yesterday has thrown open the $200 million battle for rugby league's free-to-air television rights.
NRL chief executive David Gallop yesterday held a secret meeting at Channel 7 headquarters in an opening round of high-powered negotiations aimed at stealing the rights that Channel 9 has held since 1992.

Gallop arrived at Seven's Pyrmont premises at 12.50pm for lunch with Seven chief David Leckie in the fourth floor board room.

Conversation between the pair centred on free-to-air television rights, which become available at the end of next season and are worth up to $40 million a season.

Gallop will discuss the contents of yesterday's meeting at an all-day NRL chief executives conference today.

Despite yesterday's meeting at Seven, Nine chief executive David Gyngell last night cast doubts that Seven was legitimately interested in obtaining the NRL rights.

Nine insiders claim Leckie knows the NRL contract intimately and Seven's intervention is purely attempting to push up the Nine price.

Asked was Seven's interest genuine, Gyngell said: "No mate, I don't believe they are genuine.

"Ask David Leckie if he thinks he can get them (the rights) and I don't think he'd say yes.

"But they (Seven) have to have the discussions. They were always going to have a look.

"They have a substantial commitment to the AFL. They are committed to AFL."

However, Seven's director of corporate affairs, Simon Francis, refuted suggestions his station did not harbour a genuine interest in rugby league.

"Seven is keen to be an active participant in the negotiating process. Beyond that we are not willing to comment," Francis said.

Insiders at Seven say the NRL is just as important as the AFL in regards to revenue and audience.

"We'd love to have rugby league back," one Seven source said.

Keen to woo Gallop, Nine sat the NRL boss on Gyngell's official Channel 9 table at this week's Logie Awards in Melbourne, along with AFL chief executive Andrew Demitriou.

The predicted $30 million to $40 million figure is a considerable increase on Nine's current free-to-air deal, worth about $15 million annually.

Gyngell said he and Gallop had not spoken officially about television rights although the pair recently met in Byron Bay and the subject was raised.

"Rugby league is an outstanding product and David (Gallop) is only doing his job by talking to Seven or even Ten. It doesn't surprise me or concern me," Gyngell said.

"He has to do the best for his company and the game. The paper talk is pushing up the price. We haven't sat down with David yet but we have canvassed it internally."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,15170203-32462,00.html

El Diablo

Post Whore
i still want Gallop to show some balls and ask 9 some questions

1. Why aren't you showing games in Melbourne before midnight as per the agreement?

2. Why is there no NRL version of Footy Classifieds ?

3. Why are you showing Footy Classifieds and The AFL Footy Show on 9HD in Sydney and Brisbane but not doing likewise for the NRL version in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth?

Alehana

Juniors
its simple
The twigs that run the networks eg channel 9, and that d!ckhead macguire, have footy on the brains all the time, and their preimier interest is that, so they will do anything to promote it above everything else

What doesn't help is we have a softco** in gallop who cant keep a deal for sh!t and is getting rape at it, which further disadvantages the media coverage of league.

Combining these two aspects is resulting in sh!t coverage of league and the uprising of afl, it will continue untill those wank*** at the networks stop being gay with afl and see that its not as popular as they invision in their dreams, and that most people like other sports in aus than afl, but i think it will be a while till we c that unless a good tv deal is reached and its upheld

Perth Red

Post Whore
So if 7 were thought to be offering 30-40mill what did Ch9 pay to keep the rights?

What I can't understand is why the NRL club ceo's allow the NRL to get away with it? Surely it is hurting them the most and as an astute businessman surely they would have questioned the deal, both privately and publicly? Same could be said for the ARL. We know NEws have a vested interest in keeping the rights deal down but what of the ARL and clubs?

lotti

Bench
fingers crossed the test gets good ratings in Melbourne to show 9 that there is a market for the game down here.

Latest posts