What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 not keen on going live for Melbourne Storm's blockbusters or any NRL finals

Should 9 be sold the rights to Rugby League again?

• Yes

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 124 94.7%

• Total voters

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whats the bet if you are anywhere overseas, you will be able to watch the games live on the NRL.com website.

and again, non NSW & QLD fans will not be allowed the same privilige. A few years ago, my partners father was in Manila watching NRL live, he called us to let us know how he was going and gave me the halftime score. I was staying up waiting for the telecast to f**king start in Melbourne.

btw - he gave me the score at halftime in the second game. I was still almost 2 hours from seeing the start of the FIRST game. And he was in MANILA!

This is f**kED!!!!!!!

El Diablo

Post Whore
I wasn't.

@leilamckinnon Leila, you're an NRL fan. Do you know that people in Victoria will not see any of the Finals live prior to the Grand Final?

@leilamckinnon how are we supposed to support the game, our fans and @channel9 if they won't do a single thing for us? How is this fair?

you would have been best saying 9 Melbourne refused to even ask for an exemption show it live on a multichannel

7 obviously are not contracted to show AFL live in Syd and Bris on a multichannel as they didn't exist when they did their last TV rights deal

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
tbh, I doubt she'll even read it.

This is the bit I hate the most. You complain politely with justified arguments, they give you a bullshit answer, always related to ratings and fob you off.

You get irate and angry, they just fob you off.

No matter what you do or try, they don't care, they're not interested, and no matter what you say, suggest or do, they won't change their stance.

It's futile battle, that's what angers me the most, the utter contempt shown to potential viewers, banging on their door saying "I WANT TO WATCH YOUR STATION!!!" and they aren't interested.

It's been abundantly clear for many years now, that ratings is not the reason why 9 won't show NRL live outside NSW & QLD.

It's not about devaluing the game for the rights, there's a hidden agenda behind that and I believe it is AFL driven.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well bugger me, I got a response

oh no that's awful, maybe not enough people in VIC want to watch it? I don't think we can afford to show things that don't rate.

I replied with:

sadly, it's hard to know the answer to that question, because all of 9's NRL content is shown after midnight

the big issue is, 9 has decided to show the union WC, they should allow Fox to show NRL Finals live as the 2 will be clashing

El Diablo

Post Whore
Well bugger me, I got a response

oh no that's awful, maybe not enough people in VIC want to watch it? I don't think we can afford to show things that don't rate.

I replied with:

sadly, it's hard to know the answer to that question, because all of 9's NRL content is shown after midnight

the big issue is, 9 has decided to show the union WC, they should allow Fox to show NRL Finals live as the 2 will be clashing

why not mention they won't show it on the multichannel but have done for RU and instead are showing 20 year old repeats?

Last edited:

Whoosh

Juniors
I'll be in Sri Lanka for most of the final series and will be able to see every game live on Setanta (subscription is 99c per month). If I was back in Melbourne, well, you know the rest........

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
what chance LU could stream the game live and then announce how many people watched it. Might be a good way to determine just how many people want live NRL.

Billythekid

First Grade
If they had showed the dragons and Manly game i think they would have rated higher than what these finals will (due to the competition).

Latest posts