What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Churchill V Slater? Who's the best fullback ever?

Best ever fullback?

• Total voters

Mr Fourex

Bench
I think Greg Inglis in the not so distant future will surpass all those that came before him.

Opposition teams don't want to kick the ball to him

They don't want to be tackled by him

He can fend off anybody at will.......

and to top it off, has ball skills like Michael Jordan.

I'm picking him as QLD fullback this year......Slater can go out on the wing.

Loudstrat

Coach
You've got to learn to be objective, ol' mate . . . League's like a boxing match, waste of time going if you only notice the punches thrown by the bloke you want to win.

Are you saying League doesnt exist without the biff?

I would have thought a Melboring fan would have made a comparison to wrestling.

Slater deserves his test spot, but he only got it because Snake was injured. If Snake was never injured, under the current incumbency preference trend, who knows? Likewise, Snake and Cutie only got a look in because Mini was injured. And if Slater gets injured, GI will wear the National 1. Who wears that jumper has been as much to do with injury as it has been about talent.

Loudstrat

Coach
I think Greg Inglis in the not so distant future will surpass all those that came before him.

Opposition teams don't want to kick the ball to him

They don't want to be tackled by him

He can fend off anybody at will.......

and to top it off, has ball skills like Michael Jordan.

I'm picking him as QLD fullback this year......Slater can go out on the wing.

That'd be handy is we replace goal post with a f*cking hoop you clown. :lol:

stormbati

Bench
Like most, I didnt see Churchill, neither did I see Langlands.
I think we can all agree that great players were great over a long period of time.

Lets just all enjoy that we get to see a great fullback love or hate him. I know when I'm telling my kids of great past players Slater will one of the first that come to my mind.

Imo he's the best player I've seen, maybe not right now and maybe never at a certain point but overall Imo I think he is. Weird!

typicalfan

Coach
Are you saying League doesnt exist without the biff?

I would have thought a Melboring fan would have made a comparison to wrestling.

Slater deserves his test spot, but he only got it because Snake was injured. If Snake was never injured, under the current incumbency preference trend, who knows? Likewise, Snake and Cutie only got a look in because Mini was injured. And if Slater gets injured, GI will wear the National 1. Who wears that jumper has been as much to do with injury as it has been about talent.
I think he means being less one eyed. Brett Stewart was red hot in 2008 but Slater was still the more well rounded fullback. Brett Stewart has a try scoring record of the envy of the best fullbacks of all time especially at home and if he never got injured I think he would be talked about in a similar vein to Slater.

I think Slater over the last 5 years or so is a few levels above what he was before then.

Loudstrat

Coach
Possibly so. My point was that the last test fullback to win his position purely on merit, and not an incumbent's misfortune, retirement or positional change was Lockyer over Brasher 15 years ago. Lets not forget that Matt Bowen, arguably the form club fullback over the last decade, never got a go because rep coaches thought he was too small.

Lets also not forget that Inglis has played all over the place in rep sides and has always been picked if fit. Slater cannot boast that. His abilities probably warranted it, but 5 years ago the majority of Queenslanders couldnt cope with him in their sides because of Karmichael Hunt, Brent Tate and Adrian Mogg. Now he's better than Churchill all of a sudden! If there is ANY current player destined to be held in the esteem of the likes of Churchill, Langlands, Irvine, Brown or Messenger twenty years after their retirement it will be Greg Inglis.

Pops just thought - as only a complete f*cktard would - that I would show favouritism to someone because they played for Manly. :lol::lol:

Loudstrat

Coach
Here's another brief thought - although the positions are different, is Slater really offering anything more than Andrew Ettingshausen did?

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Fullbacks today have more say in attack and defense. Darren Lockyer made a just as crucial mistake in the 2008 WC final, maybe even more crucial than Billy Slater. And Lockyer is talked up as a future immortal.

The worst game I ever saw Lockyer play was in 1998. Robbie O'davis went off injured and Lockyer replaced him and it was a mistakeathon! Cost Australia the game vs NZ without a doubt.

Noa

First Grade
On the Inglis - Slater debate, in my time watching them in there 7 years in top trade together, each has 3 seasons IMO where they outperformed the other clearly. Inglis in 06,09 and 12 slater in 07, 08 and 11. Neither did much in 2010.

Go back to the end of 09 on lu and there werent many who were taking Slater over Inglis and since then they've had 1 great season each. Take into account Inglis greater superiority at the higher levels its makes the no comparison talk even more bizarre.

:lol: Who is better than him? Inglis? Please, apart from being bigger there isn't an area of the game Slater hasn't got him covered by miles.

Better passer , kicking game,safer under the high ball, 1 on 1 defence, ball runner ( almost 200m a game as a fullback) just to name a very obvious few.

Last edited:

Dragon_psa

First Grade
In the current era I think Inglis is a more complete fullback than Slater.

All time, my favourite fullbacks to watch back in the day were Brasher and Mullins.

Churchill any day of the week. I honestly think the only immortal out of the big three will be Cam Smith. Cronk came on too late and Fullbacks are a dime a dozen these days so many good one's and Slater I don't think stood out enough when there was Brett Stewart, Matt Bowen as well.

Tone83

Juniors
Every fullback in the nrl today is better than churchill.

He was a small weak little gentlemen with cunning and guile, wouldn't make it into an under 16s team today because some samoan kid would be better than him in every department.

GI is the greatest athlete in the history of the southern hemisphere, do the math.

Mortar

Juniors
Slater cannot boast that. His abilities probably warranted it, but 5 years ago the majority of Queenslanders couldnt cope with him in their sides because of Karmichael Hunt, Brent Tate and Adrian Mogg.
You have to be the dimmest f**kwit here and that massive chip on your shoulder is the reason. You think a footy player slides out at birth a great player and doesn't earn a rep spot due to his skills maturing as his career evolves. Everyone has to wait their turn dickhead.

f**k you're a dumb merkin. :lol:

Tommy Smith

Referee

He was a small weak little gentlemen with cunning and guile, wouldn't make it into an under 16s team today because some samoan kid would be better than him in every department.

GI is the greatest athlete in the history of the southern hemisphere, do the math.
Wipe your chin, you're dribbling.

To say that Tim Moltzen is better than Clive Churchill is pretty funny. Im sure Tigers fans agree.

Im assuming that Matty Bowen, Brett Hodgson and Ben Barba - just to name three - fit into your lazy description of "small weak little gentlemen with cunning and guile". Pretty good though aren't they?

I dont recall Alfie Langer or Preston Campbell getting run over by "some Samoan kid" either.

BranVan3000

Coach
307525-tim-moltzen.jpg

The best there ever was. The best there'll ever be.

Is this Moltzen pretending to score a try during the warm up? I'm confused

Loudstrat

Coach
That's because he's dead.................ffs!

Matt Bowen is the same height as Churchill was - name the Samoan kid that is better han him in every department.

Oh, and of course Churchill wouldnt make it into an under 16's team - if he was alive he'd be 86!!!!!! Do the maths!

GI is the greatest athlete in the history of the southern hemisphere,
If you are referring to Gnathan Ihindmarsh, you are correct
do the math.
What are you? A f*cking yank??????

You have to be the dimmest f**kwit here and that massive chip on your shoulder is the reason. You think a footy player slides out at birth a great player and doesn't earn a rep spot due to his skills maturing as his career evolves. Everyone has to wait their turn dickhead.

f**k you're a dumb merkin.
Please tell me, oh genius, at which point was Slater worse than Mogg??? :lol:
And when has it ever been the case that a player only plays rep footy when their skills have stopped maturing???? If that was the case, you could have played for Queensland as a 6 year old, because that's when you stopped f*cking maturing :lol:

Slater was never worse than AFLHunt - whom you probably still spank over!