What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 not keen on going live for Melbourne Storm's blockbusters or any NRL finals

Should 9 be sold the rights to Rugby League again?

• Yes

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 124 94.7%

• Total voters

Sgt. Kabukiman

Juniors
Can't stand ads on FTA? Get Foxtel. Personally I don't mind ads in a live game, if it means league gets the billion dollar contract.

What's the point of signing a $1 billion contract if it's at the expense of the quality of the product shown on TV? The point of getting more money is so we can expand and grow the game - well, the best way of doing that is to put the best possible product on the tube. Filling the coverage full of ads and destroying the flow of the game will do harm that a couple of million extra bucks won't be able to repair.

Brutus

Referee
One thing that makes me cringe in all of this is when I hear fumbleball fans living in Brisbane and Sydney still complaining that they are not receiving enough FTA coverage of their game in those cities.

A fumbleball fan living in Brisbane and Sydney gets better coverage on FTA than friggin RL fans do. They get two, sometimes three live games a weekend plus a couple more on delay. All special event games like ANZAC Day ect are shown live in Brisb and Syd as well, something RL fans miss out on.

Plus they get live Fri night games on Foxtel Main Event - AND THEY STILL WHINGE.

Billythekid

First Grade
It's frustrating reading all these people on facebook because the people who actually have some influence just stay silent.

Where the f*ck are all these people to come out and stand for the game? Where's Gould, Gallop, Hadley, Voss, Geyer or any of the big name people involved in our sport.

Get out there and publicly shame channel 9 to get the game shown. This is having a massive impact on the future of our sport.

Mr Twig

Where the f*ck are all these people to come out and stand for the game? Where's Gould, Gallop, Hadley, Voss, Geyer or any of the big name people involved in our sport.
lol except Gallop, they're all associated with Nine.

I hate to bring a level of common sense to this thread, but the truth is sitcom repeats and ancient movies rate better than Storm games in Melbourne.

I don't see too many offers from rival networks to take the coverage in Melbourne. Nine would have to pay the other networks/Foxtel to show it.

Sgt. Kabukiman

Juniors
It's frustrating reading all these people on facebook because the people who actually have some influence just stay silent.

Get out there and publicly shame channel 9 to get the game shown. This is having a massive impact on the future of our sport.

Would you be willing to bag out your employer in public? I'm sure those who work for Nine can have more influence over scheduling by staying on the payroll and taking up the issue behind the scenes, rather than getting fired by blowing up about in front of everyone.

Gallop has absolutely no excuse for being the weak-as-piss cretin he is, though. Anybody who thinks he's done a good job leading the NRL must drink Pine-O-Clean for kicks.

Slammin_Saint89

Juniors
lol except Gallop, they're all associated with Nine.

I hate to bring a level of common sense to this thread, but the truth is sitcom repeats and ancient movies rate better than Storm games in Melbourne.

I don't see too many offers from rival networks to take the coverage in Melbourne. Nine would have to pay the other networks/Foxtel to show it.

Years ago the sitcoms did outrate. But not anymore, storms supporter group is slowly but surely growing.

docbrown

Coach

Geyer:

"Yes I am a rugby league fan. And I don't have a contract with 9. But like you am disappointed on the time shown....."

Voss/Gould/Hadley - :-$

docbrown

Coach
If anyone's going to be in The Footy Show audience or knows anyone who is, it'd be nice if they shouted it out a couple of times.

Mr Twig

If anyone's going to be in The Footy Show audience or knows anyone who is, it'd be nice if they shouted it out a couple of times.

Fatty might come out with breaking news "YOU CRASHED OUR FACEBOOK AND WE LISTENED, SEA EAGLES V STORM WILL NOW BE LIVE!"

it's your only hope now

LESStar58

Referee
Geyer:

"Yes I am a rugby league fan. And I don't have a contract with 9. But like you am disappointed on the time shown....."

Voss/Gould/Hadley - :-$

I saw Geyer on Can of Worms. That struck me as odd.

Won't hear a peep from Bolts. He hates Storm.

undertaker

Coach
478657-david-gallop.jpg

This is what Mr Gallop said when quizzed on radio in 2008 about the use it or lose it issue.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=201845&highlight=use+it+OR+lose+it+gallop+sbs

Here's the transcript from the David Gallop talkback segment on 2SM today.

Nick: I just want to ask you a question regarding the coverage of Melbourne Storm games. I'm reminded of an article on the 28th of April titled "Angry Gallop Threat to 9 Use It or Lose It", it was basically about Channel 9 Melbourne's inability to broadcast, or choosing not to broadcast Melbourne Storm matches at a decent time. Now that was on the 28th of April last year, what I want to now is that why more than 13 months later nothing seems to have been done about this, despite the fact the Storm have been going scintillatingly brilliant over the last few years their fans can't even watch their team at a decent time.

Mr Gallop: Yeah they've certainly improved things and and um I guess Origin is an example of of Nine in Melbourne committing to live Origin. Ummm we ....ahhhhh... saw the start of the of the year with um Melbourne Storm actually being live... ummm... we're always pushing for it, but the fact is Channel 9 want something on on Friday night that is going to rate and ahhh we're continuing to build interest in the game but we're not quite at a point where we can expect to be in prime time.

Nick: Sorry, I'll just quickly say that in this article Mr Gallop you have said that the possibility of ABC or SBS possibly televising matches if Channel 9 wasn't able to meet that commitment.

Mr Gallop: Yeah and they are now meeting their contractual commitment. Umm of course we'd like it to be on earlier, but ahh you know it's not possible at the moment.

Graeme: Thank you Nick

:lol::lol:Good to see that someone remembered what I said back in 2008. Keep up the good work guys:clap:

Oh, and LOL at the "ummm....ahhhhh...." part. Still remember he sounded like he was crapping himself

Last edited:

Latest posts