What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 not keen on going live for Melbourne Storm's blockbusters or any NRL finals

Should 9 be sold the rights to Rugby League again?

• Yes

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 124 94.7%

• Total voters

docbrown

Coach
If I could steal 86,000 news lead in viewers in Melbourne away from 7 or 10, then I'd put in on my digital channel without hesitation.

Nine are just idiots.

Mr Twig

There is no excuse for Melbourne or Perth. The ratings in both cities have proved time and again there is an audience. Why a TV station would want to deliberately sabotage its schedling to get lower audiences is something I would be asking if I was a Ch9 shareholder!

Storm got 86,000 in Melbourne

Last week, Nine News @ 5 and Postcards got 155,000

They're getting lower audiences by showing Storm games.

hutch

First Grade

86k with no promotion all week, all season, all year and all of the storms history. imagine how many they could get if they were shown every week, or if channel 9 actually planned ahead and advertised their sport.

nice try anyway!

Stormsally

Juniors
Even on game day on the full page NRL page half way through the Sunday sports section they still had the broadcast time as 11:55pm.

It was a big weekend of AFL footy in Melbourne with several of the 'big' clubs in the finals. It rated well considering it was 1 v 8.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Very strong ratings for the Storm considering no promotion of it.

Again Storm in Melbourne without promotion > Swans in Sydney with promotion.

AuckMel

Bench
86k with no promotion all week, all season, all year and all of the storms history. imagine how many they could get if they were shown every week, or if channel 9 actually planned ahead and advertised their sport.

nice try anyway!

Make no mistake, 86k is an outstanding figure taking everything into account.

There will be plenty spewing with this result.

juro

Bench
Does that mean Melbourne get a delayed AFL game on Friday, while Sydney gets it live? And it is delayed so they can watch Home & Away???

big_matt

Juniors
There is no excuse for Melbourne or Perth. The ratings in both cities have proved time and again there is an audience. Why a TV station would want to deliberately sabotage its schedling to get lower audiences is something I would be asking if I was a Ch9 shareholder!

9 are petty and small minded - a throwback to the old days of tv.

They would rather get destroyed in the ratings than get narrowly beaten by putting up 'their' sport against another sport.

Most modern tv stations around the world see building for future audience numbers as integral to what they are doing (i.e. they'll take a hit now so that in 5 years time they have a winner) but 9 only sees this weeks numbers.

I'm not even how they are allowed to call themselves the wide world of sports when 4 year old repeats of 2 and a half men is shown regularly before huge games from one of Australia's biggest sports. Very strange.

so i stand corrected melbourne isnt the sporting capital of australia its now sydney or brisbane

seems during afl season people in vic dont care about any other sport they would rather watch postcards :lol:

Brutus

Referee

Do you think those shows would have got 155k up against a Carlton V Essendon semi like the Storm match was?

El Diablo

Post Whore
not from what i can see

9 Melbourne are showing Yawnion live on GEM and delayed on 9. the NRL not on till 1:30am

big_matt

Juniors
so i stand corrected melbourne isnt the sporting capital of australia its now sydney or brisbane

seems during afl season people in vic dont care about any other sport they would rather watch postcards :lol:

Wait...have I got this right:

The sports capital of Australia is the place where the most people sit in their armchairs watching games on tv?

I would have thought its the place with the most people attendin or taking part in sports.

Latest posts