What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Churchill V Slater? Who's the best fullback ever?

Best ever fullback?

• Total voters

Knightmare

Coach
I could go back and find all those threads about how Slater was a sh*t choice for Origin fullback compared to - umm - geez - what was that hacks name again - the Broncos adopted love child of a Kiwi and a chin - the word merkin comes to mind, nahh, more like kmerkin....kherkin....... That's it - cutie!

Yeah, all those cutie>>>>Slater threads. :lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol: Nice.

POPEYE

Coach
Id like you to use video technology to disprove that Langlands and Churchill were better.

Using your logic that Melbourne getting flogged in a GF proves that they were the best side ever, it equates that Changs shocker in the 75 GF proves that he's the best - right Gramps?

Well done, but remember you're trying to kid a kidder . . . you need to practice more.

On a serious note the only person I know remotely qualified to comment on Churchill is Ray Warren and he reckons Slater is the best he's ever seen, I take it that includes Langlands. From all the foggy replays, on grounds little better than dirt tracks, it is clear Graeme may have been better than Slater at running the ball back from his line, everything else is conjecture because Langlands never had much else to do. Slater's stats make Langlands' look mediocre and if you want to compare him to anyone it should be Eadie, not Slater

Incidentally, when Langlands did make the test team he waited four years for his chance at fullback behind Thornett and Les Johns
. . . now there was a fullback

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
And if Snake had never had his injury Slater might still be on the wing!

You've got to learn to be objective, ol' mate . . . League's like a boxing match, waste of time going if you only notice the punches thrown by the bloke you want to win.

miccle

Bench
It's just impossible.

I don't think anyone can realistically compare players from such vastly different eras.
The game has changed dramatically over time, it's even difficult to look at the 80s compared with today.

Can't/won't comment on the poll question for that reason, but when it comes to fullbacks that I've seen play (1990-or so until the present), I'd say Billy is a pretty clear winner for explosiveness and sheer ability to turn a game on its head. But Lockyer was still the more consistent/complete player. Solid 8/10, if not more, whenever he played.

Billy, however, has played far more 10/10 matches at fullback than Lockyer ever could've hoped to. The occasional rock in there with the diamonds though - when he's off his game, he can be horrendous.

Fire

First Grade
It's good to see Dugan getting the praise he deserves. Can the Mods add Dugan to the poll please? He is by far the best fullback to have played the game. Ever.

DC_fan

Coach
Yes it's difficult to compare players from different eras. But what the hell it's fun to do so.

Never saw Churchill play, but did saw Langlands. Obviously seen a lot of Slater.

Read a lot about Churchill so to a certain extent I can picture in my mind what type of player he must have been. Untl Slater come along I always thought their would be no one better then the Little Master.

In my opinion not only is Slater the best fullback to play the game, he is also the best player ever.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Yes it's difficult to compare players from different eras. But what the hell it's fun to do so.

Never saw Churchill play, but did saw Langlands. Obviously seen a lot of Slater.

Read a lot about Churchill so to a certain extent I can picture in my mind what type of player he must have been. Untl Slater come along I always thought their would be no one better then the Little Master.

In my opinion not only is Slater the best fullback to play the game, he is also the best player ever.

No. Arguably the best fullback, but just no.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Many people think Churchill was the best ever, not just the best fullback. SO if Slater is bettre than Churchill, then it follows he is the best player (unless you want to argue that Smith is even better still).

Tommy Smith

Referee
It's just impossible.

I don't think anyone can realistically compare players from such vastly different eras.
The game has changed dramatically over time, it's even difficult to look at the 80s compared with today.

Can't/won't comment on the poll question for that reason, but when it comes to fullbacks that I've seen play (1990-or so until the present), I'd say Billy is a pretty clear winner for explosiveness and sheer ability to turn a game on its head. But Lockyer was still the more consistent/complete player. Solid 8/10, if not more, whenever he played.

Billy, however, has played far more 10/10 matches at fullback than Lockyer ever could've hoped to. The occasional rock in there with the diamonds though - when he's off his game, he can be horrendous.
In the 10 years we've been watching Slater i reckon i could count the number of shockers he's had on one hand.

His consistency has been his greatest quality IMO. That's why he's better than Inglis.

He puts in a minimum 8/10 performance at club level at least 22 times a year.

typicalfan

Coach
My pop (Who I still go every game with) is in his 70s and says Churchill is by far the best player he's ever seen. Langlands is second though, apparently.

Slater isn't even the best fullback in the NRL right now ffs
:lol: Who is better than him? Inglis? Please, apart from being bigger there isn't an area of the game Slater hasn't got him covered by miles.

:lol: Who is better than him? Inglis? Please, apart from being bigger there isn't an area of the game Slater hasn't got him covered by miles.

Yes. Big GI is better. Nobody can thrust into a hole from the rear like Greg Inglis, or as I like to call him... "The fairweather flyer".

typicalfan

Coach
Yes. Big GI is better. Nobody can thrust into a hole from the rear like Greg Inglis, or as I like to call him... "The fairweather flyer".
Well the last time the Storm played the Rabbitohs and a one legged Slater took on Inglis, lets just say Slater got the top bunk that night.

eozsmiles

Bench
I'm not sure how Slater can be the best ever. He is very good but only just ahead of Stewart. Hayne is better than both of them when he wants to be, but that doesn't happen often enough for him to enter the equation. There are people out there who think Dugan is better than Hayne too. Didn't even mention Barba.

So anyway, we are either blessed to have so many talented FB's around in the same era or Billy just isn't far enough of his own pack to be the best ever. The way they talk about Churchill makes it sound like he had lengths on his peers while Billy has competitors.

Fine player but not the best player ever, not the best player right now, not the best FB ever, not an immortal.

Someone mentioned Rabs Warren's opinion? Let's not. I'm surprised he remembers which one Billy is. Luv ya Rabs but time is about to be called.

beave

Coach
And the banjo pluckers emerge to have their say...........

FFS if Heather never existed you lot would be crapping on about Paul Hauff.

Oh please........ We all know Dale Shearer is the best fullback to ever take part in a kicking duel........