What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 doing more for AFL than NRL

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
I wish that merkin who runs the AFL ran our game. He has 1/2 the population convinced that his game isn't sh*t, imagine what he'd do with a game that is actually great.

The people who ran our game thought it was so great that they sold it off to News Limited for nothing. talk is cheap. If something is so great, why flog it off?

The people who ran our game thought it was so great that they sold it off to News Limited for nothing. talk is cheap. If something is so great, why flog it off?

You're mistaking people who'd had enough and just wanted to get the game up and running again with people who are only in it for the $.

Brutus

Referee
I noticed all the Sydney news channels went big on the Browneye Medal tonight.

Why??? We don't give a f**k.

bobmar28

Bench
Well if the AFL footy show does get on in Sydney, watch the ratings drop below 40k.

It's already on the HD channel. Do you have any idea how it rates?

It's annoying having to switch from HD to SD when the AFL footy show starts.

Last edited:

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Go follow the fumbleball if you hate RL so much, better still, take a long walk off the gap.

You idiot. pretending everything is OK is a sure road to disaster. If league is to have a future, news Limited need to be out and talented business people with ;eague at heart need to run the game and the clubs. Use your brain.

Brycey

Juniors
Brycey

70K turned up to one final in Melbourne! If that's your point, it's a dumb one.

Further, the AFL appears to have an agenda and expansion plans. You and ELA might scoff - but at leadt they have a plan.

Gallop's plan - let News Limited screw the game to death ripping money out the game - but blame it on a media conspiracy.
Wow the AFL is popular in Melbourne; gee great point you bought up.

Im not negating that, if I wanted to bring up a dumb point Id go on about NRL drawing an 80k crowd in Sydney.

What I am saying is the AFL would give their left nut to be able to draw 75k total to a game in Auckland and a game in Brisbane.

Evenflow

Bench
The sooner these pricks lose the rights to rugby league the better. Give it to someone who appreciates the game and it's fans including down south. Though the NRL have to show a bit of spine come the next tv rights time because if they haven't learnt anything from this time they'll let the next rights holder walk all over them again just as nine have.

Brutus

Referee
Wouldn't it be nice if Channel 9 Brisbane could show Darren Lockyer's 300th game tonight.

Instead people with FTA only get to see a live Brisbane Lions game on another channel.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Wow, channel 9 have dumped the Sunday Footy show from the HD channel. I can't see why, they are only playing some 70's TV show in it's place. Thanks Channel 9 once again!

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnew...n-afl-game-days/2009/05/05/1241289172767.html

Nine wants to be a player on AFL game days

Caroline Wilson | May 6, 2009

THE Nine Network last night revealed its ambition to officially return to the AFL broadcast landscape and confirmed its plans to bid for the football rights beyond 2011.

Despite speculation the next round of broadcast rights - Australia's richest sporting TV deal - was in danger of becoming a one-horse race in free-to-air terms, network boss Jeff Browne told The Age: "Of course we're interested.

"Channel Nine would always be interested in talking to the AFL about their product. We enjoyed having football in the past and we did a very good job with it."

It is understood AFL boss Andrew Demetriou and his deputy, Gillon McLachlan, have completed their first unofficial round of visits to all television networks, including Channel Nine, in a bid to clarify the TV football landscape beyond 2011.

Demetriou has told the networks they would be delivered a more definite scenario of how the home-and away-season would work in broadcast terms should the competition continue to boast eight games a week as part of a 17-team competition in which each club would have two byes in a season. The networks will also be given a clearer picture of how a nine-game round would work should western Sydney have entered the competition by 2012, the first year of a new rights deal.

While manoeuvring has already begun for the significantly less-lucrative radio rights beyond 2009, Channels Seven, Ten and Foxtel have paid a total $780 million to secure the broadcast rights until the end of 2011.

Channels Seven and Ten are believed to have officially committed to bid together next time around as part of a contract signed by the two networks, which could see Nine taking on its two commercial free-to-air rivals.

Nine would appear more likely to team up with Fox Sports given that the pair have already joined forces to purchase the rights for the 2012 London Olympic Games, but that decision has not been made with Foxtel still waiting on Federal Government's moves as far as its pay-TV restrictions are concerned. Currently under the anti-siphoning agreement Foxtel cannot bid in its own right for the AFL's product and under the current agreement purchased its weekly offering of four home-and-away games from Seven and Ten. But that network is pushing for more direct access to more content.

Browne last night pointed out Nine's ongoing commitment to the AFL via the game's long running The Footy Show, the highest rating non-match day AFL program along with the Sunday Footy Show, Monday night's Footy Classified and Nine's latest AFL offering TAC Future Stars to be launched on Sunday.

"I think as a non-rights holder we have continued to demonstrate our commitment to AFL football and we will continue to do so," Browne said.

Negotiations are expected to move to the next stage later this year with no network discounting completely the possibility of all three commercial stations having some AFL product.

pity there's no commitment to the sport you have the rights to

merkins

Pathetic.

No wonder I put PTV back on last week.

But, even now with PTV, you put it on Fox news or sky news, it's all bloody AFL :roll:

Sky news gives me the shytes, most of it has come from ch7, and we all know what ch7 think of RL.

WTF was Packer thinking?

If he loved RL as much as he said he did, he'd have never put eddie frigging everywhere incharge.

A)Eddie is an Ass-Kissing Tool B)He's a major figure in an AFL team and obviously we know what he thinks of Rugby League. Put 2 and 2 together and you've got our own FTA Channel promoting the enemy code.

Nath_Oo

Juniors
And now this week we cant even see Aus v Nz test til 12:30 am sat morning, followed by City Country at 2:30.
Seriously WTF!!!
Channel Nine needs to get serious here, it as an absolute joke.
The Storm v Manly game was bad enough, but an Australian representative game not being shown is going too far. In a sports mad town like Melbourne, it would be watched by heaps of people just for the fact its Australia, even if they dont follow league.
I will be contacting Nine tommorrow to voice my strong 'displeasure' about this issue, and strongly urge all the melb league lovers to do the same.
This cannot continue.
p.s NRL, you need todo somthing about this, you incompetent sacks of crap.

Chook Norris

First Grade
channel 9 don't want the RL to be in direct competition with the AFL, why? because they're wankers and don't want their chances to show AFL the next time round(after next tv contracts) to be hindered.

MsStorm

Bench
And now this week we cant even see Aus v Nz test til 12:30 am sat morning, followed by City Country at 2:30.
Seriously WTF!!!
Channel Nine needs to get serious here, it as an absolute joke.
The Storm v Manly game was bad enough, but an Australian representative game not being shown is going too far. In a sports mad town like Melbourne, it would be watched by heaps of people just for the fact its Australia, even if they dont follow league.
I will be contacting Nine tommorrow to voice my strong 'displeasure' about this issue, and strongly urge all the melb league lovers to do the same.
This cannot continue.
p.s NRL, you need todo somthing about this, you incompetent sacks of crap.

Email Ch.9 and the ARL...seeing its a Test...I did.

So so so sick of them.

Latest posts