What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 not keen on going live for Melbourne Storm's blockbusters or any NRL finals

Should 9 be sold the rights to Rugby League again?

• Yes

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 124 94.7%

• Total voters

dollyhands

Juniors
When do the ratings for the illegal stream come out. Wouldn't that be interesting.
I'm sure the ratings would be better than 2 n a half men and growing by the week after looking at nine's facebook page through the week. By the way; What is the legality of the streams and who is held responsible??

Billythekid

First Grade
Maybe it's better it's not on. What a great advertisement for the game, those dog shots really make us look bad.

beave

Coach
Maybe it's better it's not on. What a great advertisement for the game, those dog shots really make us look bad.

Rubbish, if VICs don't want to watch men belting each other and playing a gladitorial sport than they can go and watch................................... AFL???????

docbrown

Coach
Rubbish, if VICs don't want to watch men belting each other and playing a gladitorial sport than they can go and watch................................... AFL???????

Indeed. I'd say that's a big part of the attraction given how soft AFL has become.

docbrown

Coach
Though once news gets out you can be sure any rematch (if it happens) in the finals would be massive in Victoria.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Indeed. I'd say that's a big part of the attraction given how soft AFL has become.

indeed eg http://www.foxsports.com.au/tvguide/fox-sports-news/sarah-jones/story-fn5k3wud-1111115931566

Sarah Jones

FOX SPORTS
March 31, 2008 12:00AM

Sarah Jones is a presenter on FOX SPORTS News based in Melbourne.

Sarah started with FOX SPORTS News in November 2006, after five years at FOX Footy where she worked as a news reporter on nospam29 and news presenter/producer on Saturday Central.

Sarah previously worked as a production assistant with Channel Seven on 'Sportsworld', the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games and 1999 and 2000 Australian Open Tennis broadcasts.

Earlier this year, Sarah was a part of FOXTEL's commentary team for the Vancouver Olympic Winter Games, and was a regular boundary reporter during coverage of the KFC Twenty20 Big Bash.

Sarah is an avid AFL supporter, whose grandfather Jack Jones played 175 Games with Essendon from 1946-1954, including seven grand finals across that time.

She graduated from RMIT with a Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism with honours, and counts Lance Armstrong, Usain Bolt, LeBron James and Rebecca Adlington among those she would most like to interview.

Sarah Jones Q&A

Who Is the most memorable sportsperson you've interviewed?

Growing up my hero was Kieren Perkins. His famous win in Atlanta is without a doubt my favourite sporting moment! It would have been unbelievable to interview him straight after that swim... but I was only 14. However I did interview him at the recent World Championships in Melbourne - a career highlight!

Who is the person you would most like to interview?

There's so many! Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Tom Brady, David Beckham. All the icons I suppose! And I think Marion Jones would make a fascinating interview after all she's been through recently.

What is your funniest or most embarrassing moment?

While interviewing an AFL coach a gust of wind blew my skirt up!

If you could change one rule in sport, what would it be?

This is not politically correct but I hate the rule against melees in AFL. There's nothing like a good all in brawl!
I also would get rid of the interpretation of the hands in the back rule... as long as players aren't shoved out of the contest, it's fair game in my book.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Ah, all the same to me.

this is the one

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/05/27/1148524934110.html?from=top5"]http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/05/27/1148524934110.html

NRL offers little cheer for women
May 28, 2006

Rugby league is a long way from a women-friendly spectator sport, writes Samantha Lane

WORD is that the National Rugby League is looking to officially recognise the contribution of women to its game, AFL-style. But before the NRL considers bells, whistles and pink ribbons, it would do well to start with some analysis of match-day happenings, where there is a change screaming out to be made.

It's a change that might not please every spectator, but one that would go miles to creating a more inclusive environment for women.

As an uninitiated spectator at last Wednesday's state-of-origin match, I didn't expect to leave Sydney's Telstra Stadium with an expert understanding of the subtleties of a foreign code. Nor did I expect such an in-your-face experience that demonstrated, in the starkest of ways, the great contrast in AFL and NRL crowd culture.

An initial observation was a welcome, if not coincidental, one, noted in the ladies' toilets pre-match. There were no queues. Outside, it was also difficult to spot the women, particularly the 20-somethings, which might go some way to explaining the leering attention directed at my companion as we walked to our seats.

The pre-match entertainment was standard modern-day sporting event fare — fireworks, throbbing nightclub music and an anthem rendition — until the cheerleaders filed out. A dozen or so women, sparkling pompoms in hands and clad in lycra hotpants, bikini tops and knee-high boots, began a routine of body rolls, general bumping and grinding and booty shaking. This was not a demonstration in contortionism, acrobatics or even wonderful flexibility. It was showgirl dancing.

It was some relief when play began. That was until the cheerleading brigade split into groups and, in different directions, made their way around separate sides of the ground while play continued. Throughout their trek around the boundary, they were wolf whistled and cheered at wildly. They waved and smiled.

At half-time, the troupe returned for an encore centre-stage performance. There was more crowd hooting and, unable to recall feeling more alienated or ostracised at a sporting event, I wondered what the other young, female, prospective league fans in the audience were thinking. What was welcoming about this environment?

On Thursday night, the MCG was almost completely filled for a one-off sporting special with a festive bunch of ladies and gents. They watched the Matildas play before the Socceroos. The Mexican wave and the odd flare were the only distractions from play.

On Friday night, it was business as usual. Collingwood played the Western Bulldogs and, completely unprompted, my accomplice for that night — attending just her third AFL match — commented on how "wholesome" an experience she thought it was. Men, women, kids, parents, grandparents, thermoses, sandwiches and rugs. Random ruffians of course, but at this game a man named Joffa was the only cheerleader dressed in sequins.

Just as the AFL controls what happens on its game days — and it must be noted that, for reasons that require explanation, cheerleaders still form part of the pre-match before Adelaide games — the NRL can authorise what and what won't form part of its contests.

If the cheerleaders don't go, no amount of well-intentioned, girl-power window dressing will convince anyone that the establishment is taking women seriously.

El Diablo

Post Whore
funny she later wrote this

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-boys-club-20110306-1bjl9.html

AFL boys' club
Samantha Lane
March 7, 2011

THE AFL's longest-serving female director has accused the league of being ''wimpish'' in its response to the teenager who claims she had sexual encounters with player manager Ricky Nixon.

Knight, a director at Essendon for 17 years before standing down at the end of 2010, was backed by some of football's most influential women.

The women are concerned by the league's handling of the damaging affair and questioned the meaning of the AFL's Respect and Responsibility policy.

Recurring themes in their criticism were that football heavyweights had tried to discredit the teenager, had initially taken a ''shoot-the-messenger'' approach to the story, and that AFL boss Andrew Demetriou's public response was inadequate.

Knight, who said she felt liberated to speak her mind after stepping down at Essendon, suspects a boys' club mentality has thus far protected Nixon, who stands to have his agents' licence revoked following an investigation by Queen's Counsel David Galbally. Nixon arrived back in Melbourne last night to face the investigation, and said he would be at his Flying Start office working today.

''The AFL and the whole AFL family are a very powerful force. Why have they come down like a ton of bricks on a 17-year-old girl? Basically it was shooting the messenger, wasn't it?'' Knight said, lamenting an apparent regression to traditional methods of crisis management that the AFL has previously said it wants to update.

''They've got all these policies in place for God's sake, and they want to believe in them, but where they've needed to be strong and vocal in support of their policies I think they've been wimpish.

''I think football's tried to make her [the teenager] into a nutcase and it hasn't come out in support of its policies, and it needs to do that with voices, like the NRL is currently doing with match-fixing.

''A really disappointing thing for me is that there hasn't been a woman's voice from the AFL to come out in this whole sorry saga, in particular when it changed and became focused on Ricky Nixon. Then it became an even stronger closed shop.

''Andrew [Demetriou] said he was very disappointed but I would have thought Andrew would have been disgusted - a much stronger word than disappointed.''

Latest posts