What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 Footy Show 2011 - New Year - New Ad - Same Crap

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2011/09/nrl-footy-show-grand-final-edition.html

NRL Footy Show: Grand Final edition

By David Knox on September 27, 2011
Filed Under Programming

More sports updates (are we there yet?) this time from the NRL Footy Show‘s Grand Final edition.

Appearing in the finale from Darling Harbour are Hugh Jackman, John Williamson, ACCADACCA, David Gallop, Benji Marshall and Darren Lockyer.

It’s The Footy Show’s Grand Final Show for 2011 and host Paul “Fatty” Vautin and the boys will broadcast from Sydney’s Tumbalong Park in Darling Harbour on Thursday night from 9.30pm on Nine.

Catch “Fatty”, Brad Fittler, Andrew Johns, Darryl Brohman, Mario Fenech, Ray Warren and Footy Show funnymen Beau Ryan and Shane Shackleton in this massive two-hour special broadcast in front of a 3000-strong audience.

In the final Footy Show of the year, superstars Benji Marshall and Darren Lockyer will join the panel, there’ll be a full grand final preview – and David Gallop, the NRL’s CEO, will be a special guest to discuss the season in review with the boys.

Also on this bumper show, Hollywood star Hugh Jackman drops by to talk about his favourite NRL side (Manly) and his excitement leading up to the grand final. He’ll also chat about his new movie, Real Steel.

Manly Sea Eagles co-captain Jamie Lyon and Steve Matai, plus New Zealand Warriors captain Simon Mannering and TBA, will join the show to give their views on the grand final.

Popular cover band ACCADACCA will rock the crowd to AC/DC hits like Dirty Deeds and Shoot To Thrill, while country music great John Williamson premieres his new Men of League Anthem live on stage.

Michelle Mahone, Hollywood gossip and entertainment reporter for the Today show, comes down to Darling Harbour for a chat with the boys while she’s visiting from the United States.

Plus, we’ll see the Best of Beau Knows and Perfect Partners, relive the top five tries of the season, see the best of the big hits, and look back on the great moments of 2011. All that and a full grand final preview – and much, much more.

And to end the evening and The Footy Show’s year on a bang, a fireworks spectacular will bring the curtain down.

9:30pm on Nine Syd / Bris (check local guides elsewhere.)

undertaker

Coach
Anyone got the Rayyyy v Ribot stoush from 95?

Please post.

i've been looking for that as well, but haven't seen it anywhere. I've read a lot about it, but from the looks of things, won't be holding my hopes up high anytime soon that I'll stumble across some footage of it.

I do remember most of those highlights from season '99, most notably the Jeopardy board exploding (one of the best LIVE moments on tv), the song parodies and the bits involving Carl Barron (hahaha! How good was he? So much better than most of the comedians going around on the Australian comedy circuit today). That "final show" of 1999 was the last ever appearance of Blocker before he was sacked, so quite ironic when Fatty said to the panel that he looked forward to seeing them all the following year. Nevertheless, I guess that when some of you watch the Grand Final show tomorrow night, you'll see just how much of a decline the show has taken since then. It'd be quite funny and send a very strong message to Ch9 if, after tomorrow night, the 500th episode ended up being the highest rating show of the year (got 247000 viewers in Sydney). In fact, I think the producers and directors got the message as they have been showing stacks of highlights from years gone by since the 500th show.

On the topic of old episodes, I also stumbled upon this one from 1998. This was a dress-up show (I don't mean the crossdressing that had been done in the early years), promoting the Rocky Horror musical that was touring at the time. I don't ever recall watching this at the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehg-iyxjQpY

On an unrelated note, I've noticed heaps of old highlights from rugby league games posted up on YouTube recently (especially from the 90s). I'm reluctant to post the links here as I'm aware the NRL have taken down numerous videos in the past.

wittyfan

Referee
Channel 9 sell old footage from their archives on DVD, it costs $93.50 per segment but that might be the best way to get the Hadley/Ribot incident.

Also I hope they do a players revue tomorrow night, the best one was in 2007 when Farah and Halatau did a strip to Nelly's "Hot in Herre".

Anyone got the Rayyyy v Ribot stoush from 95?

Please post.

Been looking for that, as well as the infamous Footy Show incident with Mario Fen-ech throwing the typewriter at a tweed hat wearing Vossy during his Around The Grounds segment when making fun of "What's Doing".

Have searched high and low through video sites and the like and can't find 'em.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
Been looking for that, as well as the infamous Footy Show incident with Mario Fen-ech throwing the typewriter at a tweed hat wearing Vossy during his Around The Grounds segment when making fun of "What's Doing".

Have searched high and low through video sites and the like and can't find 'em.

it was his book Personal Best IIRC

it was his book Personal Best IIRC

Yeah, I think you're right. What's Doing was published on August 2001, and Personal Best was published in November 1993. That incident occurred I believe around 1999.

Useless fact No. 47 - A friend of mine gave me a copy of What's Doing for my birthday back ten years ago as a gee up...still gathering dust on the book shelf :lol:

undertaker

Coach
Thanks for the links mate. After viewing one of the Anti Ads made back then, lucky Harry Connick Jr. wasn't a guest on the show......

Is there a specific anti-ad that you are referring to? At first, when you mentioned Harry Connick Jr., I thought you were going to say the one where Fatty did blackface in some McDonalds anti-ad with Mario, but that was in 2001 (edit: this is it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOUSOEydt3I)

But if you want to go back nearly 10 years earlier than that, this would DEFINITELY provoke good old Harry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4mmraXp5nA

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Yeah, I think you're right. What's Doing was published on August 2001, and Personal Best was published in November 1993. That incident occurred I believe around 1999.

Useless fact No. 47 - A friend of mine gave me a copy of What's Doing for my birthday back ten years ago as a gee up...still gathering dust on the book shelf :lol:

But, I remember there was a clip (which also appears on the "Best of" DVD) where Mario interviewed Patrick Swayze and at the end of the interview, Mario was promoting one of his books. Which one would that have been?

Is there a specific anti-ad that you are referring to? At first, when you mentioned Harry Connick Jr., I thought you were going to say the one where Fatty did blackface in some McDonalds anti-ad with Mario, but that was in 2001.

But if you want to go back nearly 10 years earlier than that, this would definitely provoke good old Harry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4mmraXp5nA

From 19:28 of Part 2. Personally I pissed myself laughing at the skit but could imagine the outrage from the media if they 'painted up' like that today.