What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Churchill V Slater? Who's the best fullback ever?

Best ever fullback?

• Total voters

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
You'd know about it if Churchill had a bad game. I've done plenty of reading & research over the years & i've not found anything where a Churchill mistake under pressure lead to victory for his opposition.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Clive Churchill scored 13 tries in 157 first grade game. Billy Slater has scored 140 tries in 224 first grade games.

Clearly, the game has changed so much over time that you can't even pretend to make a comparison.

typicalfan

Coach
Fullbacks today have more say in attack and defense. Darren Lockyer made a just as crucial mistake in the 2008 WC final, maybe even more crucial than Billy Slater. And Lockyer is talked up as a future immortal.

POPEYE

Coach
You'd know about it if Churchill had a bad game. I've done plenty of reading & research over the years & i've not found anything where a Churchill mistake under pressure lead to victory for his opposition.

You'd be the bloke to ask then . . . how many tries did Churchill prevent compared to the few he scored.

I'm thinking of writing a story comparing the modern game to the old. In Churchill's day the forwards could hold the ball for a hundred or more tackles and all Churchill had to do was bide his time.

That's just a start, no video, wins against the feed for the fullback to catch the opposition napping, Peard hadn't yet invented the bomb, no . . . come to think of it, what a f**ked thread, unlimited tackle League was a close as netball to the modern game

Ziggy the God

First Grade
The era they each played in is too far apart to directly compare, despite playing the same position.

Though you can argue they are both the best in their own respective era.

Loudstrat

Coach
Changa anyone?

How many goals did Slater kick?

Yeah, moot point. Churchill is viewed from history books. Slater is viewed live. Yet, how can one judge? Well, Slater isnt even considered the best player today - although I'd have him very close as the best over the last 7 years. I guess Churchill has him in one aspect. Courage. The old story of the sideline conversion with a broken arm taped up with an excercise book as a splint - to give them a last minute victory in a must win game at Brookie.

Churchill still has it IMHO.

PS, round of applause for whoever mentioned the Wombat - the most damaging fullback I ever saw. Inglis approaches him like no other.

PPS, no matter which way you cut it: Hayne >>>>> Dugan.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Impossible to compare Churchill and Slater, but Langlands and Slater can be and Langlands was better than Slater IMO. I don't like Slater but the guy can play the game and is easily the best since Langlands, and that includes Lockyer (as a fullback).

Inglis will surpass them all if he gets the confidence to become a leader of his side. He's shown in the last couple of years that he's stepping up, Maguire should name him captain.

BunniesMan

Immortal
What a stupid question. How many here have seen Churchill or even Langlands play? I've heard about their greatness from many greats. I've seen Slater and he is one of the best of the modern era. And that's all that needs to be said.

The vast majority of us can not give an informed opinion when it comes to comparing them.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
There is only 1 fullback that ever lived who could single handedly carry a team with Mortimer and Robson in the halves to a Grand Final

Jarryd Hayne > Billy Slater + Clive Churchill

TheDalek079

Bench
I've got a DVD of a game that Changa played. Admittedly it wasn't his best game. He was wearing white boots at the time. Still did better in that game than what Owen Craigie did though

ROBBIE O!!!!!!!!!!!!
068324-robbie-o-039-davis.jpg

Nah in all seriousness, wasn't alive to see Churchill play so Im gonna say Slater because he is the best fullback I've ever seen play if not one of the best PLAYERS I've ever seen.

Silent Knight

First Grade
It has to be Milton Thaiday. According to Matty Johns it's only a matter of time before he's made NSW fullback. Once he gets there he'll show all of youse.

_Johnsy

Referee
And the banjo pluckers emerge to have their say...........

FFS if Heather never existed you lot would be crapping on about Paul Hauff.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I read their posts, as predictable as can be.

Spot on Loudy, as per usual.

Kiwi

First Grade
these are always stupid really. very very hard to compare players from different errors and positions, I really wish people would stop.

Mortar

Juniors
I read their posts, as predictable as can be.

Spot on Loudy, as per usual.

Oh noes the evil QLDers, the evil QLDers...

And you mentioned something about being predictable? :lol:

But i guess after 7 years that maroon coloured dildo has got to be uncomfortable.

Slammin_Saint89

Juniors
Inglis is better than slater now and will only get better. As an opposition fan, I worry more about playing Inglis than Slater. Inglis is also less of a grub.

Loudstrat

Coach
Oh noes the evil QLDers, the evil QLDers...

And you mentioned something about being predictable? :lol:

But i guess after 7 years that maroon coloured dildo has got to be uncomfortable.
I could go back and find all those threads about how Slater was a sh*t choice for Origin fullback compared to - umm - geez - what was that hacks name again - the Broncos adopted love child of a Kiwi and a chin - the word merkin comes to mind, nahh, more like kmerkin....kherkin....... That's it - cutie!

Yeah, all those cutie>>>>Slater threads. :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited: