What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 Footy Show 2011 - New Year - New Ad - Same Crap

Chook Norris

First Grade
What about this week? Or the weeks before the 500? 500 comes around only once. Or can't they count?

the weeks leading up were obviously in anticipation of the 500th episode and to just add to the hype. And what's wrong with showing the old content now? There were some cracking moments in the old episodes..

undertaker

Coach
The show has no content any more. Not that it ever really did. But now they are just replaying crap from years gone by - a lot of it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. I made reference to this exact point in one of my previous posts in this thread.

Since the 500th show, I've noticed that the Footy show has suddenly gone full throttle and decided to make it a regular habit of playing lots of highlights (from "The Vault", as they say) from past episodes, normally picked by someone (in previous weeks they had Mark Geyer, Jason Stevens, Robbo, now they had Tahir tonight). For many years, the show very rarely showed highlights from the past.

After Matty Johns left the show, he barely got a mention. Now, all of sudden, over the last couple of months, they're playing all these highlights involving him on the show in segments like No Talent Time, as well as Reg Reagan and Trent. Even Blocker and Hadley also got featured in some of the highlights a couple of weeks ago when they showed the song parodies in the '90s (yet they were omitted in the "Best of the Footy Show" DVD). It's like the show has suddenly become nostaglic. Even Rabs Warren only made a couple of appearances in '95 (with the YMCA parody and the Pal Meaty Bites anti-ad), and in the last year or so, he has been a regular on the panel. I'm pretty sure he has been on the show a lot this year.

I dunno, what's been happening here?

Spanner in the works

First Grade
the weeks leading up were obviously in anticipation of the 500th episode and to just add to the hype. And what's wrong with showing the old content now? There were some cracking moments in the old episodes..

Are they still hyping after 500? Pretty pathetic IMO.

Old content is crap when you have barely any new content. Replays never rate well...

Spanner in the works

First Grade
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. I made reference to this exact point in one of my previous posts in this thread.

Since the 500th show, I've noticed that the Footy show has suddenly gone full throttle and decided to make it a regular habit of playing lots of highlights (from "The Vault", as they say) from past episodes, normally picked by someone (in previous weeks they had Mark Geyer, Jason Stevens, Robbo, now they had Tahir tonight). For many years, the show very rarely showed highlights from the past.

After Matty Johns left the show, he barely got a mention. Now, all of sudden, over the last couple of months, they're playing all these highlights involving him on the show in segments like No Talent Time, as well as Reg Reagan and Trent. Even Blocker and Hadley also got featured in some of the highlights a couple of weeks ago when they showed the song parodies in the '90s (yet they were omitted in the "Best of the Footy Show" DVD). It's like the show has suddenly become nostaglic. Even Rabs Warren only made a couple of appearances in '95 (with the YMCA parody and the Pal Meaty Bites anti-ad), and in the last year or so, he has been a regular on the panel. I'm pretty sure he has been on the show a lot this year.

I dunno, what's been happening here?

IMO:
  • The show is far too long. They can't produce enough new content to fill the slot well.
  • They don't have their own identity. Is it a show about rugby league, or is it a variety show? Dedicated shows work best.
  • Stale host and stale format.
  • The old dinosaur problem with rugby league, but this time on television. Becoming too much about the past, struggles to move with the times, pulls out the old, "dumb" format to compensate.

Hooch

Juniors
Did you see how pissed he was haha, I really thought he was going to cry or walk off...

Insane.

It's the funniest thing I've seen on that show in yonks. What an old queen Rabs is.

Brohman didn't so much shoot him down as gently pluck his wings, and he almost took his ball and went home. Can't even handle a little chip like that. It's Brohman ffs lol!

undertaker

Coach
Did you see how pissed he was haha, I really thought he was going to cry or walk off...

Insane.

Well, as Billy Birmingham would say, when you've got a face like a red inflamed hemorrhoid after skulling down goodness knows how many thousands of beers (especially during that time he got sacked), what else do you expect?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
What about this week? Or the weeks before the 500? 500 comes around only once. Or can't they count?
IMO:
  • The show is far too long. They can't produce enough new content to fill the slot well.
  • They don't have their own identity. Is it a show about rugby league, or is it a variety show? Dedicated shows work best.
  • Stale host and stale format.
  • The old dinosaur problem with rugby league, but this time on television. Becoming too much about the past, struggles to move with the times, pulls out the old, "dumb" format to compensate.
f**king snore. If you don't like it, why do you watch it?

As for your points...

1. Agree, show could be shorter.
2. They do have their own identity, it's a variety show, a bit of fun on a Thursday night - using Rugby League as it's basis. They said this themselves in the 500th show.
3. Stale host is really a subjective call. I don't like Fatty myself but he's there every week, consistently the same for 18 years. One could argue if they go to a new host it could completely crumble and die.
4. There are other options you do realise? Two One HD shows during the week, plus actual league-talk style shows on Sunday (Footy Show and Roast).

I could understand people flapping on about TFS when there were little/no alternatives but you have choice now - stop watching it if you want it to die, that will send the biggest message to Ch 9.

Joely01

Bench
I actually didnt mind last nights episode, thought it was rather funny with a good amount of serious talk as well.

The perfect partners segment and Fui fui segments are just hilarious...

It's the funniest thing I've seen on that show in yonks. What an old queen Rabs is.

Brohman didn't so much shoot him down as gently pluck his wings, and he almost took his ball and went home. Can't even handle a little chip like that. It's Brohman ffs lol!

LMFAO ! Brohman made him look so senile:lol: but tbh I think tabs deserved to be shot down, because he was rambling on and on, and going no where with his rambling.

Well, as Billy Birmingham would say, when you've got a face like a red inflamed hemorrhoid after skulling down goodness knows how many thousands of beers (especially during that time he got sacked), what else do you expect?

LMAO haha.

timka4

Bench
f**king snore. If you don't like it, why do you watch it?
No matter how many times you say it, people will still watch it every thursday and complain.

I personally like it. It's a bit of fun on a thursday night and like you said with the base being footy. It's good to see the non serious side of footy players as well

Big Pete

Referee
You'd have to be pretty delicate in replacing Fatty, in a lot of ways he is The Footy Show. I definitely think his time has come and it's painfully obvious he doesn't watch enough footy but they need to find an appropriate replacement. Matty Johns seemed logical, I wonder if 9 will be prepared to make ammends?

Latest posts