What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 not keen on going live for Melbourne Storm's blockbusters or any NRL finals

Should 9 be sold the rights to Rugby League again?

• Yes

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 124 94.7%

• Total voters

Perth Red

Post Whore
Never the less the (mis) preception is that AFL is a National game whilst NRL is played in two places with a token team in Melbourne. When we get Perth in and take more games on the road to SA and NT plus game the game on TV nationally then we might start to change that perception.

Tommax25

Bench
You are right ..it should be 99/07/09.. thanks for pointing that out to me.:D

This attitude is why people are getting pissed off about the Bellamy speech stuff. You have won one premiership, your name is wrong because you mention a year when the storm didn't win anything.

LESStar58

Referee
This attitude is why people are getting pissed off about the Bellamy speech stuff. You have won one premiership, your name is wrong because you mention a year when the storm didn't win anything.

Settle down, princess. I'm sure he didn't have a crystal ball when he signed up here...

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Never the less the (mis) preception is that AFL is a National game whilst NRL is played in two places with a token team in Melbourne. When we get Perth in and take more games on the road to SA and NT plus game the game on TV nationally then we might start to change that perception.

Agreed totally.

Perth has to be the next city to get an NRL team. You will not get an argument out of me on that issue. Still let us not underestimate the power of the NSW market. 7.2 million people live in NSW out of 22 million in Australia. 4.5 million of them live in Sydney.

I don't want to bag out you state but even if you add the combined total population of people in Western Australia, South Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory you would still only have around the population of Sydney (4.6 million by my count)

Now, where the AFL has the NRL is on market penetration. I have no doubt being able to advertise tractors in Perth and barrels of acid in Adelaide is worth money to the AFL but don't give me that shit channel nine on AFL having more coverage population wise in Australia. That is horseshit. All those non-Victorian states have about the population of Sydney.

docbrown

Coach
All those non-Victorian states have about the population of Sydney.

And have next to zero major cities outside the capitals.

Major areas in NSW/QLD/ACT outside Sydney & Brisbane:

Canberra - NRL yes, AFL partial
Wollongong - NRL yes, AFL no
Central Coast - NRL bid, AFL no
Hunter - NRL yes, AFL no
Gold Coast - NRL yes, AFL yes
Sunshine Coast - NRL no (but if we're smart we'll capitalise on it), AFL no
Townsville - NRL yes, AFL no
Cairns - NRL no (but if we're smart we'll play a few games), AFL partial

Two of which will have 1,000,000+ populations within 20 years

The AFL states have:
Geelong - NRL no, AFL yes
Hobart - NRL no, AFL partial
Darwin - NRL no (but if we're smart we'll play a few games), AFL partial

In terms of major cities outside the 5 big capitals, advantage is clearly in the NRL's favour.

Shore up the Central Coast, set a timeline for a Sunshine Coast team's entry within 15-20 years, play a number of games in Cairns each year perhaps Sydney teams home against the Cowboys, play a game in Darwin each year (Reds vs Cowboys is my pick), set up a new team in Brisbane, expand to Perth, long term 2nd team in New Zealand in 10-15 years, long term in 15-20 years expand to Adelaide.

In terms of geographic reach, no other sports league would match it.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yes that is another thing that gets my goats the metro ratings. People in NSW and QLD (especially QLD) are far less likely to be living in their capital city than say Victorians. We will have a better idea when the census is released but going off current best guesses you have the following.

Percentage living in Capital City
NSW=63
QLD=44
Vic= 72
WA=72
SA=68

Tasmania is a tiny little place so its not all that important to anyone. If you look at the top 10 population centres in Australia 7 of them are in NSW or QLD (or both in the case of Gold Coast/Tweed). If people in NSW lived in Sydney like say the people of WA live in Perth the metro ratings would be an absolute slaughtering.

LESStar58

Referee
Game preview in the Hunn says the game is now on at midnight. I hope its wrong! If they are right, Channel Nine are bigger merkins than I take them for!

LESStar58

Referee
I've checked a few online websites. They say the final on at 1225am. It could be wrong but to advertise it in the paper and online like that how do they expect to get an audience!?

j5o6hn

Juniors
Well here in WA we had the stupidity of WIN on display, in the country you can watch the Storm game at 1 30pm in the afternoon I,m assuming that's live,in Perth 12 25am Monday with friends like the wasters at 9 who need enemy's

Perth Red

Post Whore
There is no excuse for Melbourne or Perth. The ratings in both cities have proved time and again there is an audience. Why a TV station would want to deliberately sabotage its schedling to get lower audiences is something I would be asking if I was a Ch9 shareholder!

Billythekid

First Grade
That's actually better than i was expecting considering the complete lack of advertising (in fact they even delayed announcing it until late in the week). That plus the fact that it was against a massive AFL game.

It looks like the storm are already close to the swans despite having so much less time and exposure.

86k is good consindering no promotion and lack of live coverage now if only 9 can give the Storm a fair friggin go for once comparable to the Swans/Lions whenever there show live the Storm ratings go pretty well againist Swans/Lions in each of there respective state ratings.

Difference is the Swans/Lions get promoted non-stop, constant advertising, and free to air time-slot annually while Storm get the shaft it's in own state for so long. I have a feeling if the Storm was given the same coverage as Swans/Lions in Victoria it would be surpass them ratings wise in Victoria compare to Swans/Lions in NSW/QLD respectively.

The potential is there, there is an audience there now if only 9 did the right thing for god sake.:roll: