What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 not keen on going live for Melbourne Storm's blockbusters or any NRL finals

Should 9 be sold the rights to Rugby League again?

• Yes

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 124 94.7%

• Total voters

typicalfan

Coach
Have to say, I am a massive Dan Ginnane fan. He is just a guy who is passionate about the game, and not himself, unlike horsehead.

HHH

Juniors
i know its not the best quality but when im in melbourne for business i watch all my footy on the web on a web stream.

the way i see it they dont care about me so why should i care about them

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Personally I am really disgusted at the acts by the Storm fans who have gone and abused the club about this. It is not in the club's control what the broadcasters do, obviously the club doesn't own the broadcast rights so they can't negotiate. Channel 9 have the list of what they can or can't show and according to it there is x amount of games they can show and apparently for Melbourne they have reached this quota already so will not show anything more then this.

League in Melbourne is still fighting an internal war with the AFL in all areas, sponsors, broadcast, fans...etc. Perhaps the nature of it might change (Storm's had I think three record crowds this year? Maybe four...I know they had it vs Warriors, Knights and Dragons...this year can't remember if the Broncos one was a big draw card or if the previous season's last home game was the big drawcard) but until then a lot of what goes in is not not up to the club.

This I thin is one of the problems of having media control the sporting product, because now the media has more say in what they believe fits best, and for Melbourne they know AFL rates high then any other sport and will push for what the audience (well majority of the audience) wants. Unfortunately league doesn't rate that well in Melbourne. Sure Storm fans might argue this but the reality is pretty obvious. Just about every AFL game I've seen on tv (I've never attended an AFL game out of interest, only because I used to work at the MCG....) are sold out. How often are the Storm games sold out and how often do big crowd turns up? Many have been less then 10,000 some you might get 11-12 depending on opposition too.

And it doesn't help that the idiot Collingwoood guy...Eddie...?? What's his face has a lot to do with Channel9, or rather nearly anything media related in Melbourne...

PS - currently studying Bachelor of Business (Sport Management) and one of my subjects at the moment is Sport Media. Interesting stuff.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
I'd suggest his sports media studies are not going well reading that effort! :)

LOL, I'm still learning the subject, duh. Obviously I don't know that much about it yet. And it's my first year, 2nd semester and I haven't done any serious studying in 10 years.

By the way why do you immediately assume its a guy? Maybe you should check before you make assumption about a person's gender and jumping to conclusions.

Unless of course you are assuming only smart females are allowed to post

'. Unfortunately league doesn't rate that well in Melbourne.'

Hate that excuse considering the ratings the Swans, Lions/Suns get in there respective states are pretty poor yet the network still shows them live no matter what there position on the ladder, no matter how badly they rate all Storm supporters are asking is for something that should be mandatory to all local teams in each state which is live coverage no matter the code. Pure and simple.

elbusto

Coach
Personally I am really disgusted at the acts by the Storm fans who have gone and abused the club about this. It is not in the club's control what the broadcasters do, obviously the club doesn't own the broadcast rights so they can't negotiate. Channel 9 have the list of what they can or can't show and according to it there is x amount of games they can show and apparently for Melbourne they have reached this quota already so will not show anything more then this.

League in Melbourne is still fighting an internal war with the AFL in all areas, sponsors, broadcast, fans...etc. Perhaps the nature of it might change (Storm's had I think three record crowds this year? Maybe four...I know they had it vs Warriors, Knights and Dragons...this year can't remember if the Broncos one was a big draw card or if the previous season's last home game was the big drawcard) but until then a lot of what goes in is not not up to the club.

This I thin is one of the problems of having media control the sporting product, because now the media has more say in what they believe fits best, and for Melbourne they know AFL rates high then any other sport and will push for what the audience (well majority of the audience) wants. Unfortunately league doesn't rate that well in Melbourne. Sure Storm fans might argue this but the reality is pretty obvious. Just about every AFL game I've seen on tv (I've never attended an AFL game out of interest, only because I used to work at the MCG....) are sold out. How often are the Storm games sold out and how often do big crowd turns up? Many have been less then 10,000 some you might get 11-12 depending on opposition too.

And it doesn't help that the idiot Collingwoood guy...Eddie...?? What's his face has a lot to do with Channel9, or rather nearly anything media related in Melbourne...

PS - currently studying Bachelor of Business (Sport Management) and one of my subjects at the moment is Sport Media. Interesting stuff.
I assume this is a joke?

elbusto

Coach
LOL, I'm still learning the subject, duh. Obviously I don't know that much about it yet. And it's my first year, 2nd semester and I haven't done any serious studying in 10 years.

By the way why do you immediately assume its a guy? Maybe you should check before you make assumption about a person's gender and jumping to conclusions.

Unless of course you are assuming only smart females are allowed to post
If you pass any subject you are studying we can only assume education is dead.

Billythekid

First Grade
Unfortunately league doesn't rate that well in Melbourne. Sure Storm fans might argue this but the reality is pretty obvious.

Just about every AFL game I've seen on tv (I've never attended an AFL game out of interest, only because I used to work at the MCG....) are sold out. How often are the Storm games sold out and how often do big crowd turns up? Many have been less then 10,000 some you might get 11-12 depending on opposition too.

We're talking about tv ratings only, crowds are irrelevant so i'm not sure why you would bring them up to try and talk the NRL down.

As for the NRL not rating, we have already seen that the storm can rate. We got 86K on a Sunday up against the AFL and facing a low drawing opponent with no advertising and no regular timeslot. We have also seen the storm get something like 200K a few years back against the tigers.

There is no question whatsoever that we can rate better than the stuff they have on secondary channels and i think we could compete with 2 and a half men.

I'm actually stunned that someone could buy the BS that channel 9 likes to spout.

Edit: And before anyone responds and says the old line "if it rates then 9 would show it" i would argue there is a reason that channel 9 is getting belted by 7 this year.

docbrown

Coach
A bit of a read but:

I don’t care what code you follow and I don’t care what part of the country you come from. For years we’ve been sold a story by the free to air networks. They’ve lobbied governments, spent millions on advertising and preached from the hilltops that access to high quality sports coverage should be available to all Australians.

Yet it seems they are indeed just words. For when the push has come to shove, Channel Nine has failed its sporting audience time and time again.

Firstly, Nine has failed to fulfil its promise of HD coverage of all major sporting events. When GEM was announced, the promise made to fans was to cater for women’s programming and high quality sporting coverage – a fact it still advertises on its frequent TV spots and website.

Furthermore Nine were the main network driving the push behind 3D technology. Yet like HD sports coverage, Nine has left fans in static once again. Could it be that this was just a push organised in conjunction with a major electronics retailer in order to flog their stock of expensive 3D TV’s?

It is officially recognised under the Wide World of Sports flagship that cricket and rugby league are the network’s regular recurring priority sports. Yet this year Nine’s inconsistent programming policy has seen rugby league fans left in the wilderness.

Times for State of Origin games outside of New South Wales and Queensland altered with every match. The Rabbitohs vs Broncos game was denied coverage in Perth. When quizzed, Nine officially announced that the Federal Government had turned down their request for digital coverage - a request Senator Conroy’s office later denied receiving. Nine’s retort? It was the fault of their subsidiary, Win TV. Again though this still doesn’t explain why Win TV Perth would falsely claim to have made an official request.

The coverage of Storm games in Melbourne this year has also been substandard.
When a handful of Sunday matches have been aired, they have so as a last minute decision (or made to appear as such) with only a few days notice and little to no advertising. In addition, last week’s Storm vs Dragons match up was also denied live coverage. Nine’s official response: it affects the home gate, so the game was shunted to 12:30 am (despite being promised to be played before midnight).

Now this week’s game has also been blocked by Nine. And there’s the rub, for this game shapes up to be a potential grand final preview, a top of the table clash and a Storm away game to boot. Seemingly having run out of their litany of excuses, Nine has taken the religious route and is maintaining a vow of silence. However the fans are no longer silent. Having come out of the woodwork, the Channel 9 & Wide World of Sports facebook and twitter accounts have taken a major hammering. Whilst it seems that messages are being deleted and users have been banned from posting, it also appears the growing tide of anger is unmanageable from a public relations perspective. Nine’s plan at the moment seems to be to simply let time pass, let this round pass and pray that the anger subsides.

But the fact remains that this has been an ongoing problem with Channel Nine and it won’t be long before the fans are duped once more. Perhaps they should spend less money on anti-subscription fear campaigns and more on providing access to high quality sports coverage for all Australians.

gUt

Coach
Well said. The NRL needs to recognize that history merely colours the future but doesn't dictate it. Any warm feelings that the NRL has towards Rabs et al need to count for half of f**k all. It's time the game's leaders stood up and demanded at least equal treatment from its broadcast partners that the Victorian code has received for decades. This should not come at the cost of a reduced deal but should be a jumping off point for negotiations. You want to show our game because of its exceptional and consistent ratings performance in Australia's biggest markets? f**king show it then merkins. AND f**king pay for the privilege, merkins.

Latest posts