What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Churchill V Slater? Who's the best fullback ever?

Best ever fullback?

• Total voters

Loudstrat

Coach
Cue Mortar and his brain cell with a post about KHutie being a better half forward wing pocket than Slater.

Loudstrat

Coach
Nope, in all honesty - the greatest:

1968-1.jpg

Mr Spock!

Referee
Johnny Rapergives his account of first match against the Great Clive Churchill.

"And I remember one of the first games I played against Churchill was when he was on the end of his career, and he was playing five-eighth."

"For South Sydney of course, and Dickie Pool, the coach then said, ‘Now son,’ he said, ‘you’re playing against a good player here today. It’s Clive Churchill,’ he said, ‘don’t underestimate him because he’s a fullback’, he said, ‘because he’s capable of just about handling every position.’

And as cocky as I was in those days, I said, ‘Dick, don’t worry, you won’t have any trouble with him.’

As play went on, I got a bit cockier than what I should normally do, being 16 years of age I went up and I hit Churchill and I said, (I mean with a legal tackle of course) and I said, ‘How do you like that one?’ He said, ‘That’ s good son,’ he said, ‘that’s beaut.’

Then a couple of moments later I hit him with another crash tackle and knocked him to the ground, and I said, ‘Now how was that one?’ And he said, ‘That was a lot better, by the way’, you know, he just sort of sat there and after we played the ball and before he got up he said that word, he said, ‘You know, it’s better than the last one.’

And the next time I hit him he said, ‘That was your best one, son.’ So I thought, oh well I must be getting over the old fellow. He said, ‘But next time you’d better hit me with the ball. Have a look up the other end of the field.’

Well what Clive had done he’d sucked me in, the winger come from the blind side, he give him the ball, Ian Moir it was in those days, give him the ball and Moir was putting the ball down between the posts as I was talking to Churchill.

And I always admired Churchill immensely from that day, more than what I admired him before. And it was a great pleasure, having tackled Clive Churchill, it was a great pleasure getting a lesson from him."

POPEYE

Coach
I want to meet the ten blokes that reckon Churchill or Langlands were better than Slater, considering tv coverage was virtually non existent I'd like to see their ticket stubs and compare their eyesight to mine

thorson1987

Coach
Never saw Churchill play. The only game I have seen of Langlands was from what I've heard was his worse game ever. Billy is a freak but no one comes close to the one and only Matty Seers.

My pop is almost 93. He reckons Churchill was the best he's ever seen.

But that said, he's been almost blind for the last 10 years (or very poorly sighted) so how much Billy Slater he's "seen" is a moot point.

That said, I remember him once saying if Churchill wasn't much chop, they wouldn't have named a stand at the SCG after him. LOL. Take that as you will.

Oh, and he's a St George supporter too.

Bumble

First Grade
My pop (Who I still go every game with) is in his 70s and says Churchill is by far the best player he's ever seen. Langlands is second though, apparently.

Slater isn't even the best fullback in the NRL right now ffs

Loudstrat

Coach
I want to meet the ten blokes that reckon Churchill or Langlands were better than Slater, considering tv coverage was virtually non existent I'd like to see their ticket stubs and compare their eyesight to mine
Id like you to use video technology to disprove that Langlands and Churchill were better.

Using your logic that Melbourne getting flogged in a GF proves that they were the best side ever, it equates that Changs shocker in the 75 GF proves that he's the best - right Gramps?

Loudstrat

Coach
Just after winning the 75 comp, Arthur Beetson approaches Greame Langlands - the look of shock and concern on his face is obvious after Chang played that infamously poor game. We all know the story - needle in a nerve - and he played the final 40 minutes of a grand final without being able to feel his legs.

graemelanglands_narrowweb__300x450,0.jpg

Here's Benji's reaction to Slaters howler. Absolutely no shock at all.

Benji-Marshall-006.jpg

Bumble

First Grade
My absence from here made me forget both how much I enjoy Loudstrat and also, unfortunately, how much I hate BunniesMan.

Bumble

First Grade
I get bored here during the offseason. Everyone just laughs at Souffs.

Then again, that's what happens during the on-season too.

I'm so conflicted.