What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield Jersey is Black!

big pat

Coach
Coz the only team I want to see win is St George, they are the only team who make me happy when they win and pissed off when they lose. Not too hard to figure that one out champ

anyone with a small amount of intellect, should be able to work that out, red and white forever, your name says it all.:D

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Good to see you take everything I say seriously Willow...

Gaba

First Grade
Saw the jersey they will use next week for the charity shield at the Fan day today it is charcoal/black, whats the go?

dont know whether these will be it , but what my friend seen they had red and white stripes down the sleeves , funny zigzag red v design

he told me today when i mention it

Last edited:

redwhitedragon

Juniors
Sorry I didnt mean to start a war, The bloke with the jerseys looked like he was getting them signed for a charity auction or something. He had 5 and a gold pen, He was going to sell them for sure...

LazyDreamer

Bench
The thought of me wanting another team to win just blows ME away.

There are teams I hate more than others but at the end of the day I hate them all.

The only way I'd want to see 1 team beat another is if I've got Footy Tab or if the outcome affects St George, apart from that there is no way I could have a second team. I don't even know what that means

Nah man. Hell,. if it's Raiders vs not-Dragons, and the Raiders get up, then my young fella is over the moon. A happy kid is a happy dad. I'd love him to be a Dragons fan, but in the interim at least he's a league fan! Hence, I encourage it. Imagine the hell if he was a Waratahs fan...f**k that!

The Pennies winning the GF in 2003? Not only was the best mate (the best mate a bloke could wish for) over the moon, and as the underdogs they beat the Poosters! Yee-haw!

Hell, I'll read a Raiders headline over an Eels headline (obviously not in the Telecrap coz with their love affair with the Eels it wouldn't happen), because it's something the young fella's interested in. Ditto, I'll read a Panthers headline over a Roosters headline coz my bestie now lives in Canada & doesn't get the news.

Serioulsy, not hating one team as much as another is very, VERY close to liking one team more than another. Semantics, really. And going for one non-Dragons team over another purely because of Footytab is no different. Man, if it came down to the Raiders losing in the last round to ensure the farkin' Poosters got the spoon, I'd have made the young bloke wear a red, white & blue jumper if that's what it took (now that's child abuse!).

And there's no "Gee, it's the last round & the Dragons miss the finals no matter the result, but if the Raiders beat them they make the finals" schidt. f**k that! Dragons first, daylight second (and f**k daylight too if it's that close to the mighty Dragons! Salary cap cheating c-units is all daylight is).

Try to infer I'm less of a Dragons fan because of all this, and you & me will be out the back going the knucks! :D

Godz Illa

Coach
it just occurred to me that we haven't always been strictly red and white. Once upon a time, we wore black shorts. So technically the colour black is actually part of our heritage. Perhaps this experiment is in fact a little bit of nostalgia? I doubt it, but either way thats my rationalisation

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Back in 1910-1920s Godz.

Probably out of neccessity more than anything else. Unlikely this is the reason for any current push for black. But you are a concilliatory fella so I'll chip in too.

Even so, the official colours were red-and-white.

Sans Souci, April 30, 1910: It took two more years but in 1910, the "St George Third Grade Rugby League Football Club" was formed and admitted into the NSWRL third grade competition.

sh_jerseystgeo_01.gif

The colours of the club were red and white. The jerseys had red and white horizontal hoops which were four inches wide. They wore black shorts, black socks with red and white tops. The headquarters were at Stroud's Hotel, Kogarah, and the training room was the small hall (old church) in Gray Street. The club's home ground was at Sans Souci and Mr A. Farrat was installed as coach.

The St George third graders of 1910 became the first St George Rugby League team to take to the field and did so in convincing fashion, thrashing the Newtown thirds by 36-0 at Sans Souci.

The scorers for this historic match were: C Haydon 3, J Thomson 2, F Holt, B Haydon, A.Gore tries. C Haydon 4, A Larkin, S Territt goals. Referee: C Negus.

http://www.jubileeavenue.com.au/history/1907-1920.php

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
i just love how this has all come about due to the comment from one unknown at a jersey signing...

ah... the internet.. helping to spread rumours since 1993...

Latest posts