What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Houston cleared of drug charges

Alex28

Coach
For god sake JM...if you are going to put something out on a public forum at least stand by it. You couldn't back up your accusations towards Houston, yet couldn't actually have the integrity to say you could wrong.

Then you watered it down and turned it around to me not answering your question. Your comment wasn't actually worth answering. I don't actually know if there is anyone dealing drugs that plays for Geelong. Do you know that for sure?

You are wasted here. Should be a politician.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I love how the media rings around all the sponsors to drum up the negative publicity. As if the allegations themselves aren't damaging enough...

Johns Magic

Referee
For god sake JM...if you are going to put something out on a public forum at least stand by it. You couldn't back up your accusations towards Houston, yet couldn't actually have the integrity to say you could wrong.

Firstly, make sense.

Secondly, I stand by what I said. I didn't put anything out. It's been the hot word for days and the media has been speculating it since the story broke. As I said before, my only regret is not throwing the word "alleged" in first so it wouldn't upset PC little bitches like yourself, and for that I apologise to LU, but not to you, as it doesn't change the point of my argument in the slightest. Whether Houston "allegedy" got the drugs from Wicks or "allegedly" from someone else, doesn't change the fact that he was "allegedly" dealing drugs.

Then you watered it down and turned it around to me not answering your question.

I watered nothing down. I rephrased it so you would finally have no excuse not to answer the question. Which you have failed to do.

Your comment wasn't actually worth answering.

Because it didn't suit you, that's right.

I don't actually know if there is anyone dealing drugs that plays for Geelong. Do you know that for sure?

What the f**k are you trying to do? Answer the question you idiot, has more than one Geelong player been arrested on drug-dealing charges or not?

You are wasted here. Should be a politician.

Answer the question.

jc155776

Coach
Johns magic is spot on.

Also just as a Sharks fan, it may be best if your club can air ALL its sh*t in the same season and move on fresh like we seem to have done. kinda like ripping the bandaid off in one go rather then dragging it out.

Alex28

Coach
To the best of my knowledge - given I have no idea what the players of Geelong do that could not be found on Google - there are no other players for Geelong that have been arrested for dealing, supplying or trafficking drugs. I can not in all certainty say that no other players for Geelong deal, supply or traffic drugs.

Can you?

You can't say something as fact just because it has or has not been speculated. Simple as that.

Elephant Hunter

Juniors
Chris Houston quits Newcastle Knights to fight drug charges

NEWCASTLE second rower Chris Houston has offered his resignation to the club today to allow him to fight drug charges in court next month.

It was announced on Monday that the police charged Houston with three charges of supplying ecstasy and one charge of supplying cocaine with his first court case on April 13.
Knights chief executive Steve Burraston confirmed at the NRL launch at ANZ Stadium this afternoon that the club would accept his resignation.
"Chris is one of our better players but with all that he's got going on, he needs to focus on that and we know his mind won't be on footy." he said.
Houston is the second Newcastle player to face serious drug charges after Danny Wicks was charged in December.

Australian News paper 1:54 PM

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/chris-houston-quits-newcastle-knights-to-fight-drug-charges/story-e6frg7mf-1225836552332

Johns Magic

Referee
To the best of my knowledge - given I have no idea what the players of Geelong do that could not be found on Google - there are no other players for Geelong that have been arrested for dealing, supplying or trafficking drugs. I can not in all certainty say that no other players for Geelong deal, supply or traffic drugs.

Can you?

No I can't, but then again that's not what I'm asking and is completely irrelevant isn't it. Quit stalling.

The question was, have any other Geelong players been arrested for dealing, and the answer is no. Thankyou for finally admitting that, in a roundabout wormy way.

You can't say something as fact just because it has or has not been speculated. Simple as that.

Didn't we just go over this....

Yes, I should have used the word "alleged" first. But that is the widely-held theory at the moment, and the theory that NIB will be running with.

Now can you finally admit that the extent of the Knights' indiscretions far outweigh those of Stokes?

johns_reds

First Grade
Geelong ARE the reigning Champions, so I can understand NIB being perhaps a little keener to associate their name with the Cats and continue doing so.

But the idea put forward that Knights= favorites for spoon (?) so therefore Knights= sponsorless is a little extreme IMO. Easts and Cronulla have both landed major sponsors again, despite coming off seasons that were so bad they were almost comical.

My comment was a bit toungue in cheek, i don't know if newcastle will be spooners, but with all the turmoil they are going through it won't help the onfield performances plus the loss of one of thier better forwards.

What i meant to say was as you said it above, the geelong brand is looking better then the newcastle brand as the geelong brand came off a grand final win, i think the ability to sponsor any club = good $$$ as the advertising etc. when you see the shirts on tv etc. helps get thier brand out, even if it is a lower team in the competition.

Alex28

Coach
Well JM...it really depends from which angle NIB is looking at in regards to what has happened.

The scale of the combined events? Sure...the Knights issues outweigh Geelongs.

The scale of Houstons actions compared to Stokes? Need more information. So would NIB.

Sponsoring a club that has had involvement with illegal drugs? Both clubs are guilty. Illegal drugs is illegal drugs is illegal drugs. What is good for one club is good for the other.

Any way...Houston appears to be gone. If they want evidence that the club has taken action to fix the situation - you can't fix it much more than that.

johns_reds

First Grade
With Houston gone you have to say that newcastle's handle on drugs is a lot better then geelong's. I think the "NRL's" policy on drugs sits higher then AFL's and i think Newcastle are showing that.

Johns Magic

Referee
Well JM...it really depends from which angle NIB is looking at in regards to what has happened.

The scale of the combined events? Sure...the Knights issues outweigh Geelongs.

The scale of Houstons actions compared to Stokes? Need more information. So would NIB.

Well like anyone with any logic whatsoever, you'd look at the club's collective indiscretions in regards to whether or not it's worth putting your money into them and associating your brand with them.

Or are you saying it's ok for players to do the wrong thing over and over again, because previous indiscretions shouldn't count?

Sponsoring a club that has had involvement with illegal drugs? Both clubs are guilty. Illegal drugs is illegal drugs is illegal drugs. What is good for one club is good for the other.

But one is far more guilty than the other. Surely even you can grasp that.

Any way...Houston appears to be gone. If they want evidence that the club has taken action to fix the situation - you can't fix it much more than that.

Does that change the headlines Joe Bloggs reads this morning about the Knights being in turmoil? You do realise that sponsorship is about advertising to the public, not about being good blokes to a club's board, don't you...

Red Bear

Referee
Say hello to my little friend!

589780.jpg
Tommy Raudonikis - And of course O'Davis could be dangerous if he decides to inject himself
Reg Warren - Oh hold on a minute there
TR - inject himself into the game i mean

drake

First Grade
This is all channel nine's fault.

If they hadn't broadcast a show that turned a fat nobody into a cool gangsta by selling drugs, Wicks wouldn't have set out to be Newcastles own "Fatboy" kingpin.
Did Chris want to be Benji?

All jokes aside, whether or not Houston was involved dealing or just an accomplice by association remains to be seen. I don't think the police would have taken so long to charge him if it was just a matter of not dobbing his mate in, but I'm not privy to any of the facts, so I'll reserve judgement.

If anyone thinks that drug use, especially ecstasy, isn't rife through all facets of society that involve people from their teens to their thirties, you need to wake up. A lot of corporate managers have eyes like headlamps and grins like a madman on friday and saturday nights.

I don't think money is an issue for Wicks and associates; in my opinion it is far more likely an image and power desire, to be cool, to be important, to call the shots.
Billions of dollars are made by mega corporations each year from artists selling how f**king cool it is to be an amoral, high roller gangster.

You can't honestly say that it hasn't become the apex of a large portion of youth culture to be a pimpin' gangsta, with gold chains, a gun, a posse of bad ass (american spelling intentional) homies and a string of hos. Look at how what was once the culture of f**ked up housie kids (no judgement there; I'm from housie stock) and ex cons has become a blooming culture of child, nanna and girl bashing 'lads'. Personally, I think the satanic mass murdering lyrics of death and black metal bands to be an improvement on the sh*te that gets pumped onto commercial radio by record company manufactured 'gangstas'. Not easy to get rich, popular and laid by killing virgins in the name of Nyarlothotep.

the problem is with modern pop culture, not Rugby league, not Newcastle. The individuals involved are to blame. If i was dealing smack in my spare time, where does that become my employers fault?

Please excuse all my non current gang lingo; I find the whole ideal of being a cowardly thug hiding behind a gun and gang of other gutless turds pathetic, so I'm not exactly with it.

Slackboy72

Coach
Is there more to this?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-over-phone-taps/story-e6frg7mf-1225836726296

Newcastle waits nervously as police pore over phone taps

Peter Kogoy and Margie McDonald From: The Australian March 04, 2010 12:00AM

WITHIN hours of alleged drug supplier Chris Houston quitting his $200,000-a-year contract with Newcastle, police sources revealed last night the noose could be tightening on more Knights.
"There could be even more under the microscope," a senior police source said.
"Since Wicks, his brother and sister-in-law were arrested four to six weeks ago, another 18 to 20 people have been picked up for supplying and distributing illicit drugs. Not all of these have at this stage been linked directly or associated with the Knights.
"But the problem we've uncovered is that illicit drugs is a serious issue in this area.
"The drug problem is a major concern in this area. It wouldn't surprise me if we catch more as the net widens.
"We just haven't had the manpower available to listen to all the taped phone conversations.
"We still have hundreds of hours of tape recordings to sift through."
Detectives attached to Strike Force Welham under the command of Acting Assistant NSW Commissioner Geoff McKechnie on Monday charged Houston with three counts of supplying ecstasy and one count of supplying cocaine. Houston, from Narooma on the NSW south coast, will appear in Newcastle Local Court on April 13.
Yesterday Houston formally resigned from the Knights, releasing a statement through his lawyer.
"The Knights have a strict code of conduct which I have always supported. The club has taken enough hits because of these charges," Houston's statement read.
"Therefore, I feel obligated to disassociate myself from the club until my matter is resolved."
At the NRL's season launch yesterday, Knights chief executive Steve Burraston said he had accepted Houston's resignation.
"We understand he's got a huge battle to fight now and his mind just couldn't be around football during this time. We'll let the legal system take its course."
Burraston was reluctant to guarantee that no other people linked to the club would be snared in the police investigation after being let down by Houston.
"There was no indication to me that he was involved in any way, so it's a hell of a shock," Burraston said.
Burraston arrives back in Newcastle today and said he would once again speak to players collectively and individually.
Newcastle plays the Bulldogs on Saturday week at ANZ Stadium in round one.
When pressed further on the possibility of further charges being laid, Burraston felt that because the court cases for both Wicks and Houston would start next month then the whole incident -- for the Knights at least -- would reach a conclusion.
"Hopefully, there's no more. I was hoping there'd be no more after Danny Wicks so I'm not game to say that," Burraston said.
He reiterated Newcastle was a break-even club and losing any sponsors would hit hard. But he said all sponsors he spoke to had been supportive and solid -- so far.
"Of course they're not happy with the situation as any prudent business people would not be," he said.
"But at present they're solid with us although they're demanding answers from me which is their right.
"If I was in there position I'd be asking for the same information. I'm happy to provide that for them and we'll be doing that over the coming days."
NRL chief executive David Gallop was asked if the league would step in to keep the Knights afloat financially if a key sponsor walked away.
"We're not at that situation at the moment," Gallop said.
"They are dealing with this the best that they can.
"It's primarily a matter for the police but the Knights have taken their own action with the players concerned and that's all they can do at this stage.
"It's a concern but it's also before the courts and that's where we have to leave it.
"Those players are no longer with the club."

When I read that article I thought the reporter was stretching things quite a bit. The police seemed non-committal just basically saying they are still investigating.

Not saying there will be more, nor that there won't.

Qld Shark

Juniors

If they hadn't broadcast a show that turned a fat nobody into a cool gangsta by selling drugs, Wicks wouldn't have set out to be Newcastles own "Fatboy" kingpin.

All jokes aside, whether or not Houston was involved dealing or just an accomplice by association remains to be seen. I don't think the police would have taken so long to charge him if it was just a matter of not dobbing his mate in, but I'm not privy to any of the facts, so I'll reserve judgement.

If anyone thinks that drug use, especially ecstasy, isn't rife through all facets of society that involve people from their teens to their thirties, you need to wake up. A lot of corporate managers have eyes like headlamps and grins like a madman on friday and saturday nights.

I don't think money is an issue for Wicks and associates; in my opinion it is far more likely an image and power desire, to be cool, to be important, to call the shots.
Billions of dollars are made by mega corporations each year from artists selling how f**king cool it is to be an amoral, high roller gangster.

You can't honestly say that it hasn't become the apex of a large portion of youth culture to be a pimpin' gangsta, with gold chains, a gun, a posse of bad ass (american spelling intentional) homies and a string of hos. Look at how what was once the culture of f**ked up housie kids (no judgement there; I'm from housie stock) and ex cons has become a blooming culture of child, nanna and girl bashing 'lads'. Personally, I think the satanic mass murdering lyrics of death and black metal bands to be an improvement on the sh*te that gets pumped onto commercial radio by record company manufactured 'gangstas'. Not easy to get rich, popular and laid by killing virgins in the name of Nyarlothotep.

the problem is with modern pop culture, not Rugby league, not Newcastle. The individuals involved are to blame. If i was dealing smack in my spare time, where does that become my employers fault?

Please excuse all my non current gang lingo; I find the whole ideal of being a cowardly thug hiding behind a gun and gang of other gutless turds pathetic, so I'm not exactly with it.

:clap::clap::clap:

macavity

Referee

post of the year, decade, millenium perhaps.

white-gangsta.jpg

God-King Dean

Immortal
Did you see me when that hottie was all up in mai Kool Aid? Yeah I was about to break off a lil' somthin somthin but then my crew gave me the 411 on that skank and shes all about the bling-bling!

skeepe

Immortal
Did you see me when that hottie was all up in mai Kool Aid? Yeah I was about to break off a lil' somthin somthin but then my crew gave me the 411 on that skank and shes all about the bling-bling!

Is there an English version of this post somewhere?

Latest posts