What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 not keen on going live for Melbourne Storm's blockbusters or any NRL finals

Should 9 be sold the rights to Rugby League again?

• Yes

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 124 94.7%

• Total voters

Brutus

Referee
Have to say, I am a massive Dan Ginnane fan. He is just a guy who is passionate about the game, and not himself, unlike horsehead.

Agree. He has the perfect voice to be a head RL commentator as well.

None of this helium-sucking Terry Kennedy rubbish.

Brutus

Referee
The Storm have attracted great TV numbers for their grand finals in the past.

Why then does Channel 9 in Melb show the game and cut off the post-match preso?

It seems even with great ratings they still f**k the game over.

juro

Bench
What are the typical ratings for shows on Friday nights in Melbourne on 9, go, gem?

hutch

First Grade
The last union test rated appallingly on gem, but it's on again this week.

They just seem to have a massive agenda against rugby league. It's so obvious it's almost criminal!

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Here's weeks the last month or so on Friday on Nine (nevermind GO/GEM)

Rnk Description Stn Network Sydney Melbourne Brisbane Adelaide Perth
28 Two And A Half Men -Fri Ep 1 Nine 283,000 *** 163,000 *** 66,000 55,000
30 Two And A Half Men -Fri Ep 2 Nine 255,000 *** 146,000 *** 67,000 42,000

34 CSI: Crime Scene Investigation -Fri Nine 238,000 *** 121,000 *** 79,000 38,000
44 The Mentalist -Fri Nine 215,000 *** 110,000 *** 65,000 40,000

50 The Mentalist Nine 204,000 *** 107,000 *** 50,000 47,000
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation Nine 194,000 *** 104,000 *** 47,000 44,000

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation -Fri Nine 193,000 *** 114,000 *** 52,000 27,000
CSI: Miami -Fri Nine 156,000 *** 87,000 *** 36,000 33,000

So all we can tell from this is that sitcom repeats do better than CSI/Mentalist repeats. I would think that a near live Storm/Eagles would probably beat the CSI/Mentalist numbers, or at least be close to them, especially if they're getting 80k on a Sunday afternoon.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
The last union test rated appallingly on gem, but it's on again this week.

They just seem to have a massive agenda against rugby league. It's so obvious it's almost criminal!

And it's so obvious why.

Rugby league is the great challenger to AFL on the Aussie football stage.

Our TV ratings are better than them and we are number one in 2 of the 3 biggest states in the country.

Keeping RL out of the mainstream in the southern states is very high on the agenda for those under the AFL spell.

docbrown

Coach
Look if this game were to be aired and promoted, a 1 v 2 clash live on Nine on a Friday night in Melbourne has the potential to pull 250,000 if not smash the 300,000 mark.

I can tell you one thing. Despite all this, Nine would be secretly hoping for a STORM vs TIGERS grand final.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Really? I would think Nine would have more invested in a Brisbane v. Sydney team final. Imagine all the hype they could get with a week to promote Lockyers last game? QLD ratings would be through the roof.

docbrown

Coach
Really? I would think Nine would have more invested in a Brisbane v. Sydney team final. Imagine all the hype they could get with a week to promote Lockyers last game? QLD ratings would be through the roof.

Well it'd get a dream run in Brisbane but do little in Melbourne.

A Melbourne vs Sydney game gets the benefit of appealing to both Victorians and Queenslanders give the players involved. Plus the whole 'redemption' stuff etc.

And of the Sydney teams, although Dragons have the largest fan base, Tigers would generate more interest.

babyg

Juniors
Considering that afl have gone to lengths to lock out civilians from playing sports on grounds they have contributed funding to what lengths do you think they have gone to lock out their main challenger in their own market.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Who agreed to this shit 4 years ago. ???

there weren't multichannels 4 years ago

there are now and Conroy would have allowed 9 to show it on GEM or Go

9 do not want to show RL in Melbourne though

they willbe showing Union on GEM tomorrow night and it's also on Fox Sports

9 won't allow Fox to show the Storm live either

9 are merkins and should never ever be sold the rights again

beave

Coach
Why do you think they are doing it El D?

I think they are doing it knowing that the ratings will be excellent and know full well they will lose the argument that showing the game down in VIC at a decent hour and won't have much bargaining power against the NRL come deal time next year.

But that's the inner tin foiler in me saying that.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Why do you think they are doing it El D?

I think they are doing it knowing that the ratings will be excellent and know full well they will lose the argument that showing the game down in VIC at a decent hour and won't have much bargaining power against the NRL come deal time next year.

But that's the inner tin foiler in me saying that.

The station is run by Victorians and Victorians will look after their fav sport.

Latest posts