What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 doing more for AFL than NRL

El Diablo

Post Whore
I can't see all three shows being broadcast into Sydney/Brisbane.

two of the three AFL shows on 9HD in Sydney and Brisbane at the same time they go to air in Melbourne

zero Rugby League shows into AFL states on 9HD

9 are dirty merkins

beesting is always whinging about everything but never criticises 9 for promoting AFL more than NRL

Nath_Oo

Juniors
Ok for anyone who might feel the need to complain about this (and hopefully persuade 9 to play the game live) ive got a phone number for both Channel 9 and the ARL...i reckon give em a call and let them both know how dissapointing it is, and that we want to see Friday's test shown live, or as close as possible.
Channel Nine Melbourne (03) 9420-3111
ARL: 02 9232 7566

Nath_Oo

Juniors
ok, just spoke to channel 9, nrl and arl regarding this friday's test match...and unfortunately had no luck.
Got the old standard "the games dont rate..." line from 9 programer...wanker. And he reckons nrl prohibits them from using nine HD to show the games, which they actually want to do. He said if you want to watch league in victoria, you're just living in the wrong place. Well sorry for having been born in Vic...i'll let my parents know that channel 9 think they should have had me somewhere else. He said just get foxtel. Seriously.
Called arl...but the receptionist said due to city country, all the staff are not in the office and passed me onto the nrl...
Nrl were very helpful and sympathetic...probably just to keep me happy, and said there isnt much they can do, except keep asking 9 to show the games in better times, which they have been doing and will continue to do...and that until the tv rights deal renewal in 2012 there isnt much else we can do...
When i brought up the point of letting nine show league on HD, they didnt have an answer for me...but will call back with someone who might know more about this.
So i'll post again if/when i get a call back.
Anyone know what foxtel costs to get and installed?

Brutus

Referee
What a joke.

Can't they show it at 10.30pm at least? 12.30pm is just ridiculous and the people running the NRL deserve to be sacked for letting this occur.

ok, just spoke to channel 9, nrl and arl regarding this friday's test match...and unfortunately had no luck.
Got the old standard "the games dont rate..." line from 9 programer...wanker. And he reckons nrl prohibits them from using nine HD to show the games, which they actually want to do. He said if you want to watch league in victoria, you're just living in the wrong place. Well sorry for having been born in Vic...i'll let my parents know that channel 9 think they should have had me somewhere else. He said just get foxtel. Seriously.
Called arl...but the receptionist said due to city country, all the staff are not in the office and passed me onto the nrl...
Nrl were very helpful and sympathetic...probably just to keep me happy, and said there isnt much they can do, except keep asking 9 to show the games in better times, which they have been doing and will continue to do...and that until the tv rights deal renewal in 2012 there isnt much else we can do...
When i brought up the point of letting nine show league on HD, they didnt have an answer for me...but will call back with someone who might know more about this.
So i'll post again if/when i get a call back.
Anyone know what foxtel costs to get and installed?

thats crap nrl is pretty popular in melbourne
game rate better than movies they show billions of time over :roll:

El Diablo

Post Whore
now channel 9 look like they're trying to cover up AFL player behaviour

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/fevola-cut-says-footy-show/2009/09/23/1253385024652.html

A Channel Nine spokeswoman also would not confirm nor deny claims aired on radio station 3AW today that Fevola had a physical altercation with a producer from The Footy Show.

"We're not going to disclose what took place, or what didn't take place," she said.

no surprise there

just makes you wonder what other things they're covering up and why

Brutus

Referee
Can only imagine what would happen if a RL player had an altercation with a Ch 7 employee.

DubaiSaint

Juniors
Going back to the original point on TV rights, the AFL are absolutely killing it here in the Middle East.

On the TV here, you see two AFL games live every weekend and the AFL advertising for their GF is up there. These ads are being shown in prime time during EPL broadcasts and the NFL broadcasts.

Essentially, the brits get EPL, the Americans here get NFL and us Aussies are given "our national code"...

AFL is the bee's knees here and long term Aussie expats here in Dubai, even Sydney siders, are now "AFL Fans" because that's all that's on from home.

Super 14 gets a run in its short season, but NRL gets ZERO.

English Super League is shown live (as is English club rugby) but no NRL.

The EPL gets saturation coverage so the availability for other sports is slim, but the AFL is getting a huge share of it.

For the record, there are 4 sports channels here in Dubai on Pay-TV and the company is called ShowTime and its affiliation is with FoxSports.

FoxSports is Murdoch and owns the NRL rights, but is doing ZERO with it.

I have contacted NRL marketing about this and they said they were "hoping to get State of Origin and the GF shown next year".

Seriously f###ed if you ask me consider the AFL get two live games a week.

:(

Perth Red

Post Whore
TV stations are out to do what's best for them. it is up to the game to make sure they do what's best for the game! Until Gallop grows a set and the cartel of Ch9, News Ltd, Fox sports and Telstra is dismantled the NRL are going to get shafted everytime.

ozzy_ozman

Juniors
Going back to the original point on TV rights, the AFL are absolutely killing it here in the Middle East.

On the TV here, you see two AFL games live every weekend and the AFL advertising for their GF is up there. These ads are being shown in prime time during EPL broadcasts and the NFL broadcasts.

Essentially, the brits get EPL, the Americans here get NFL and us Aussies are given "our national code"...

AFL is the bee's knees here and long term Aussie expats here in Dubai, even Sydney siders, are now "AFL Fans" because that's all that's on from home.

Super 14 gets a run in its short season, but NRL gets ZERO.

English Super League is shown live (as is English club rugby) but no NRL.

The EPL gets saturation coverage so the availability for other sports is slim, but the AFL is getting a huge share of it.

For the record, there are 4 sports channels here in Dubai on Pay-TV and the company is called ShowTime and its affiliation is with FoxSports.

FoxSports is Murdoch and owns the NRL rights, but is doing ZERO with it.

I have contacted NRL marketing about this and they said they were "hoping to get State of Origin and the GF shown next year".

Seriously f###ed if you ask me consider the AFL get two live games a week.

:(

that is f**ked!

My brought my gf's cousins who came from dubai to watch the game between bulldogs and parra earlier in the year they loved it!

he has told me the samethiing that they dont show any NRL games up there which is really farked.

bobmar28

Bench
While I fear the long term relationship with the NRL is being mishandled by Nine (who no doubt have future AFL rights in mind for the future under Eddie esq), this article really is a storm in a teacup in relation to the NRL.

But related to the concerns..

Anyone noticed how Channels 7 & 10 are going apesh1t with AFL promotion atm in Sydney? Sports tonight headlines some AFL story first every night, League getting a bite some 5-6 stories in. The War has well and truly started. And just like World War two - the darkside have all the initiative, have caught the Allies unaware and well & truly have the upper hand early on.

Channel 9 is asleep at the wheel. Coincidence that Eddie is running the show??? - you decide.

Wall to wall coverage on One HD with classic grand final replays every day this week.

Latest posts