What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 Footy Show 2011 - New Year - New Ad - Same Crap

nrlnrl

First Grade
Would love to punch vossy in the face, biggest wanker on channel nines footy roster by far imo. Something about the pricks face shits me, and then he starts talkin...

So much arrogance & it's unoriginal when he starts throwing the cards as though he's Mr Cool. It's been done before & with style or humour - he is just another try hard.

hutch

First Grade
ive never seen the afl footy show before as i hate the game and im usually sound asleep by now, but the tv was on channel 9 after our footy show and i caught the first part of sam newmans intro. he actually mentioned david gallop calling melbournians terrorist's and then mentioned the fans are passionate because they have the best rugby league team in the country, to which the crowd all cheered! thought it was a pretty good touch, the opposite would never happen on our footy show.

my point? not sure, but good to see the response to the storm being mentioned!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
ive never seen the afl footy show before as i hate the game and im usually sound asleep by now, but the tv was on channel 9 after our footy show and i caught the first part of sam newmans intro. he actually mentioned david gallop calling melbournians terrorist's and then mentioned the fans are passionate because they have the best rugby league team in the country, to which the crowd all cheered! thought it was a pretty good touch, the opposite would never happen on our footy show.

I think the other time Slater, Cronk and Smith were in the audience.

Yeah I hate the game but I dont mind the show cause of the entertainment.

They do sometimes mention the Storm on their show, its funny cause AFL gets a mention on the NRL show, as well as Rugby.

undertaker

Coach

Like a few others, I too despise the SPORT of Aussie Rules, but much prefer their version of the Footy Show compared to the NRL one pretty much for the same reasons as others here who also watch the AFL version (i.e. entertainment purposes). Although I used to watch the NRL version regularly from '96 until finishing high school in '05, I did stay up late and watch the AFL version on occasion during school holidays when i was in high school.

Yes, I did watch the 1st hour of the AFL Footy Show and it crapped all over the NRL one. The no holds barred interview Sam did with Shane Warne was gold. Unlike a lot of other media outlets, Sam didn't go easy on Warney. Sam's other interviews with Mick Malthouse, Eddie (yeah, even though he used to be the host of the show, Sam still didn't go easy on him) and Barry Hall were very good. The closest thing the NRL version has come to doing what happened last night was Gus Gould's "masterclass" segments a year or two ago, as well the odd occasion such as when Rabs interviewed Gus after he joined the Panthers' administration. The NRL version needs to make a regular segment like that, where they have someone (not Gus. Andrew Denton would be the ideal person) interview a prominent person in rugby league live in the studio.

However, regarding your post, I did pay close attention to that as Sam mentioned it at the very beginning of his rant which he normally does after he is introduced by Gary, despite the fact that the big talking point that day was the whole saga involving Ross Lyon leaving St Kilda. Sam's a supporter of the Storm and has mentioned them numerous times, even on the radio programme he does on MTR with Steve Price.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
I think the other time Slater, Cronk and Smith were in the audience.

Yeah I hate the game but I dont mind the show cause of the entertainment.

They do sometimes mention the Storm on their show, its funny cause AFL gets a mention on the NRL show, as well as Rugby.

You forgot to mention soccer as well. There was a time where there was a complete wankfest over it (having Harry Kewell on, then Mark Schwarzer, then Tim Cahill etc. etc.).

Although the AFL show has plugged the Storm several times, at least it's been no where near as excessive or gratuitous as what the NRL show has done with AFL (e.g. all those successive weeks where Vossy kept making some sort of reference to it on both "Stuff you may have missed" and also the Sunday Roast, so much so that it infuriated both Gus and MG), Rugby (e.g. using a traitor, Sonny B, to plug a rival code during the State of Origin coverage), Soccer, as well as other sports (e.g. Anthony Mundine/Sonny B with boxing). With the AFL, even if they have made reference to other sports, the audience et al. still feels as thought it's an AFL show, whereas sometimes when you have watched the NRL show, you wouldn't have thought it had anything to do with NRL.

All in all, the ppl at Ch9 involved with NRL have done more promotion for other sports (or I should say, "rival codes") than they have for their own sport, which is the main reason I'd like to see them lose the rights at the end of next year.

Last edited:

eels_fan

First Grade
Hey Keiran Foran

If after living in Australia for 13 years you can say on national TV "Australia just doesn't feel like home" then how bout u f**k off back to NZ!!

timka4

Bench
Hey Keiran Foran

If after living in Australia for 13 years you can say on national TV "Australia just doesn't feel like home" then how bout u f**k off back to NZ!!
I kinda thought it was a bit harsh what he said initially. But I don't think he meant it in that way

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I kinda thought it was a bit harsh what he said initially. But I don't think he meant it in that way

Nah he didn't mean it that way imo. A few sensitive types are taking it a bit to heart.

As someone who has lived almost as long in Australia as New Zealand, I can understand what Foran meant. Wouldn't move back, love it here, married an aussie girl, but when it comes down to it, was born in NZ will always be a kiwi and that's just the way it is.

Latest posts