What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chase Stanley Update

W.B.2.S.O.S

Juniors
Exactly what they said about Jamie Soward. Everyone talked him up when he started first grade, but due to a few bad first grade games, he became "overrated". Like Stanley he couldnt play to his full potential. Then he came to the dragons, and became a star. Under the helm of Bennett he has became a superstar. Will the same happen to Stanley, only time will tell.

Jasdragon

Juniors
Exactly what they said about Jamie Soward. Everyone talked him up when he started first grade, but due to a few bad first grade games, he became "overrated". Like Stanley he couldn't play to his full potential. Then he came to the dragons, and became a star. Under the helm of Bennett he has became a superstar. Will the same happen to Stanley, only time will tell.

:lol: at comparing Stanley to Soward, totally different players and Soward in the past even while performing inconsistently showed way more promise than Stanley ever has. I have always rated Soward could never understand why the Roosters let him go, I strongly doubt people will be asking that about the Dragons and Stanley.

W.B.2.S.O.S

Juniors
:lol: at comparing Stanley to Soward, totally different players and Soward in the past even while performing inconsistently showed way more promise than Stanley ever has. I have always rated Soward could never understand why the Roosters let him go, I strongly doubt people will be asking that about the Dragons and Stanley.

Just saying. Everyone i speak to says that Stanley has a great talent. I must fail to see it, but if he becomes a star for the storm then im sure this post will come up again.

Jasdragon

Juniors
Just saying. Everyone i speak to says that Stanley has a great talent. I must fail to see it, but if he becomes a star for the storm then im sure this post will come up again.

Fair enough, but that is my point people say it, basically because of the massive raps put on him from Brown and Gaz. He never even showed to me that he was even worthy of 1st grade, let alone be a star. Regardless I'll go with Bennett's judgment on him which was to let him go, which is exactly what I wanted him to do :).

Engine

Juniors
I don't know what Stanley's head is like, but seems a rare talent based on what I've seen. Dragons won't miss him, but he'll be a big gain for the Storm.

Juniors
stanley looked really good against manly, cant wait to see him in storm colours

Mr Red

First Grade
great news to hear we have finally offloaded him !!!!!
no doubt in about 4 or 5 seasons he may show something..... but at the moment he is simply chewing up far too much salary cap for someone playing very average park footy, and not even a regular in the 17....
i am sure Mr Bennett will use the money wisely and get someone twice as good for less money.....

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Here's hoping this is one that won't come back to bite us. I always thought he just needed some time.

watatank

Coach
Fair enough, but that is my point people say it, basically because of the massive raps put on him from Brown and Gaz. He never even showed to me that he was even worthy of 1st grade, let alone be a star. Regardless I'll go with Bennett's judgment on him which was to let him go, which is exactly what I wanted him to do :).

Yeah, people only rate him of because Brown and Gaz told us to :roll:

Brown may have had his faults but he knows talent. Look at all the fringe players that have flourished under Bennett: Saffy, Prior, Hunt, Scott...all players Brown made into first graders. Then obviously there's the likes of Creagh, Cooper, Hornby, etc who are already there. Not to mention all the former players playing at other clubs. He's also said that Michael Lett is a genuine first grader (or at least will be) and people are only realising that now. I'm willing to back his opinion on the matter even if I didn't rate Stanley

Another thing to think about, if Beau Scott left the club at the end of 2007/08 not many would have missed him and if Ben Creagh left at the end of 2004/05 not many would have missed him either. Both players were given a lot more time and opportunity at the club than Stanley has ever been.

Also Bennett's view on players is that if they want to go then he will not stand in their way, so letting him go doesn't necessarily mean that he's not good enough, you're simply just trying to align your views with what may or may not have happened. It was an easy decision because of the money he's on, not because he's not talented.

Last edited:

big pat

Coach
i have a motto, if your st george your alright, if your not f**k off and don't let the door hit you on the way out, stanley had many chances he just didn't take them.

big pat

Coach
i think people saw with their own eyes what stanley was like, they didn't need to be told by browny, gaz or anybody else for that matter, thompson talked him up as the next big thing, but nothing happened,if bellamy gets something out of him good luck to him, maybe a couple of extra dollars to lett might be better value.

grandorient

Bench
Wilow,

I tend to agree, a lttle more time under Bennett and move him to the back row on a more permanent basis.

Time will indeed tell...

GO

STG-Dragon

Juniors
Yeah, people only rate him of because Brown and Gaz told us to :roll:

Brown may have had his faults but he knows talent. Look at all the fringe players that have flourished under Bennett: Saffy, Prior, Hunt, Scott...all players Brown made into first graders. Then obviously there's the likes of Creagh, Cooper, Hornby, etc who are already there. Not to mention all the former players playing at other clubs. He's also said that Michael Lett is a genuine first grader (or at least will be) and people are only realising that now. I'm willing to back his opinion on the matter even if I didn't rate Stanley

Another thing to think about, if Beau Scott left the club at the end of 2007/08 not many would have missed him and if Ben Creagh left at the end of 2004/05 not many would have missed him either. Both players were given a lot more time and opportunity at the club than Stanley has ever been.

Also Bennett's view on players is that if they want to go then he will not stand in their way, so letting him go doesn't necessarily mean that he's not good enough, you're simply just trying to align your views with what may or may not have happened. It was an easy decision because of the money he's on, not because he's not talented.

And your not aligning your views with what may or may not have happened???? My not being good enough view, comes from the fact he is NOT GOOD ENOUGH to be be in the team and he hasn't been all year.

If this if that, what a load of crap you could use that for anyone. The fact is they must had shown enough to be kept on and they were were regular 1st graders, Stanley has not or he would not have been let go.

I have been arguing with you since the off season about 2 players that I believe are ordinary and should not be in the side, 1 down and 1 more to go, your mate Head ;-).

Last edited:

watatank

Coach
And your not aligning your views with what may or may not have happened???? My not being good enough view, comes from the fact he is NOT GOOD ENOUGH to be be in the team and he hasn't been all year.

Lol with all your if's that's just stupid, They fact is they had shown enough to be kept on Stanley has not or he would not have been let go.

I don't know how you can say with full conviction that he was let go because he's not good enough. It seems far more valid to believe he wanted to leave and was getting paid too much money in reserves. There isn't room for him at this point in time but I really don't think that's such a big deal considering there's currently no room for others who are also his age (Merrin, Marketo, Henry).

I have been arguing with you since the off season about 2 players that I believe are ordinary and should not be in the side, 1 down and 1 more to go, your mate Head ;-).

Are you Jas' other account or something?

I never said Head should have been in the team. I said from the start Hornby should be halfback and Head be used as backup or off the bench, only to be reinstated as halfback if he gets back to full fitness, which never happened.

STG-Dragon

Juniors
I don't know how you can say with full conviction that he was let go because he's not good enough.
I can say it with no hesitation :).
It seems far more valid to believe he wanted to leave and was getting paid too much money in reserves. There isn't room for him at this point in time but I really don't think that's such a big deal considering there's currently no room for others who are also his age (Merrin, Marketo, Henry).
That was also my point, he was overrated hence being overpaid!
Are you Jas' other account or something?
Yep.
I never said Head should have been in the team. I said from the start Hornby should be halfback and Head be used as backup or off the bench, only to be reinstated as halfback if he gets back to full fitness, which never happened.
Head is fully fit, has been all year.

Last edited: