What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield Jersey is Black!

big pat

Coach
Sorry I didnt mean to start a war, The bloke with the jerseys looked like he was getting them signed for a charity auction or something. He had 5 and a gold pen, He was going to sell them for sure...

nah don't worry about it, got a few people talking, just thought we were going to be men in black 3.

Wobbygong

First Grade
maybe they are just wearing the Freddy Kruger alternate jersey with the st george foundation sponsorship on the front instead of the St George Bank? I asked Dousty about the black jersey and he told me I wasn't versed in reality..............

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well there you have it Willow. We'll call the black jersey (if it happens) the 'Sans Souci throwback'
I suspect the Sans Souci Gentlemens Hosiery Emporium had a sale on black dacks and stockings that year.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
And it is so confirmed:

00000829-image.jpg

I would like to see black shorts and socks coupled with the blood and bandages for the away strip. It's different yet traditional. Red, white and black is a great combination.

And despite its use by the Panthers and Warriors, black remains an unmistakably neutral colour in my view.

Willow, I think I've also seen pictures of Saints teams from the 60s or 70s wearing black shorts. Possibly something to do playing teams with white shorts and needing a clear difference for the benefit of black and white TV.

I would like to see black shorts and socks coupled with the blood and bandages for the away strip. It's different yet traditional. Red, white and black is a great combination.

And despite its use by the Panthers and Warriors, black remains an unmistakably neutral colour in my view.

Willow, I think I've also seen pictures of Saints teams from the 60s or 70s wearing black shorts. Possibly something to do playing teams with white shorts and needing a clear difference for the benefit of black and white TV.

St George wore black shorts v Manly, S.C.G., 16-Jun-1973. I was at the game but have never found out why they were worn. Haven't seen them worn since..

Doug2234

First Grade
The shorts bag was left at the leagues club.

They had to by the black shorts from the sports store across the rd from the SCG