What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Christian Welch

Old Timer

Coach
Beetson certainly the exception but I'd put Webke way below Arthur but if you add to Bennetts criteria a big motor well thats what Webke had that most FR's dont.
Webke from another era to Artie but I think of all the modern front rowers Webke is the “1” who could have played in that time of genuine hard men.

Funny how 1/2 time pie eating Artie is the absolute stand out of the front rower fraternity and could have played in any era.

denis preston

First Grade
Webke from another era to Artie but I think of all the modern front rowers Webke is the “1” who could have played in that time of genuine hard men.

Funny how 1/2 time pie eating Artie is the absolute stand out of the front rower fraternity and could have played in any era.

He had size, great ball skills ( out skilled the poms who were dominant in this area ) good turn of pace and of course mental & physical toughness.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
He had size, great ball skills ( out skilled the poms who were dominant in this area ) good turn of pace and of course mental & physical toughness.
Yes he’d get people through the turnstiles, never new what he might do in a game. The opposite to now where you know what your getting (or not getting) from your forwards. Kind of sad, games poorer for it

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Rushing it or not rushing it?

We need to move quickly so that our coach has the time to recruit whatever players he thinks we need and are available to strengthen our team. Players who didn't want to play for Egghead may be prepared to come to the club to work with someone of the pedigree that Griffin has.

possm

Coach
We need to move quickly so that our coach has the time to recruit whatever players he thinks we need and are available to strengthen our team. Players who didn't want to play for Egghead may be prepared to come to the club to work with someone of the pedigree that Griffin has.
Griffin never had problems attracting players in the past.

Turned into a great player under Furner and Gibson though I’m still dirty on the flying elbow on Lord Ted in the 77 semi lol

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes he’d get people through the turnstiles, never new what he might do in a game. The opposite to now where you know what your getting (or not getting) from your forwards. Kind of sad, games poorer for it

I had the pleasure of meeting Arthur when he was at Balmain , he attended our end of season awards day which was held at Lane Cove River Park waaaay back .

We played in the Balmain juniors and the club - Dennistone was most fortunate to usually have a Tiger player turn up at our seasons awards . Half a game Artie - loved his Big Ben pies or were they Sargents (?) , whatever they certainly put the weight on the man , but oh my what a player !

As already said by others he was a tremendous player , one of a kind , a player for all seasons and any decade .

Como Connection

First Grade
I had the pleasure of meeting Arthur when he was at Balmain , he attended our end of season awards day which was held at Lane Cove River Park waaaay back .

We played in the Balmain juniors and the club - Dennistone was most fortunate to usually have a Tiger player turn up at our seasons awards . Half a game Artie - loved his Big Ben pies or were they Sargents (?) , whatever they certainly put the weight on the man , but oh my what a player !

As already said by others he was a tremendous player , one of a kind , a player for all seasons and any decade .
And a great mine host at the Como Pub in the early 90's.
CC

jak

Bench

met him here on the central coast along with john peard back when they were doing there pub and club story nights they were both very easy and willing to have a chat about the old days

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
You could say..

he welched out of that deal..

images

Gareth67

First Grade
met him here on the central coast along with john peard back when they were doing there pub and club story nights they were both very easy and willing to have a chat about the old days

I never forget how the man spoke , a deep voice but also ever so calming and with a easy going smile . You felt that he was imparting something special that was only between yourself and him .

Went far too early in life , he would had made a great CEO of the NRL .

Reactions: jak