What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Houston cleared of drug charges

Knightmare

Coach
Yeah, dealing is definitely not-on IMO. Personally though, if a player is out and downs a couple of pingers, I don't see what the fuss is other than by the black and white letter of the law. It's not exactly uncommon for young men in society to swallow a couple of biscuits on a night out.

Alex28

Coach
Cram brings up a great point in the Knights forum - the guy is in the middle of a teaching degree and is a reasonably well paid footballer. Why do you put either of those things at risk for supplying three E's and some coke?

There is much more to this story in one way or another. Either he's involved a lot more, or he's been mixed up in Wick's side business.

And if it the latter, and we've accepted his resignation and he escapes jail and is playing with another side in 2001 I am going to be pissed.

Ulysseus

Bench
I suggested we inherited our drug dealing/supply culture from another club. You in turn had nothing to come back with besides users in the clubs past. Two different things.

Saying the Knights has a drug dealing/supply culture because two players have been caught could be just as easily be linked to the Dragons. We have no idea how long they have been dealing/supplying for. Maybe they just never got caught at the Dragons?

I'd suggest when you don't have the answers to respond in the future you just shut up.

You suggested, and with no more proof than I have in saying that it did not come from Saints, that maybe it might have could have come from Saints.
(Should I echo your earlier sentiment and ask you to provide proof or retract your statement? :D)
If it can be so easily linked as you have insinuated, then go ahead and do it..........................

I was going to type a long diatribe detailing the drug issues prevalent in Newcastle, but then I remembered that, despite being long away from the 'industry' for a few years now, you just don't go bringing that stuff back up, especially not to win an internet argument, indeed, you never do know who is watching.
I could regale you with an account of a fullback in a limousine out the back of another footballers pub punching back some cones and laying down the stuff that folds for some other product, and it isn't a story, its a recollection, and what gives me the ability to pin it on the locale is that rather than many guessers, storytellers, know it alls and the rest is one distinct difference, I was actually there :D , there to see a few players throw down their hard earned for a few bags, there to see one of them get thrown down a flight of stairs because of his behavior (only to be listed as having aggravated a knee injury at training, bullsh*t :) )
I could name names, times, locations and product if I wanted to.
All I will say is the current issues have a lot to do with there locale, not so much their club, but it would not surprise me if they got both the original idea and Wick's joining of the central coast based ring at some point after he arrived.

Alex28

Coach
You suggested, and with no more proof than I have in saying that it did not come from Saints, that maybe it might have could have come from Saints.
(Should I echo your earlier sentiment and ask you to provide proof or retract your statement? :D)
If it can be so easily linked as you have insinuated, then go ahead and do it..........................
It might have...it might not have.

It might also have absolutely nothing to do with either club and might be the culture of two housemates. That wouldn't fly here though - it must be used to have a shot at the Knights.

And apparently the actions of a bunch of ex-players - the vast majority which have had nothing to do with the club for years - is also part of the culture responsible for these two guys selling drugs.

The vast majority of this entire thread is just crap and an excuse for other clubs fans to take yet another cheap shot at the Knights. Whether something is "factual" or not was lost in this thread back on Page 1.

I love it when people here whinge that Knights fans take shots at their team. Is it any wonder why?

Ulysseus

Bench
It might have...it might not have.

It might also have absolutely nothing to do with either club and might be the culture of two housemates. That wouldn't fly here though - it must be used to have a shot at the Knights.

*rubs forehead with hands
Mate, you are missing my point, its the locale more so then the club.
Did you even read the rest of my post other than the bit you quoted?
It is a near certainty Wicks cranked up once at Newcastle, the opportunities to deal around the place exists in great numbers, he obviously couldn't resist.

Hanscholo

Bench
There is no question that the Knights excutive, and board need a cleanout. They havent performed in a number of areas and the club continues to go backwards.

That isnt to say that i blame them totally for this current mess. You can put any procedures in place you like, but if a guy is stupid enough to be earning 1/4 of a million a year and has a huge future ahead of him decides to sell drugs then you dont really have anything else to do but move them on.

The catalyst for change here will be a financial one. When the sposnors walk and our debt racks up over 5 million with insovency looming, then we might see some action taken. fans will continue to stay away as they have for nearly 10 years, sposnors will run the other way, our one hope of a business partnership with Wests was ruined so they will have nowhere else to turn, either to a private consortium or to the NRL itself. At that stage one would hope that the right thing would be done, because clearly after 20 years of mismanaging probably the best NRL territory outside of Brisbane we may get someone in that realises they are sitting on a gold mine.

Alex28

Coach
*rubs forehead with hands
Mate, you are missing my point, its the locale more so then the club.
Did you even read the rest of my post other than the bit you quoted?
I did...the rest of my post applies to that. You can put whatever you want on this forum and not have to have an ounce of proof. Your wonderful tales fit right in that category.

Knights sponsors demand answers

BY JOSH LEESON, MARTIN DINNEEN AND BRETT KEEBLE
03 Mar, 2010 04:00 AM
THE Knights were in damage control yesterday as a backlash from angry sponsors over the Chris Houston drugs scandal added to the club's already perilous financial situation.
Beer sponsor Bluetongue is reviewing its $800,000-a-year deal, and long-term supporters NIB and EnergyAustralia have called on the club to show cause why they should not withdraw their financial backing.
Meanwhile, the Knights appeared to be at odds with naming-rights sponsor Coal & Allied over the status of their partnership.
Knights chairman Rob Tew was in Brisbane on Monday with Knights chief executive Steve Burraston to meet with Coal & Allied representatives to discuss the club's partnership with the mining giant.
Tew said Coal & Allied had agreed at that gathering to extend its financial partnership with the Knights until the end of next year, though he acknowledged that meeting took place before either party was aware of the charges against Houston.
"That meeting was about broader issues, about how they see their relationship with us, and the fact that they took their option up to the end of 2011, so it was very good," Tew said.
But Coal & Allied media manager Alison Smith disputed that assertion.
"There was no decision. I don't know where you're getting that from," she told The Herald.
The Knights have an accumulated debt of more than $2.5 million. Any loss of sponsorship revenue would have serious ramifications.
The Herald revealed in January that mining and racing magnate Nathan Tinkler, the man widely touted as a potential saviour of the Knights, secretly lent the club $500,000 more than a year ago, but that has not been repaid.
While sponsors were prepared to dismiss the previous drugs scandal involving former prop Danny Wicks as a one-off, there was growing disquiet yesterday over the latest allegations.
"Bluetongue is extremely disappointed by recent developments at the Newcastle Knights and is currently reviewing our sponsorship with the club," Bluetongue spokeswoman Alana Stack said.
NIB corporate affairs manager Matthew Neat said his organisation feared it could be tarnished by association with the Knights.
"As a major and long-standing sponsor of the Newcastle Knights, NIB is extremely disappointed about recent events involving serious allegations of drug trafficking by players," Neat said.
"We are concerned for the long-term integrity of the club and the potential, by association, for reputation damage to the NIB brand.
"We eagerly await evidence that the club has taken action to fix the situation and prevent any further reputation damage."
Stadium sponsor EnergyAustralia said Knights players were major role models in the community and the company wanted evidence the club was upholding its responsibilities.
"EnergyAustra lia appreciates that the Knights have introduced a strict code of conduct, drug-testing policies and procedures, and other policies dealing with unacceptable behaviour," EnergyAustralia said in a statement.
"We have asked the club to provide information that shows what has been done to ensure all Knights representatives are complying with these policies and procedures.
"We have also asked for documentation that shows steps taken to remind all Knights representatives of their obligations to the club, its members and sponsors, and the wider community.
"We will be closely monitoring the progress of these matters, and the club's response to the information requested by EnergyAustralia, before any decision is made on the future of our sponsorship."
Kim Brant, the CEO of jersey sponsor KooGa, said his company supported the Knights management team "at this time". Wests Group chief executive Phil Gardner was on annual leave and was unavailable for comment.
Tew said the Knights had been buoyed by the general support of all their major sponsors but conceded some were worried.
"The feedback, in general - there is concern but support for how we're managing it," he said.
"But I think it would be fair to say that all prudent sponsors would be monitoring the situation going forward, just as we are. We're very appreciative of our sponsors' positions to date."
Charities and community groups have come out in support of the club.
The manager of key charity partner Hunter Westpac Rescue Helicopter Service, Richard Jones, said the club was vital to fundraising for the service and players and management were always willing to help.
"There's never a time when we can't get access to the players," he said.
Knights media manager Stephen Mount said players expected to attend charity and community events.
"When the week is a bit quieter than normal they are asking for events to attend," he said.
In 2009 Knights players and officials gave their time to 26 junior clinics and 50 community events.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...nsors-demand-answers/1765568.aspx?storypage=0

Adsy

Juniors
And if it the latter, and we've accepted his resignation and he escapes jail and is playing with another side in 2001 I am going to be pissed.

It's alright mate. Just a heads up, we win the comp that year so losing Housten won't cause too many problems.

Packy

Bench
Houston you stupid stupid mother f**ker.

I pleaed all Knights fans to stand behind their team. You have to push through this bullsh*t. Your team is > silly players and I as an opposition fan will be totally behind you this year.

nqcowboy87

Bench
As for Joey- well his "scandalous" offence was taking a recreational drug that is far more common in general society than some on here probably think. Not everybody you see at music festivals and clubs are THAT happy of their own accord...
hah

Last edited:

nqcowboy87

Bench
Cram brings up a great point in the Knights forum - the guy is in the middle of a teaching degree and is a reasonably well paid footballer. Why do you put either of those things at risk for supplying three E's and some coke?

There is much more to this story in one way or another. Either he's involved a lot more, or he's been mixed up in Wick's side business.

a time traveling footballer who allegedly deals drugs, thats gonna be some autobiography:lol:

p.s i know it was a typo

Alex28

Coach
Knights sponsors demand answers

NIB corporate affairs manager Matthew Neat said his organisation feared it could be tarnished by association with the Knights.
"As a major and long-standing sponsor of the Newcastle Knights, NIB is extremely disappointed about recent events involving serious allegations of drug trafficking by players," Neat said.
"We are concerned for the long-term integrity of the club and the potential, by association, for reputation damage to the NIB brand.
"We eagerly await evidence that the club has taken action to fix the situation and prevent any further reputation damage."

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...nsors-demand-answers/1765568.aspx?storypage=0
I assume NIB will be doing the same thing to Geelong given Matthew Stokes was charged for exactly the same thing. The Knights have done exactly the same thing as Geelong have done - stood the player down and let justice do it's course. I've found nothing suggesting NIB are taking the hard line with Geelong in the media, but when it comes to us...

EDIT - Actually, straight from Geelong's website - Geelong suspended Stokes for 7 rounds for being arrested for supply and trafficking drugs. We have stood our player down indefinitely and we are likely to lose the player all together. One team is treating the incident like a joke and has it's full backing from NIB, yet the other is taking as hard a line as they can yet NIB is out in the media threatening their sponsorship.

What bullsh*t.

Last edited:

jc155776

Coach
Mate, Stokes was found with a relativley small amount. It was for a mate (apparently, hard to believe) hence the supply charge.

Wicks was running a mini empire. Houston apparently was in on it.

Stop deflecting attention.

Alex28

Coach
Mate, Stokes was found with a relativley small amount. It was for a mate (apparently, hard to believe) hence the supply charge.

Wicks was running a mini empire. Houston apparently was in on it.

Stop deflecting attention.

3 ecstacy tablets and some cocaine is not a "mini empire". We have NO IDEA around the circumstances of Houston's incident. May have been exactly the same thing as Stokes. Who knows if he was getting it for a mate and it was a one-off thing?

Wicks is clearly different, however NIB had stated they were sticking by the club after that and the way the club dealt with it.

Give me a link to anything suggesting that Houston was part of Wick's set up? Or is this more big talking with no basis which has been absolutely rife in this thread.

Johns Magic

Referee
Wicks is clearly different, however NIB had stated they were sticking by the club after that and the way the club dealt with it

So they stuck by the Knights after Wicks did something incredibly worse than Stokes?

I don't see how that's double-standards.

johns_reds

First Grade
Difference between Geelong and Newcastle is Geelong are a good chance to win the AFL comp this year where as Newcastle are a good chance for the spoon. I know if i was a sponsor i'd be backing the team that wins a comp rather then the one that gets the spoon, what's that say about your company if you back the spooners? you like to be losers?

Alex28

Coach
So they stuck by the Knights after Wicks did something incredibly worse than Stokes?

I don't see how that's double-standards.
How about you read the rest of the thread before commenting champ.

They are now threatening the sponsorship again after Houston was charged for something - at this stage in any case - which for all we know could be similar to Stokes.

I don't know if it is any different a scenario. You don't. I doubt NIB do either.

Alex28

Coach
Difference between Geelong and Newcastle is Geelong are a good chance to win the AFL comp this year where as Newcastle are a good chance for the spoon. I know if i was a sponsor i'd be backing the team that wins a comp rather then the one that gets the spoon, what's that say about your company if you back the spooners? you like to be losers?
And now we could be getting closer to their motives - even though you are wasting your money on backing us for the spoon. We'll be in the 8.

Latest posts