What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 not keen on going live for Melbourne Storm's blockbusters or any NRL finals

Should 9 be sold the rights to Rugby League again?

• Yes

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 124 94.7%

• Total voters

dgsfan

Juniors
really? But, the Storm/Dragons game was shown live into NSW/QLD, whereas Storm/Tigers was only shown live into NSW/Melbourne and on delay in Queensland (Broncos/Cowboys being the live QLD game)

Just quoting Melbourne's twitter account. Maybe the Melb figure made up for the Brisbane figure and then some. It only slightly beat it.

Stormarekings

Juniors
The NRL comission needs to make a deal in the next TV rights (even if it cost them money and it probabaly will) to show games in VIC/SA/WA mostly live if possible (however I am willing to accept a 30 minute or so delay in the state where the game is played to encourage people to go to the game). They needs to get it put into the contract and show it on gem/go. It will help the game grow in the long run and give RL more exposure in SA/WA before they introduce teams to these states.

Billythekid

First Grade
Channel 9 can't afford to show the storm. Just think if they had showed the game in Melbourne and it had rated 100-150K? They want to make the NRL pay to get games shown into Melbourne and the only way we can stop this from happening is to prove we can rate down there. We can't do that unless we can get shown.

That plus it's going to be hard to shaft the code when we can pull in like 1.6 million for a regular season match. Channel 9 will avoid showing the storm live until the next tv deal because they know this is going to have a massive impact on the tv deal.

hutch

First Grade
A theory I've heard is that nine aren't showing the games I melbourne love for a few reasons. One, when it rates well it further increases the value of tv rights. And two, nine can use live games into Melbourne as a bargaining tool during the next rights. Eg. We'll put the nrl love into Melbourne but it's gonna cost you $x million per year!

God I hope they don't get anywhere near the next tv deal!

hutch

First Grade
Channel 9 can't afford to show the storm. Just think if they had showed the game in Melbourne and it had rated 100-150K? They want to make the NRL pay to get games shown into Melbourne and the only way we can stop this from happening is to prove we can rate down there. We can't do that unless we can get shown.

That plus it's going to be hard to shaft the code when we can pull in like 1.6 million for a regular season match. Channel 9 will avoid showing the storm live until the next tv deal because they know this is going to have a massive impact on the tv deal.

Haha there you go! Agree completely!

Billythekid

First Grade
Haha there you go! Agree completely!

Heh well it just seems like the logical answer. Right now there isn't much for them to gain from showing the games but they can gain quite a bit by not showing them.

We could be making real progress in Melbourne if it weren't for 9 shafting us.

Eels Dude

Coach
The NRL comission needs to make a deal in the next TV rights (even if it cost them money and it probabaly will) to show games in VIC/SA/WA mostly live if possible (however I am willing to accept a 30 minute or so delay in the state where the game is played to encourage people to go to the game). They needs to get it put into the contract and show it on gem/go. It will help the game grow in the long run and give RL more exposure in SA/WA before they introduce teams to these states.

Hopefully the new anti siphoning laws that will be passed soon take care of this already.

Perth Red

Post Whore
On a Friday night it is actually better for us on a 2 hour delay due to time difference. A 7pm and 9pm WA time Friday night on a digital channel would be perfect and a Sunday 2.30pm.

bobmar28

Bench
Its disgusting and don't know what's worse, Ch9's appaling treatment of RL or Gallop's inability to do anything about it? He won;t even come out and critisice them. God forbid we have another 7 years of this guy in charge!

I'm pretty sure the IC will be in charge. And nine won't get away with this when the next contract is signed. If they even get the rights.

Last edited:

juro

Bench
So has this anger been picked up by any media at all? There have been hundreds of complaints on the 9 and WWOS facebook pages which they just choose to ignore. If a newspaper started running stories drawing peoples' attention to the complaints, 9 might actually have to act instead of just waiting for it all to blow over.

El Diablo

Post Whore
well only that one article AFAIK

and the AFL loving Melbourne media aren't going to care

are there any RL journo's who write for Melbourne papers?

joshie

Live Update Team
As an avid Melbourne storm fan with lots of friends in Melbourne I'm really pissed off. I am in Queensland and I am lucky I can see our games but 9 need to pick their game up!

f**kwitts they are!

El Diablo

Post Whore
So has this anger been picked up by any media at all? There have been hundreds of complaints on the 9 and WWOS facebook pages which they just choose to ignore. If a newspaper started running stories drawing peoples' attention to the complaints, 9 might actually have to act instead of just waiting for it all to blow over.

maybe there is something in the print version as this was posted on 9's facebook

it says in todays herald sun that any attempt to show the Storm v Manly game has been snuffed out.

Matt_B

Juniors
I think televising of the NRL matches is far below what most people would call satisfactory. Sure, they can't televise every single game on every single weekend, but they can do a better job at Channel 9. I'd also like to see fewer commercial breaks, especially when we have a try scored and we come back to a replay of the conversion kick about two or three tackles into the next play following the restart kick. That's simply annoying!

Latest posts